Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I am Satmar Chassidish AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 15  16  17  Next

GLUE  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Modern, really? In the Alte Heim no women wore black tights? Everyone used to only wear beige?

In the Alte Heim no one wore tights because the were not invented yet.

I heard that in the Alte Heim women would wrap rags around there legs. Could be that undyed cloth was the cheapest that could be why people warped that color or similar around their legs.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:32 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Modern, really? In the Alte Heim no women wore black tights? Everyone used to only wear beige?

Like I said, it's about conformity more than anything else.

GLUE  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I think even Modox people know what feinshmeker means. And probably some non Jews as well.

This is the first time I heard this word and I don't know Yiddish and have no idea what it means.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I very much disagree.

Theres so many fashion and style wannabes I know, who would be complimented if they were considered feinshmekers.

Its the opposite of nebby, and is meant to describe peoples taste in furniture and decorating as well.

I like the finer things in life, does that makes me a feinshmeker?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
What percentage of, or how common is it for, married Satmar women to not shave?

According to my sheitel macher at least 30% don't shave and that number could very well be a lot higher.

Reality

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:46 pm
GLUE wrote:
In the Alte Heim no one wore tights because the were not invented yet.

I heard that in the Alte Heim women would wrap rags around there legs. Could be that undyed cloth was the cheapest that could be why people warped that color or similar around their legs.

Modern tights may not have been invented yet but people have been wearing knitted hose for hundreds of years.

amother
Nasturtium  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:58 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
chaveirim was started by my cousin in monsey who is a viznitz yingerman. Just saying.

Satmar bikur cholim is famous but satmar can't take credit for every chesed organization out there.

The original chaveirim in Brooklyn was started by a Satmar couple. Monsey came after. Plenty of chesed by all of klal yosroel but just saying.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:06 pm
I want to say again, I am only speaking from my personal experience. As I mentioned upthread, Satmar is a large group and it's a spectrum. My experiences and opinions are my own. I am not pretending to speak for anyone else.

yellowroses

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:40 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I very much disagree.

Theres so many fashion and style wannabes I know, who would be complimented if they were considered feinshmekers.

Its the opposite of nebby, and is meant to describe peoples taste in furniture and decorating as well.

Exactly, feinshmekers is actually a german word (Feinschmecker) and it means someone that enjoys nice things or good food.

amother
Cinnamon  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:52 am
amother Heather wrote:
I’m also a satmar graduate and most of my teachers were satmar graduates themselves and I can say my English is just as good as those who speak it as a first language.
I disagree that OP’s English is better than her peers. All my satmar friends and family speak and write English very very well. It almost feels like my first language

Exactly. My satmar classmates and I write very very well. At least as good as any bais yaakov girl, in my experience (working with both)
We speak english amongst our friends and family. Maybe not everyone does but it's very common.

Just had to put it in there. Many writers are from satmar!

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:36 am
I know in the Gur chassidus intimacy between husband and wife has lots of rules and restrictions.
Does Satmar get involved in your bedroom life?
If so, what are the rules?

BeB'simcha  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:41 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
chaveirim was started by my cousin in monsey who is a viznitz yingerman. Just saying.

Satmar bikur cholim is famous but satmar can't take credit for every chesed organization out there.

Satmer doesn't take credit for all organizations, but many founders of organizations are Satmar.
Just to add more. Chaim Medical, Refuah Helpline, there are more just don't remember at the moment

amother
Trillium  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:43 am
Do you or others feel limited? Is there such a thing as women singers who wouldn’t post their work in public but maybe would on a Jewish network for women? I would feel very limited being satmar in terms of creativity… Say even if I was a painter for example. Do you know what I mean?
I really appreciate the love and achdus of being satmar and similar chassidus.

BeB'simcha

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:56 am
bebesimcha24 wrote:
Satmer doesn't take credit for all organizations, but many founders of organizations are Satmar.
Just to add more. Chaim Medical, Refuah Helpline, there are more just don't remember at the moment

Actually I think they are both from KJ if anyone can confirm

amother
Poinsettia  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 2:25 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
The original chaveirim in Brooklyn was started by a Satmar couple. Monsey came after. Plenty of chesed by all of klal yosroel but just saying.

This! I know the one that originally opened chaveririm, he is as satmer as it comes from Williamsburg. Later they opened more locations.

amother
  Poinsettia  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 2:26 am
bebesimcha24 wrote:
Actually I think they are both from KJ if anyone can confirm

I believe so

amother
Leaf  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 2:53 am
How old were you when you got married?
How old was your husband?

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 3:41 am
amother Oleander wrote:
I know in the Gur chassidus intimacy between husband and wife has lots of rules and restrictions.
Does Satmar get involved in your bedroom life?
If so, what are the rules?

I'm from Satmar Williamsburg too and identify a lot with OP.
There is no involvement in intimate life. Regarding rules, a lot depends on who your Chosson/Kallah teacher was. But there are no official rules (besides Halacha, obviously) and every couple figures things out on their own.

amother
Burlywood  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:16 am
bebesimcha24 wrote:

one of the founders of chaim medical is Pessy Schlafarig ( ausch) She is Pupa.

amother
  Leaf  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:18 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
one of the founders of chaim medical is Pessy Schlafarig ( ausch) She is Pupa.

Ok… all the same LOL (to me at least)
Page 6 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics