Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Lancaster itinerary - update page 4 '23, update page 7 '24
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:01 am
We're planning on going to Lancaster with a few kids under age 10. Haven't gone away on more than day trips in a few years, so curious what anyone else who has done longer trips or Lancaster think of the itinerary.
My kids won't have patience to be in any one place for more than 2-3 hrs max so this is what I'm thinking we'll do (I've already looked into prices etc.):

Sunday:
Leave NJ
Stop somewhere for lunch/restrooms
Choo Choo Barn
Check in to hotel
Long's Park/supper

Monday:
Morning - Lancaster Science Factory
Lunch at hotel or park
Afternoon - Dutch Wonderland
Supper

Tuesday:
Check-out
Cherry Crest Farm (lunch)
Possibly That Pet Place/That Fish Place
Go home in the later afternoon

Does this sound feasible?

I was looking into getting two rooms either at Wyndham Lancaster Resort or maybe the Fairfield Inn and Suites (Lancaster) but the Wyndham seems much more exciting for the kids. I would want connecting rooms and a fridge so I am trying to see what my best options are. Also want something not so far from the shul so my husband won't spend so much time driving back forth to shacharis in the morning.

Anyone have any opinion/input?

flowerpower  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:05 am
Dutch Wonderland and Cherry Crest are a full days activity imo…… amish horse and buggy ride is fun

amother
Sunflower  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:15 am
Dutch wonderland has a water area and diving show so even if they don't have long attention spans you should be able to plan it out so you can spend more than 2 or 3 hours there. Tickets include preview hours the night before so if you go for so short you're really only using 1/4 of what you're paying for.

amother
Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:18 am
flowerpower wrote:
Dutch Wonderland and Cherry Crest are a full days activity imo…… amish horse and buggy ride is fun

This exactly. I wouldn't schedule anything else for those days. There is a ton to do in both places, and your kids won't get bored. If anything, they will be upset to leave early. Also, they are expensive and IMO not worth the price for only half a day.

This is our third year going to Lancaster. Out itinerary is:

Sun - drive
Mon- dutch wonderland
Tues- water's edge mini golf and a playground
Wed-lancaster science factory
Thurs-cherry Crest farm
Fri- drive

In 2022 our itinerary waa:
Sun- drive
Mon- hand's on house children's musuem and national toy train museum
Tues- dutch wonderland
Wed- we drove out to city island and did some activities there including boat ride (pride of the susquehanna). We also went to the wildwood nature center which is free and like a mini children's musuem
Thurs- cherry Crest farm
Fri-longs park and drive home

In 2021 our itinerary was:

Sun-drive
Mon-Dutch wonderland
Tues-amish buggy ride, Strasbourg railroad and choo choo barn
Wed-cherry Crest farm
Thurs- longs park and kreiders farm tour
Drove home in evening

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:24 am
Thank you so much everyone!!
Maybe we'll stay an extra day so we can do more and not overcrowd the Dutch Wonderland/Cherry Crest Farm days... or just leave out the other stuff this year.

Any input on the hotels?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:24 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
This exactly. I wouldn't schedule anything else for those days. There is a ton to do in both places, and your kids won't get bored. If anything, they will be upset to leave early. Also, they are expensive and IMO not worth the price for only half a day.

This is our third year going to Lancaster. Out itinerary is:

Sun - drive
Mon- dutch wonderland
Tues- water's edge mini golf and a playground
Wed-lancaster science factory
Thurs-cherry Crest farm
Fri- drive

In 2022 our itinerary waa:
Sun- drive
Mon- hand's on house children's musuem and national toy train museum
Tues- dutch wonderland
Wed- we drove out to city island and did some activities there including boat ride (pride of the susquehanna). We also went to the wildwood nature center which is free and like a mini children's musuem
Thurs- cherry Crest farm
Fri-longs park and drive home

In 2021 our itinerary was:

Sun-drive
Mon-Dutch wonderland
Tues-amish buggy ride, Strasbourg railroad and choo choo barn
Wed-cherry Crest farm
Thurs- longs park and kreiders farm tour
Drove home in evening

Thank you for posting this, it's very helpful!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe we'll stay an extra day so we can do more and not overcrowd the Dutch Wonderland/Cherry Crest Farm days... or just leave out the other stuff this year.

Any input on the hotels?

Double Tree and Eden have water parks so if you have an hour to kill at night you can go there

amother
Seafoam  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:35 am
Choo choo barn was really boring I wouldn't have gone if I knew

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:35 am
flowerpower wrote:
Double Tree and Eden have water parks so if you have an hour to kill at night you can go there

Thank you for your replies, I saw those, I'm not running to them just for the water parks. My kids have been having pools/water play in day camp all summer and we have sprinklers/slip n slides etc. at home so I'm not specifically looking for a hotel with a water park. They look exciting but I feel like by the time we get back to the hotel everyone will need to rest... The Wyndham I think has some play areas or game rooms which looked interesting.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:37 am
amother Seafoam wrote:

Do you think little boys (between ages 3-5) would be interested? My kids love small miniature things, playmobil, etc. from the pictures it looked fascinating.

amother
  Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:37 am
amother Seafoam wrote:

My kids loved it...we got there about an hour and half before closing and they were upset they didn't have more time

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:41 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
My kids loved it...we got there about an hour and half before closing and they were upset they didn't have more time

Thanks! How old are your kids who enjoyed it? I think my kids would love it.
But sometimes I think my kids will love something and they don't Smile (or maybe not all of them... can't please everyone all the time!)

amother
  Sunflower

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:

Any input on the hotels?

We've been 3 times for 3-4 days each and we haven't gotten bored or been able to try all the places I want to. For us Dutch Wonderland takes up 1.5 days.
What's Longs Park?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:56 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
We've been 3 times for 3-4 days each and we haven't gotten bored or been able to try all the places I want to. For us Dutch Wonderland takes up 1.5 days.
What's Longs Park?

Ok thanks! I'm so excited to give my kids this kind of experience, we've never done anything like this...
I think someone on this site mentioned Long's Park and when I Googled it it showed a really nice large park with play areas/playgrounds for the kids, a lake, I think it said a petting zoo, there were some nice pictures online. I figured it would be a good place for the kids to eat supper and play and run around/tire themselves out.

amother
  Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:59 am
amother OP wrote:

Any input on the hotels?

Definitely stay an extra day!! So worth it once you make the drive out there to get in as much as u can

amother
  Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok thanks! I'm so excited to give my kids this kind of experience, we've never done anything like this...
I think someone on this site mentioned Long's Park and when I Googled it it showed a really nice large park with play areas/playgrounds for the kids, a lake, I think it said a petting zoo, there were some nice pictures online. I figured it would be a good place for the kids to eat supper and play and run around/tire themselves out.

Yes it is a huge park with playgrounds, petting zoo, lots of grass, small lake etc. Great place to picnic and chill

amother
  Chocolate  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 12:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! How old are your kids who enjoyed it? I think my kids would love it.
But sometimes I think my kids will love something and they don't Smile (or maybe not all of them... can't please everyone all the time!)

I think my oldest was 6.5 when we went

etr

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 12:20 pm
We really liked Strasburg Railroad. Sit in the first open air car behind the engine. For a rainy/hot day, consider Hersheys Chocolate World (not the theme park but same parking lot)

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:00 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Definitely stay an extra day!! So worth it once you make the drive out there to get in as much as u can

Ok, thanks, I will see if we can work it out and if it makes sense for us.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:00 pm
etr wrote:
We really liked Strasburg Railroad. Sit in the first open air car behind the engine. For a rainy/hot day, consider Hersheys Chocolate World (not the theme park but same parking lot)

Ok thanks I will check them out!
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics