Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I am Satmar Chassidish AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:34 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Does music / nigunim have a big role in Satmar?
Is it common for people to become Satmar or only if you're born to Satmar patients?
Can you recognize Satmar men or women or kids among other chassidim?
You mentioned that conformity is a value but you also said your family is a little different. How does that work for you?
Aside from bikur Cholim, what chesed organizations were started by Satmar?
Is marriage among relatives (e.g. first cousins) common?
Do you know people who have small families by choice?
In what cities or countries do Satmar communities exist? Would you ever consider living outside of a Satmar community?

There are certain niggunim that are uniquely satmar such as the hakafa niggun but it does not play as large a role as in other chassidusen.

Some people choose to become Satmar but not in very large numbers.

Conformity is a value but not for completely across the board. Everyone finds a space to be unique, just like everyone else. My family is not super weird, just unique within the confines of normal.

Hatzolah, Chaveirim, chavivim, shomrim, RCCS, there are for sure more that I can't think of right now.

Some people marry relatives, I don't think 1st cousins but I've heard of 2nd cousins, not super common though.

Satmar dayanim give heterim for BC pretty easily and many people space their families and yes, some are choosing to have smaller families. Many yentas just assume SIF anyway.

There are Satmar communities all over the world, NY, NJ, Indiana, Arizona, in the US. Montreal in CA. Stamford Hill in London, many cities in Israel, in Melbourne Australia and there might be some that I'm missing .

I would live anywhere with a chassidish community since I want a chassidish education for my kids. We're not particular to Satmar. We can teach our unique views and minhagim at home.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
There are certain niggunim that are uniquely satmar such as the hakafa niggun but it does not play as large a role as in other chassidusen.

Some people choose to become Satmar but not in very large numbers.

Conformity is a value but not for completely across the board. Everyone finds a space to be unique, just like everyone else. My family is not super weird, just unique within the confines of normal.

Hatzolah, Chaveirim, chavivim, shomrim, RCCS, there are for sure more that I can't think of right now.

Some people marry relatives, I don't think 1st cousins but I've heard of 2nd cousins, not super common though.

Satmar dayanim give heterim for BC pretty easily and many people space their families and yes, some are choosing to have smaller families. Many yentas just assume SIF anyway.

There are Satmar communities all over the world, NY, NJ, Indiana, Arizona, in the US. Montreal in CA. Stamford Hill in London, many cities in Israel, in Melbourne Australia and there might be some that I'm missing .

I would live anywhere with a chassidish community since I want a chassidish education for my kids. We're not particular to Satmar. We can teach our unique views and minhagim at home.

Are your kids in the satmar school system?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:54 am
amother Khaki wrote:
Are your kids in the satmar school system?

Some of my kids are, some needed a higher academic level than the Satmar system could provide and are in other mosdos.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:57 am
cb0 wrote:
How does this work in regards to tznius? What's the most/furthest someone can be on the liberal/modern side of tznius and still be okay/acceptable?

Elbows, knees, collarbones are super important. Wigs not more than an inch or 2 past the shoulders, no black tights (the absolute horror), I'm not quite sure how far would be too far though.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:59 am
amother Acacia wrote:
how are your chumash textual skills? mefarshim skills?

if you recently purchased some nice clothing online can you post links?? I have such a hard time online shopping

My chumash skills are nonexistent but I am learning to be able to help my kids with their homework.

Didn't really shop online this season, but I love dress blank. They are reasonably priced and have such great pieces.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:02 am
amother Valerian wrote:
How do you feel about shaving your head? Do you enjoy it? (I read in one of these replies you shave your head)

I absolutely hate it and feel ugly. I know that some people enjoy the feeling of comfort and the ease of showering and getting dressed/keeping hair covered. I recently shaved for the first time in many years after being told to do so by a mekubal in hopes of a major yeshua

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:09 am
chaveirim was started by my cousin in monsey who is a viznitz yingerman. Just saying.

Satmar bikur cholim is famous but satmar can't take credit for every chesed organization out there.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:13 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
chaveirim was started by my cousin in monsey who is a viznitz yingerman. Just saying.

Satmar bikur cholim is famous but satmar can't take credit for every chesed organization out there.

I hear ya, just repeating what I've been told. Thanks for correcting me.

amother
Burgundy  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:14 am
amother Brunette wrote:
lol I'm not remotely chassidish and I know what a fein shmeker is.
we use the term all the time

I think even Modox people know what feinshmeker means. And probably some non Jews as well.

amother
Firebrick  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Elbows, knees, collarbones are super important. Wigs not more than an inch or 2 past the shoulders, no black tights (the absolute horror), I'm not quite sure how far would be too far though.

How (or why) are black tights a tznius problem?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:17 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
How (or why) are black tights a tznius problem?
Mr.

It's not. It's a conformity issue. The school won't accept your kids if you wear black tights because it's too modern

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I absolutely hate it and feel ugly. I know that some people enjoy the feeling of comfort and the ease of showering and getting dressed/keeping hair covered. I recently shaved for the first time in many years after being told to do so by a mekubal in hopes of a major yeshua

May I ask which mekubel? I'm in the need of a yeshua..

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:18 am
amother OP wrote:
I recently shaved for the first time in many years

Is shaving only optional (not mandatory) in Satmar?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:18 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
I think even Modox people know what feinshmeker means. And probably some non Jews as well.

To the best of my understanding it's used as a derogatory term akin to JAP, and I'm trying to figure out why someone would ask another person that

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:19 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
May I ask which mekubel? I'm in the need of a yeshua..

I can't remember the name at the moment, when I'll do I'll try to update

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:21 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
Is shaving only optional (not mandatory) in Satmar?

To some people it's equal to or more important than shmiras shabbos. I researched all sources given and none of them felt like truth to me so I stopped. I made sure all hair was covered at all times in public.

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:24 am
amother OP wrote:

It's not. It's a conformity issue. The school won't accept your kids if you wear black tights because it's too modern

Modern, really? In the Alte Heim no women wore black tights? Everyone used to only wear beige?

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:25 am
amother OP wrote:
To the best of my understanding it's used as a derogatory term akin to JAP, and I'm trying to figure out why someone would ask another person that

I very much disagree.

Theres so many fashion and style wannabes I know, who would be complimented if they were considered feinshmekers.

Its the opposite of nebby, and is meant to describe peoples taste in furniture and decorating as well.

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:26 am
amother OP wrote:
To some people it's equal to or more important than shmiras shabbos. I researched all sources given and none of them felt like truth to me so I stopped. I made sure all hair was covered at all times in public.

What percentage of, or how common is it for, married Satmar women to not shave?

amother
  Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:28 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
What percentage of, or how common is it for, married Satmar women to not shave?

Following.
Page 5 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics