Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Any more gentle sleep training that worked for you?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:47 pm
I have a 10 month old who is still waking up a few times a night and needs feeding to calm down! Don't want to leave him to cry (I saw it won't work for him) so I'm looking for recommendations of a more gentle approach with little crying as possible Sad
Please help an exhausted mama! Thank you !

bsy  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:22 pm
There is no such thing as no crying. All effective methods involve some crying. But you can be there with your baby the whole time.

amother
Oatmeal  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:27 pm
bsy wrote:
There is no such thing as no crying. All effective methods involve some crying. But you can be there with your baby the whole time.

That's not true.
I start from when I bring my babies home from the hospital. No crying involved.
You start by creating a good sleep environment for the baby, and as the baby gets older, you adjust the training accordingly.
Most of my babies slept 8-10 hours by 6 weeks bh.

BPmom4

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:27 pm
Please give tips in it also and he thinks he can be like a newborn

tichellady  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:29 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
That's not true.
You start by creating a good sleep environment for the baby, and as the baby gets older, you adjust the training accordingly.
you are extremely lucky and believe me this doesn’t work for everyone

bsy  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
That's not true.

Count your lucky stars. I also started from day 3. Wishful thinking.

amother
  Oatmeal  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:34 pm
tichellady wrote:
you are extremely lucky and believe me this doesn’t work for everyone

I worked with a professional mentor.

amother
Moccasin

amother Oatmeal wrote:
That's not true.

My first baby was like this, my second was not. I used the exact same practices but my second was colicky and things weren’t so simple. Count your blessings.

OP-have you tried decreasing feedings by a little bit every night? I haven’t done this but I’ve heard many people have success with that

amother
  Oatmeal  

bsy wrote:
Count your lucky stars. I also started from day 3. Wishful thinking.

I worked with a professional mentor that guided me step by step.

amother
  Oatmeal  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
My first baby was like this, my second was not. I used the exact same practices but my second was colicky and things weren’t so simple. Count your blessings.

OP-have you tried decreasing feedings by a little bit every night? I haven’t done this but I’ve heard many people have success with that

I am counting my blessings bh.
My colicky allergy baby, didn't sleep through the night till 4 years old.

bsy  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:

I did a lot of research and took a course. Every baby is different. And not everyone can afford private coaching one on one. I did that for a different child and it was extremely expensive.

amother
  Oatmeal  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:41 pm
bsy wrote:
I did a lot of research and took a course. Every baby is different. And not everyone can afford private coaching one on one. I did that for a different child and it was extremely expensive.

You said that there's no such a thing as sleep training without crying. I'm just saying that there is such a thing.
(And the mentor I used really wasn't expensive. I used her for my 1sr & then followed the same steps & read the book she gave my with my other kids.)

bsy  

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:43 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
You said that there's no such a thing as sleep training without crying. I'm just saying that there is such a thing.
(And the mentor I used really wasn't expensive. I used her for my 1sr & then followed the same steps & read the book she gave my with my other kids.)

Maybe if you start on day one. The baby in the op is 10 months old.....
Which coach did you use?

amother
Snow

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a 10 month old who is still waking up a few times a night and needs feeding to calm down! Don't want to leave him to cry (I saw it won't work for him) so I'm looking for recommendations of a more gentle approach with little crying as possible Sad
Please help an exhausted mama! Thank you !

This is what worked for me
I put a sippy cup into my baby’s crib and when she woke up I held her offered her sippy cup and paci she cried for afew minutes (it helped to hold her back to my stomach so it wasn’t like she was in the nursing position but I was saying no) and then calmed down and accepted either one usually her paci first then drank when she was almost sleeping I put her in her crib making sure she realized her sippy cup was there after a couple of days she learnt to take it on her own

michimochi  

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:21 am
For my baby, 2 things made a huge difference:

1. Putting her to bed earlier (changed bedtime from 10pm to 8pm), and

2. Having a bedtime routine. Ex: 7:15 bath, then lotion and pajamas, bedtime book, nurse and fall asleep.

Also, I read that baby getting solid, regular naps throughout the day helps them sleep at night. Have found this to be true.

I also do something similar to the above-mentioned sippy cup setup, but just with a pacifier. And when baby does wake up, I pick her up and rock her until she calms down, trying to get her to fall asleep and forget about nursing. Works most of the time. It's like a combination between the pick-up/put-down sleep training method and just troubleshooting with natural sleep habits.

tichellady  

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:32 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:

A Professional mentor can’t make colic or feeding issues or failure to thrive go away. I’m happy your baby slept well but don’t assume that other people’s babies sleeping issues are a result of their parent’s poor habits. My baby cried for hours while I would try to hold and feed her and I wasn’t even trying to sleep train her, just to soothe her. You are very lucky to have had a healthy, easy, calm baby

tichellady  

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:33 am
michimochi wrote:
For my baby, 2 things made a huge difference:

1. Putting her to bed earlier (changed bedtime from 10pm to 8pm), and

2. Having a bedtime routine. Ex: 7:15 bath, then lotion and pajamas, bedtime book, nurse and fall asleep.

Also, I read that baby getting solid, regular naps throughout the day helps them sleep at night. Have found this to be true.

I also do something similar to the above-mentioned sippy cup setup, but just with a pacifier. And when baby does wake up, I pick her up and rock her until she calms down, trying to get her to fall asleep and forget about nursing. Works most of the time. It's like a combination between the pick-up/put-down sleep training method and just troubleshooting with natural sleep habits.

It’s worth trying but unfortunately quite hard to actually make babies nap during the day, as any mom can tell you

michimochi  

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:36 am
tichellady wrote:
It’s worth trying but unfortunately quite hard to actually make babies nap during the day, as any mom can tell you

You obviously don't "make them" nap, just like you don't "make them" sleep or "make them" eat. The idea is to facilitate those things for the child.

OP, I will bli neder go find the website I read about this on and link for you tomorrow.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:58 am
[quote="michimochi"]You obviously don't "make them" nap, just like you don't "make them" sleep or "make them" eat. The idea is to facilitate those things for the child.

OP, I will bli neder go find the website I read about this on and link for you tomorrow.[/quote
Of course. I am just saying that I think many of us work very to facilitate these things and it doesn’t work and then people make it seem like it’s our fault that our baby doesn’t abide by wake windows or feeding schedules or the eat, play, sleep method etc

michimochi

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:06 am
tichellady wrote:
Of course. I am just saying that I think many of us work very to facilitate these things and it doesn’t work and then people make it seem like it’s our fault that our baby doesn’t abide by wake windows or feeding schedules or the eat, play, sleep method etc

This is true. I guess I would rather see it as a positive hopeful situation wherein this is worth a shot. As long as we try things, it is not our fault if it doesn't end up working for that particular baby.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics