Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I`m from Stamford Hill, London AMA
  1  2  3  14  15  16  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 6:46 pm
Although it`s getting late here so I will try to reply to your questions if I still manage tonight, otherwise it will have to be tomo.

amother
Magnolia  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 7:15 pm
Hi There I'm from Stamford Hill too! I really wonder if we know each other...
To which chasides do you belong? To what school did you go to/send? (answer only if you want)
What do you like about sh and what do you wish would be different?
I love the accessibility to get to places like I have the underground 2 mins away, West End is literally my neighbour!
I also love that we get uc! we don't realize how lucky we are.
What I love most is that people are not judged by there chasides or head covering I am chasidish and always felt comfortable with more modern neighbours, in beis brucha.
I wish there would be more job opportunities for chasidishe girls other then teaching.

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
To which chasides do you belong? To what school did you go to/send? (answer only if you want)
I love the accessibility to get to places like I have the underground 2 mins away, West End is literally my neighbour!
What I love most is that people are not judged by there chasides or head covering I am chasidish and always felt comfortable with more modern neighbours, in beis brucha.
I wish there would be more job opportunities for chasidishe girls other then teaching.

There are plenty of8ce jobs available

amother
Navy  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:06 pm
Stamford Hill has become very chassidish. When I was growing up it was much more of a mixture. I went to YHS where half the class was litvish. Most of my friends who are not chassidish live now in GG or Manchester and Gateshead.

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:16 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Stamford Hill has become very chassidish. When I was growing up it was much more of a mixture. I went to YHS where half the class was litvish. Most of my friends who are not chassidish live now in GG or Manchester and Gateshead.

Correct. Also, all the children of the old timers 69'rs became chassidish.
Majority of the children of Chabad families moved away on Shluchis or to Crown Heights.
Litvish Young couples go to Eretz Yisroel and the ones coming back to the UK, do not return to Stamford Hill.

Also, nowadays there are much more Modern Chassidish families, then ever before, living in Stamford Hill.

amother
  Navy  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:19 pm
The Tottenham area used to be full of Tottenham Adass families. Now most of them have married off all their kids and are selling their houses and moving to their children.

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:23 pm
amother Navy wrote:
The Tottenham area used to be full of Tottenham Adass families. Now most of them have married off all their kids and are selling their houses and moving to their children.

The Tottenham Adass kehillah is really shrinking. I fear that in a decade or so, it may have to close down.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

What is uc?

amother
Beige  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
What is uc?

It's the worst thing. It's a poverty trap in the UK, a program that pays your rent.
To qualify, you have to earn less than a certain amount and not have more than 6k in the bank.
All the yiddishe girls and boys get married knowing that their rent is covered, healthcare is free, and petty cash comes from the wifes teaching.
So no one goes to work and no one has real money.

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Beige wrote:
It's the worst thing. It's a poverty trap in the UK, a program that pays your rent.
To qualify, you have to earn less than a certain amount and not have more than 6k in the bank.
All the yiddishe girls and boys get married knowing that their rent is covered, healthcare is free, and petty cash comes from the wifes teaching.
So no one goes to work and no one has real money.

The rents are sky high. Universal Credit doesn’t cover anywhere near your entire rental costs. (Back in tne day you got your full rent paid by Housing Benefit). You can only receive the maximum of LHA rate. Landlords charge way way more than that.
People are working just to cover their rent shortfall. Energy and food costs are very expensive too.
There is no way in the world, that a frum family can survive on UC and child benefit/child tax credits.
People are seriously struggling.
Now more than ever, the heimishe workforce is going strong with so many people being employed and many more searching for jobs. People who were planning on staying long term in learning , have taken jobs in chedorim, yeshivas , giving private lessons, becoming a melamed oor taking office jobs etc.

amother
  Beige  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 11:05 pm
Ruchi wrote:
The rents are sky high. Universal Credit doesn’t cover anywhere near your entire rental costs. (Back in tne day you got your full rent paid by Housing Benefit). You can only receive the maximum of LHA rate. Landlords charge way way more than that.
People are working just to cover their rent shortfall. Energy and food costs are very expensive too.
There is no way in the world, that a frum family can survive on UC and child benefit/child tax credits.
People are seriously struggling.
Now more than ever, the heimishe workforce is going strong with so many people being employed and many more searching for jobs. People who were planning on staying long term in learning , have taken jobs in chedorim, yeshivas , giving private lessons, becoming a melamed oor taking office jobs etc.

But it's not like in other places where people get married with plan, and go make it happen.
People get married relying on it.
And rent is only sky high because your landlord know you're getting uc.

Ruchi  

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 11:11 pm
amother Beige wrote:
But it's not like in other places where people get married with plan, and go make it happen.
People get married relying on it.
And rent is only sky high because your landlord know you're getting uc.

In the States in places like Boro Park and Williamsburg, where majority of ppl are not entitled to Section 8, the rents are also impossibly high. Landlords will be greedy regardless.

There are plenty ambitious people in Stamford Hill who put in a lot of work and effort to open up their own business.
Men and women alike.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Although it`s getting late here so I will try to reply to your questions if I still manage tonight, otherwise it will have to be tomo.

Which school did you go to?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:11 am
I love grodzinskis. First place I go to when I visit.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:53 am
I'm here for a visit for a few days. What are must visits?

amother
Tuberose  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:27 am
I grew up in Stamford Hill and am now on shlichus. (not too far away so I come back pretty often, a few times a year) Of my classmates from LSGS, two still lives in SH, (both not chabad though) another did until recently, the rest are indeed on shlichus or live in Crown Heights or in other chabad communities around the world.

There are some young chabad families still living there but not so many, many more in NW london or (on shlichus) all over London. The chabad school is in Stamford Hill.

Universal Credit is not unique to Stamford Hill, people in other parts of the UK also rely on it too much. I don't live in the UK so not sure how it works exactly.

Debbie  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:47 am
I'm not from Stamford Hill originally but I lived there for over 30 years before making aliyah.
Actually most of that time was in South Tottenham.
When I moved there it was a much more mixed kehila but gradually became mostly Chassidish, although I'm not Chassish myself I felt something special there and I do miss it!

Debbie  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:52 am
Ruchi wrote:
The Tottenham Adass kehillah is really shrinking. I fear that in a decade or so, it may have to close down.

I was pretty much a regular at Tottenham Adas before making aliyah in 2020; even then the kehila was shrinking; I would like to think it will carry on but realistically I don't see that happening.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 5:09 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Which school did you go to?

Satmar Smile

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 5:11 am
amother Navy wrote:

I don`t know why that is exactly, but I imagine that those in the Litvish community are being supported after they get married and once the support stops it doesn`t make sense for them to come back to Stamford Hill where the property prices are sky high, so they move to Manchester or Gateshead where it is a lot cheaper. There has been a lot of movement there in the past years, mostly among the Litvish crowds.
Page 1 of 16   1  2  3  14  15  16  Next Recent Topics