Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I being stupid?
Previous  1  2

otstud

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:12 pm
If you are making healthy eating decisions and adding exercise/movement to your life you are doing the best thing for yourself and on top of that you’re losing weight. It’s win/win. Don’t stop! Btw, there are so many overweight people all around, I’m not seeing less at all. The older I get, the more people I know that are getting heavier.

amother
  Cobalt  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:13 pm
You might need to start with an attitude adjustment as to body weight. For example, if I am nearsighted, I wear glasses. Most people don’t blame themselves for being nearsighted - it’s genetic and environmental. How about bigger issues like infertility - even though it’s so sad to go through, people focus on finding a cure as opposed to a blame game. So why with obesity is it viewed as a moral failing, like you are bad? And the only way through is by “white knuckling” it? I think that once you internalize a new way of thinking, then you will be less resistant to medication. (That being said, medication nowadays is expensive, has many side effects, requires injections, and doesn’t always work).

amother
Sage

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:24 pm
You’re being smart

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
You might need to start with an attitude adjustment as to body weight. For example, if I am nearsighted, I wear glasses. Most people don’t blame themselves for being nearsighted - it’s genetic and environmental. How about bigger issues like infertility - even though it’s so sad to go through, people focus on finding a cure as opposed to a blame game. So why with obesity is it viewed as a moral failing, like you are bad? And the only way through is by “white knuckling” it? I think that once you internalize a new way of thinking, then you will be less resistant to medication. (That being said, medication nowadays is expensive, has many side effects, requires injections, and doesn’t always work).

I don't think I'm bad for being obese. I've lost more weight in my lifetime than many people, I have plenty of willpower. I know it's not my fault. I am not not doing shots to punish myself or something like that. I'm resistant because of the side effects and the cost. I think hypothetically losing weight without meds if possible is healthier, I'm just not sure I'm capable.

violet1

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 11:07 pm
I definitely get where you're coming from. On shabbos I was sitting with a neighbor telling her how I've made a change in my watch habits, small realistic things that I can stick to. But it's taking so long to get where I need to be.

She has also been struggling for a long time with her weight and wants to get the shots, but she's not ready to stop nursing her baby yet.

I know that when she starts the shots her weight will come off much faster than mine and I'm preparing myself for that and I'm happy for her. I'm not jealous and I don't want the shots because I don't think they'll solve my bad eating habits. So I'm sticking to the old fashioned way and hoping that it works in the long term.
Two other women in my area went the surgery route and they look amazing and light happy. But I also don't think that's right for me.

Wishing you lots of patience and health!

Tof Umachol

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:20 pm
I definitely think you are the one making the smart choices here. Gradually changing your habits is the wisest way to go, especially when you think long-term.
Please don't give up! I know from experience how frustrating it is to work so hard and not always see results, and even when you do, you see them only bit by bit. But the longer it takes to lose the weight, the more likely it is to stay off. If it is permanent weight loss you are aiming for, together with better health all around, I think you are going about it exactly the right way.

amother
  Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:33 pm
I was thinking about you this morning. As long as you are okay health wise and not suffering, it’s fine to wait until the medicines get better and cheaper.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise