Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Lancaster itinerary - update page 4 '23, update page 7 '24
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Leaf  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:30 pm
We found strasburg railroad really boring, it’s cool to explore the train for the first five minutes but after that it was boring for both adults and kids

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:53 pm
Bring bug spray or citronella repellent for supper at Long's Park. Also, check the hours on the petting zoo, it closes early.

amother
  Seafoam  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! How old are your kids who enjoyed it? I think my kids would love it.
But sometimes I think my kids will love something and they don't Smile (or maybe not all of them... can't please everyone all the time!)

My 3yo at the time was only interested for a few minutes. It's a dark room and everything is thru glass so you can only look at the things. I thought it would have been more hands on

amother
  Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:58 pm
There's also apple and peach picking in Lancaster

amother
Junglegreen  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:57 pm
We're in lancaster now. staying at the candlewood 8 minutes from the shul next door to that fish place, its nothing fancy but we like the full size fridge and kitchenette in the rooms.
Sunday we did that fish place (they had a reptile show) and then we went to the hands on house children museum
today we rented a swimply pool, went to kitchen kettle village (don't recommend) and the lil country store and miniature horse farm (the kids can get rides on the little horses), its right by old windmill farm so we checked that out too, they also offer tours/buggy rides, we had planned to go to the amish farm and house today but it was too hot (and im 9 months pregnant)
Tomorrow we're going to kreider farms and looking for a fun morning activity. we may do a buggy ride or check out some farmers markets.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:59 pm
Herrs potato chip factory tours are back open. My kids loved it and it's not too far.

cinnabon

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:21 pm
We stayed in double tree with small water park in the hotel. Was nice to go in the mornings while my husband was in shul, and we also went in evenings if it was quiet.

Dutch wonderland and cherry crest farm both are full day trips!! So much fun and so kid friendly .

We did hersheys chocolate tour on the way up just to break up the trip (kids did a few times in a row cuz they loved it ! And was free)

Amish horse bad buggy ride was interesting .

Next time I go would do kreiders farm- that’s supposed to be fun but we didn’t get to it.

We were there 2 years ago and have such fond memories !

amother
Almond  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:27 pm
etr wrote:
We really liked Strasburg Railroad. Sit in the first open air car behind the engine. For a rainy/hot day, consider Hersheys Chocolate World (not the theme park but same parking lot)

My kids hated the Strassburg Railroad -Train ride

amother
Copper  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:42 pm
We were just in Lancaster, in Tiny Town, which is somewhat similar to Hands On House, and I asked a random lady there if she knew any good playgrounds nearby and she told me about an incredible one, called Treehouse Playground in Littitz, we went for about an hour and my kids were only disappointed we didn't go longer. It was a really beautiful playground, it had ziplines that little kids could do, and a section for 2-5 yr olds, I highly recommend.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Copper wrote:
We were just in Lancaster, in Tiny Town, which is somewhat similar to Hands On House, and I asked a random lady there if she knew any good playgrounds nearby and she told me about an incredible one, called Treehouse Playground in Littitz, we went for about an hour and my kids were only disappointed we didn't go longer. It was a really beautiful playground, it had ziplines that little kids could do, and a section for 2-5 yr olds, I highly recommend.

another beautiful similar type park is Amos Herr Park1700 Nissley Rd, Landisville, PA 17538

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:58 pm
If we can go to only Cherry Crest Farms or to Dutch Wonderland, which would be the better choice?

amother
Moonstone  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
This exactly. I wouldn't schedule anything else for those days. There is a ton to do in both places, and your kids won't get bored. If anything, they will be upset to leave early. Also, they are expensive and IMO not worth the price for only half a day.

This is our third year going to Lancaster. Out itinerary is:

Sun - drive
Mon- dutch wonderland
Tues- water's edge mini golf and a playground
Wed-lancaster science factory
Thurs-cherry Crest farm
Fri- drive

In 2022 our itinerary waa:
Sun- drive
Mon- hand's on house children's musuem and national toy train museum
Tues- dutch wonderland
Wed- we drove out to city island and did some activities there including boat ride (pride of the susquehanna). We also went to the wildwood nature center which is free and like a mini children's musuem
Thurs- cherry Crest farm
Fri-longs park and drive home

In 2021 our itinerary was:

Sun-drive
Mon-Dutch wonderland
Tues-amish buggy ride, Strasbourg railroad and choo choo barn
Wed-cherry Crest farm
Thurs- longs park and kreiders farm tour
Drove home in evening
what is the age range of your kids? Looks amazing
Is it crazy crowded during bein ha Zmanim?

amother
  Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
what is the age range of your kids? Looks amazing
Is it crazy crowded during bein ha Zmanim?

My kids are currently 1.5-8.5 but this will be our third summer there.

We are actually not going during Ben hazmanim this summer but the first week to elul, but the last two summers we did. Tons of people vacation there, but it doesn't feel crowded because there are so many things to do and everything is spread out.

amother
  Copper  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:33 pm
We wanted to do Kreiders Farm, it was totally booked for the day we wanted.

We went to Old Windmill Farm instead and did the farm tour, it's an actual working Amish farm and you get to pet and hold a ton of adorable baby animals, and take a hayride, and right on the same property is a cute shop to look around and it's free to visit and pet the mini horses. Highly recommend, my kids (and I!) loved it!

We did a horse and buggy ride, I wasn't so into it. It goes a LOT slower than you would think! Horses at a walking pace just aren't very fast at all, and the scenery was nice but not worth the money imo.

We went to That Fish Place That Pet Place, and it definitely was nice, especially as a free filler, but what really made it worth the stop is that we accidentally picked a day that a whole reptile exhibit was visiting and my kids got to touch and hold snakes, iguanas, a tortoise, etc. Otherwise there wouldn't have been as much to do there. They do have a whole area where you can look at (but not pet) small furry animals, and a stingray touch exhibit. My kids also loved all the dogs other customers brought in.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:50 pm
What does everyone do for meals?

amother
  Copper  

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:02 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
What does everyone do for meals?

We made a bbq in a park one night with a travel grill, and just did deli sandwiches the next. For lunches we did tuna and veggies in wraps.

amother
Maize  

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:44 am
if you don't keep cholov yisrael theres turkey hill experience. and they give unlimited free ice cream and tea/lemonade samples , my kids like going there. good for a 1-2 hrs. we've combined it with the science factory same day.

mindala

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 1:25 am
What ages is the hands on house for?

Goldie613

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:33 am
Haven't been to this hotel personally, but I've my eye on it for years - some of the rooms even have bunk beds for kids =

https://fultonsteamboatinn.com/

There's a playground, duck pond and pool there too.

amother
  Junglegreen  

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:10 am
mindala wrote:
What ages is the hands on house for?

We went with our 1.5 year old, she was too young for most things but still had fun. I would guess like 3-7 is best age.
It's smaller than I expected, we stayed for about 1.5 hours
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics