Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for friends for my son with ASD

MommyInLakewood  

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:03 pm
I live in Lakewood and have a 7-year-old son who is diagnosed with ASD. He's a bright boy who loves to learn new things and figure out how things work. He does well socially when he's doing activities that interest him, and when he's in a group with other children with similar interests. When he's in a group that is not motivating to him and with children who are not on his wavelength, he often tunes out the people around him and does his own thing. I'd love to find other children who would be good friends for my son and maybe even form a group for about an hour a day. Please let me know if you think my son would be a good peer for your child, or if you have any ideas of how I can get in touch with other mothers with children who can benefit from such a group.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:51 pm
Bump

amother
Snapdragon  

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:41 pm
I got so excited when I saw this. It's really hard to find like minded friends for my son with asd. He has Asperger's and needs boys on his wavelength to play and talk with. But he is 14 and we live in Brooklyn:(

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:13 pm
I have a almost 10 year old son with ASD. Maybe they can hook up. My son has a harder time socially but would benefit tremendously from a friend with the same interests. What are your sons interests?

Good Friend

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:41 pm
This is probably something The Friendship Circle can help with.

https://www.friendshipcircle.com/

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:46 pm
Something some people find helpful is setting up a club around their interest. So for example he likes chess, organize a chess club after school or on Sunday. The kids don't have to be the same age, and definitely don't have to have the same diagnosis. But this is often how friends are made.

amother
  Snapdragon

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:57 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
I have a almost 10 year old son with ASD. Maybe they can hook up. My son has a harder time socially but would benefit tremendously from a friend with the same interests. What are your sons interests?

Minecraft
Piano
Chess
Building and destroying with different materials
Reading
Chemistry/periodic table

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 10:02 pm
MommyInLakewood wrote:
I live in Lakewood and have a 7-year-old son who is diagnosed with ASD. He's a bright boy who loves to learn new things and figure out how things work. He does well socially when he's doing activities that interest him, and when he's in a group with other children with similar interests. When he's in a group that is not motivating to him and with children who are not on his wavelength, he often tunes out the people around him and does his own thing. I'd love to find other children who would be good friends for my son and maybe even form a group for about an hour a day. Please let me know if you think my son would be a good peer for your child, or if you have any ideas of how I can get in touch with other mothers with children who can benefit from such a group.

What are his interests?

MommyInLakewood  

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 10:28 am
My son loves animals and nature, taking things apart and seeing how things work, he loves figuring out how to get past locks, science experiments (the messier the better), technology, remote controls, and cooking/baking.
He really enjoys figuring out what makes people, animals, or things tick. For example, how would a bird react if he walked over to it slowly vs if he ran towards it. He loves figuring out exactly how things work, like exactly where and how can he stand near an automatic door without it detecting him. He loves problem solving and coming up with creative solutions to problems. Like how to open a locked door with a hanger, etc.
His best social interactions are when he's trying to figure something out with someone on his wavelength.

MommyInLakewood

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:28 pm
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)