Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is wrong with my son?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:06 pm
My 8 year old is out of control lately. Since the start of the school year he's always in a bad mood. Always yelling, yells at every tiny thing. Extremely chutzpahdig, talks back constantly. And even gets physical at times. He used to be so sweet and well behaved. Literally can't take it anymore, I'm losing my mind from him.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:09 pm
Is he struggling in school? Is he keeping up academically? Is he being bullied? Are his teachers not being nice? This is usually a cry for help. I'd have him evaluated and start him in therapy. Also figure out what's happening at school with friends and teachers.

( Be prepared to be bombarded with pandas, it's apparently the only answer to anything nowadays )

Genius

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:10 pm
Ask him if anything is going on. He might not be a good click with his rebbe. He might be under stimulated. He might be over stimulated. He might be bullied. If it’s a new schedule, it might be a hard adjustment.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Is he struggling in school? Is he keeping up academically? Is he being bullied? Are his teachers not being nice? This is usually a cry for help. I'd have him evaluated and start him in therapy. Also figure out what's happening at school with friends and teachers.

( Be prepared to be bombarded with pandas, it's apparently the only answer to anything nowadays )

Hes one of the top in the class so yes definitely keeping up. There is one teacher he complains about all the time but the other ones he likes. If that enough to be causing this?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:21 pm
Pandas or lyme
There I said it
Just so you know I suffered in hell for 8 months while my marriage crumbled from the stress and my child became more and more insane until someone here told me pandas. I have no shame being the one to say pandas.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Pandas or lyme
There I said it
Just so you know I suffered in hell for 8 months while my marriage crumbled from the stress and my child became more and more insane until someone here told me pandas. I have no shame being the one to say pandas.
I second this. My child went from sweet, easygoing and well adjusted to an aggressive, violent, rigid, defiant nightmare. Treating infections and inflammation brought her back.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:34 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I second this. My child went from sweet, easygoing and well adjusted to an aggressive, violent, rigid, defiant nightmare. Treating infections and inflammation brought her back.

How did you treat?

tryingmybest100

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:35 pm
There can be so many things going on, but don’t dismiss this as a phase. You need to fully evaluate everything from social, emotional, and physical. You can definitely start with open communication. A good way to get him to share would be to ask him if he could change one thing at school and at home what would it be? Try not to be too direct if he’s not confrontational. Some kids do respond well to straight questions so you can be more direct. The point is he needs to know you are on his side and wanting to help him. You can’t come from an annoyed place where you are fed up with his crazy behavior. You have to tell him that you are noticing things are difficult and you want to make things better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics