Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I`m from Stamford Hill, London AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next

amother
  Candycane

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:05 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
That must be someone else. 'Moras' stayed in satmar until her very end. She was sadly niftar a few years ago.

Yes definitely someone else then

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:08 am
Grew up in Golders Green and moved to Stamford hill after COVID. I love it here.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:06 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Why do the people in Stamford hill spend money which they don't have? alot more than other places???

If you would know me, I personally do not buy in the local shops unless it`s at the end of sale or it`s a Shabbos outfit I can`t find anywhere else. I buy for my kids in Primark, Next, Matalan, Asda, H&M etc and don`t cry when I get rid of them at the end of the season. However I am aware that most people are not like me and I seriously wonder why they would spend £30 on a kid`s pyjamas but I guess it`s none of my business and everybody is entitled to do whatever they want with their money. As long as they are not getting money from tzedoka organizations for their day to day life, that is.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Did you have Moras Gluck?

I most certainly did! Can`t forget the way she kissed me on the cheek on the last day of year 11 and cried that she will miss me... It was a sight to watch every girl coming out of her office in tears.... She was a special person. Even though we had a few hundred girls in the senior department, she knew each girl by name and greeted everyone she met on the road, even a long time after she graduated. I am sad my girls won`t have her as headmistress.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:10 pm
Cspybe wrote:
For real? Im from new York. I visit Stamford hill often for simchos. I'm always amazed at how simple weddings and bar mitzvahs are. I even attended a wedding last year in the Meridian that was supposedly over the top for Stamford hill and it was like a regular standard, budget wedding in Boro park. Same with the way people dress and their houses. I dont know everyone, but the standard of living seems well in check to me.

We actually have takonos chasunos here and BH people are not embarrassed to do those weddings. There will always be people that go overboard but plenty of people in Stamford Hill I know live within their means.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Grew up in Golders Green and moved to Stamford hill after COVID. I love it here.

Are you chassidish?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:29 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Hi There I'm from Stamford Hill too! I really wonder if we know each other...
To which chasides do you belong? To what school did you go to/send? (answer only if you want)
What do you like about sh and what do you wish would be different?
I love the accessibility to get to places like I have the underground 2 mins away, West End is literally my neighbour!
I also love that we get uc! we don't realize how lucky we are.
What I love most is that people are not judged by there chasides or head covering I am chasidish and always felt comfortable with more modern neighbours, in beis brucha.
I wish there would be more job opportunities for chasidishe girls other then teaching.

I think Stamford Hill is a very nice place to live. I think people have a negative view which isn`t so accurate-no place is perfect! Someone from a different area of London once asked me if any non jews live in Stamford Hill- there are way more non jews than yidden here! Then they say that we are narrow-minded. I wish the world wouldn`t think so poorly of us. Many of us are knowledgeable and educated and actually know what`s going on in the outside world!

I loved Beis Brucha! I actually became friendly with a Modern Orthodox lady from a different area. It didn`t matter that we were so different! I don`t know if that inclusiveness is found everywhere in SH. I think in Beis Brucha people just feel connected bc they just gave birth?

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 12:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are you chassidish?

No 😊

amother
  Navy  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:52 pm
If you would go shopping before yom tov to all the local shops you would think that everyone in Stamford Hill is very wealthy when it’s actually unfortunately the opposite. Lots of people are struggling and it’s those that actually have the money go shopping to shops that are much more reasonably priced. I won’t say the names of the shops but some still have reasonable prices.

amother
  Navy  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:53 pm
It’s a shame that lots of families that get kimche depisca before yom tov end up using it on expensive clothes.

amother
White  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Navy wrote:
It’s a shame that lots of families that get kimche depisca before yom tov end up using it on expensive clothes.

Thats everywhere... not only SH

amother
  Beige  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Yep, staunch BCLer here Hi

Oh my! What year did you graduate?

amother
  Valerian  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Oh my! What year did you graduate?

2006! Had to lug my yearbook out for that Wink

amother
  Beige  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
2006! Had to lug my yearbook out for that Wink

You graduated before I started reception.

amother
  Navy  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:14 pm
Who remembers the song oh Yesodey Hatorah the link in the chain…..

amother
  Magnolia  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:15 pm
I'm probably the only one from Bnos... ver dervagt zich from bnos to have internet? Wink
I only lately became open minded and yes I felt second class as a girl for being a "bnosy" I hope my children will have a better future as there are already 2 new more frumer schools and bnos is not bnos anymore.

amother
  Beige  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:17 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
I'm probably the only one from Bnos... ver dervagt zich from bnos to have internet? Wink
I only lately became open minded and yes I felt second class as a girl for being a "bnosy" I hope my children will have a better future as there are already 2 new more frumer schools and bnos is not bnos anymore.

Are you sending them to Bnos?!?

amother
  Valerian  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Beige wrote:
You graduated before I started reception.

Haha, that makes me feel elderly Surprised .

Perhaps you were in my lil sister's class; who knows?

amother
  Beige  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Haha, that makes me feel elderly Surprised .

Perhaps you were in my lil sister's class; who knows?

Did she graduate in 18?

amother
  Valerian  

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:22 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Did she graduate in 18?

Hmm. I think '19 Scratching Head
Page 3 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics