Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Is there any way that I can do my own makeup and still look
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:41 pm
Yes. I have Mac base, Mary Kay blush. Linique bronzer powder, Revlon colorstay lipstick which I will seal, urban decay all nighter setting spray, I have some Mary Kay primer, clinique powder eyeshadow

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:42 pm
The only time I had my makeup done professionally was as a test-run a week before my wedding.
Kallah teacher convinced me it was a good idea even though I was reluctant

I broke out in a huge rash and ended up with a tremendous pimple on my chin

I ended up doing my own and using a ton of cover up

I'll never use a professional again.

My dd is a kallah and I absolutely plan to do my own makeup.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:42 pm
Waterproof mascara or regular, drugstore brand

top mom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:58 pm
I had my sister's wedding a year ago.
I decided to do my own makeup.
I wanted to save the money, obviously, but I also loved the fact that I didn't have to rush out for a makeup appointment on such a busy day.
There was an amazing thread here, then, where a professional MUA suggested products. I got a whole bunch of great stuff for under 30 dollars probably, and I'm still using them.

amother
  Opal

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes. I have Mac base, Mary Kay blush. Linique bronzer powder, Revlon colorstay lipstick which I will seal, urban decay all nighter setting spray, I have some Mary Kay primer, clinique powder eyeshadow

Which Mac foundation do you have?

I would add a face primer - I really like this one:
https://www.sephora.com/produc.....aw.ds

amother
  Stone

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:50 pm
amother Opal wrote:
You do not need to do contour. Bronzer, blush highlight is plenty.

I personally don't agree with this especially for professional makeup. (Talking as someone that did my own makeup for my vort! and everyone thought it was professional...)
Yet the OP specifically mentioned she wants to look good in pictures. Contouring and highlighting does for the face exactly what photography lighting is supposed to do. Most people by simchas have both- if she wants to look good in the pictures this is what she needs.
If OP knows how to contour professionally- then go for it!
I also make sure to add in a white sparkle in the inner corner of the eye- helps with the professional look.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
For sons bar mitzva in my home

I would definitely do my own make-up. Even if the Bar Mitzvah were in a hall.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:59 pm
One important thing if you’re doing your makeup alone, is that your foundation should not have SPF in it because it will cause a flashback in photos.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:00 pm
I did my own for one of my son's bar mitzvah's and I'm so glad I did! I like the way I do it, plus I did it in my own time, and much quicker than if I'd gone to have it done professionally. Instead I bought the expensive foundation that I use for Shabbos/simchas so the money lasted a lot longer, and it was something that I was anyway going to buy at some point.

The pics are great. No different to if I'd gone somewhere to have it done.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Waterproof mascara or regular, drugstore brand

There are great Youtube instructionals that helped me do my own makeup for our simchas. I too was afraid of a skin reaction to someone else's makeup. Same pimple on chin story. Zol zein a kapara...

I would watch a variety of them so you can decide what will work for you.
Do a trial run. Then try on dress so you get the whole effect, shoes too...
Time yourself so you know how much time to lock the door. Plan a well lit room. Do eyebrows at least one day earlier. Also nails if you are doing them.
Buy good mascara - I prefer the waterproof smudge-proof, long lasting ones but whatever works for you.) with the idea that the make up will service you well over the next few months as opposed to a one night splurge. Perhaps a night perfume too.

Layer the lipstick, more than one layer for sure!, layer the mascara as well. Take some blush and whatever with you to the simcha for touchups in the bathroom but Im hoping you will be too busy to care.....

Mazal tov!!

amother
Ruby  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:19 pm
amother Opal wrote:
You do not need to do contour. Bronzer, blush highlight is plenty.

IK it's controversial, but I agree 100%. "Good" contour looks so bad. It makes women look gaunt and unfeminine, plus, even well applied contour can't fool the eye from all directions. Maybe a little subtle sculpting can look good, but people overdo it a lot. Blush, bronzer and highlight applied skillfully can do a lot to shape the face without creating harsh angles.

amother
Mintcream  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:21 pm
I did my own makeup for my last 3 siblings weddings. I don’t even consider myself that great with makeup, I went to the store to get the face makeup matched to my skin tone and watched YouTube videos for it.

For eyes you don’t need to do anything crazy, I did a neutral smoky eye. I watched a video it was super easy

tweety1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:26 pm
I do it all the time. It looks great. I always get comments from people asking me who did my makeup.

scruffy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:26 pm
The only reason I prefer using a makeup artist is for false lashes since I can't get them to look right on my own.

Otherwise, I would and have done my own makeup for family weddings.

You will need to allow yourself enough time to work slowly and in layers. Make sure you moisturize and use primer, and set any cream/ liquid products with powder as well.

amother
  Mintcream  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:46 pm
As I had a wedding recently I’ll share my routine:

Face wash
Toner
Moisturizer
Primer

Correcter
Concealer
Foundation
More concealer
Contour (I used makeup by Mario. My favorite was KKW but no longer made..)
Bronzer
Highlighter
Blush

Brow pencil
Brow gel

Eyeshadow primer
Eyeshadow- lid, crease, outer eye
Eyeliner
False lashes (ask for help! These are a huge pain)
Mascara

Lipliner (tiny bit)
Long lasting lipstick (I used a hydrating glossy type but stayed all night)

Setting spray (I have tried a few and am happiest with Mac prime+)

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 6:06 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I do it all the time. It looks great. I always get comments from people asking me who did my makeup.
What products do you use?
Do you have naturally good skin?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:32 pm
Thanks so much everyone! Very helpful advice!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
For sons bar mitzva in my home

Yes it's something you can save money on in this case.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 12:54 am
The difference between a made up face and just slapping on makeup is the layering.

you can start with primer, foundation/concealer,( love estee lauder double wear)
dab it on with a wetish sponge after applying.
put foundation powder- also estee lauder.
bronzer/highlighter/ blush- I love to contour! and then dab on top with the used foundation sponge so it gets another thin layer.
spray.
here you can apply a bit more powder. correct the contour, make sure not overdone. spray again.

for lipstick, everyone's lips are different but I use maybeline superstay dreamer I think its called. dab it off with a tissue and apply again a few minutes later. and ill highlight it with powder which also helps stay on and looks so cool if applied correctly.
I dont have good eye tips, because I don't wear a lot- I use concealer on top and bottom and very basic powders to blend it in. a bit darker colour at the crease of eyelid and at outer corners. applying a very white powder on the middle looks great.
mascara - use telescopic- its fantastic.

I'd love to hear if anyone disagrees with my tips because Im self taught - watched lots of tutorials over the years:)

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:07 am
OK I checked my makeup and tada.....it has spf!! Most foundations have it! Which affordable one should I get that doesn't have spf?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics