Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Im so stupid.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:46 pm
My 6 week old failed her hearing test in the hospital. DH took her to the pediatrician a few days later to do a baby check up and ask about an audiologist near us. We were referred to an audiologist who is very good, top of the line and made an appointment. They couldn't give us right away but the earliest they had was for this coming sunday. We took it. Due to being sleep deprived, pesach, nursing, ppd, dealing with my near 2 yr old, it completely slipped my mind that if I couldn't find an appointment within the first month of my daughter's life I was supposed to take her back to the hospital to do a repeat hearing test. Now we got a letter about it in the mail from the hospital and I am really panicking. Should I call and tell them that she has an appointment next week? Or are they still going to give us problems anyway? So worried and scared.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:47 pm
Tell them you have an appointment

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:58 pm
I would just tell them they have an appointment. It's not really such a big deal. My 11-week-old still didn't have a hearing test. (Two of my other children never had one as a newborn either)

happy chick

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 8:58 pm
They're not coming after you. They have a legal obligation to follow up. You just tell them you have an appointment coming up. They may make note of it and call you back to make sure yo u actually went. Don't panic. It's all good.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 9:10 pm
Why are you scared? They're not out to get you
You're the parent, you're responsible, their just following up and giving you the option to bring baby in
What exactly are you scared of?

amother
Clear

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 9:13 pm
You’re not stupid. You’re overlooked and tired and it’s making you a bit paranoid.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 9:47 pm
There are benign reasons they can fail just after birth- my baby failed twice in the hospital and passed two weeks later. They thought he probably had fluid in his ears from the delivery.

You're going in a few days. Iyh it will all be ok!

myname1

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 1:35 am
I agree with the above. It's your baby. You do what works for you. They have to give you the option to come back. But it's up to you. It's not considered neglect or anything if you don't go. Mazal tov and lots of nachas from all of your children! And hope you get some time to rest and relax.

gottago

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 4:44 am
Please don't be so hard on yourself. You're not stupid, you made a mistake.
In general, if you wouldn't say something to others, you shouldn't say it to yourself.
Think what you would say if your friend told you this story, would you say "ugh, you're so stupid"? Presumably not. So figure out what you would say to someone in this situation and say it to yourself.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 5:22 am
I don't want to be that person but are you generally very anxious?

I mean yes, call to acknowledge the letter and let them know you have an audiologist appointment. They'll either say ok great, or they'll say required policy blah blah come in anyway, which you could probably ignore because what are they going to do for you that the audiologist won't.

But the original post sounds very emotional for this and I'm a little concerned for you. Iyh you and your baby will have a long and full life together and you'll forget a lot more things. It'll be fine.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 5:59 am
OP, if you’re a normal person you’ll likely do a lot more stupid things than this. Try not to stress too much because you’ll have a lifetime of stress ahead of you if you let these things get to you like this.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 8:40 pm
My baby failed hospital screening. And then twice doctor screening. Life got busy, baby started babbling, turning at his name, and I completely forgot about it. Wish hospital was on top of me. As he got older we released he had frequent ear infection, never cried. His hearing was muffled. He ended up with ear tubs till age 6.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:27 pm
One of mine failed the newborn hearing. When I took them to the audiologist a few weeks later, they said it was very normal for newborns to have fluid in their ears and to fail the hearing test.
The letter is just a formality to remind you. It's an automated letter which you can ignore. The same way I get letters from the paediatrician reminding me of vaccinations or other tests that need to be done.
The easiest thing for you to do is to call up and say that you have an appointment already booked. And they will be fine with that. They just need to tick it off in their records.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics