Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How much nosh do your kids take on day camp trips?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:31 pm
Just curious what the norm is. I'm a health conscious mother that tries to compromise and be accommodating and reasonable and don't want my kids left out or shnorring from other kids. Bh my kids understand and are generally reasonable as well and accepting of limits. But I really have no clue what the norm is. This is for regular weekly trips, girls, upper elementary. Lakewood day camp, if it makes a difference. Do you give them a budget? An amount of stuff they can choose?

Also, are all mothers taking their kids to choose stuff every single week? I mean, it gets old. And hard.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:35 pm
None with the exception of the water park because they get back after 10 and are hungry.

Regular trips regular snacks I would normally send nothing special.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:35 pm
I agree that this has become another ridiculous new normal that elementary school age kids need to go buy special noshes before day camp trips. And they go several times a summer.

amother
Caramel  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:37 pm
Lakewood mom here yes it’s a thing we go once a week for when they have their trip. A drink (soda ) and special snack. No clue why this became a thing but it is.

flowerpower  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:38 pm
I buy cases of water bottles, assorted snacks, small prepackaged danishes from Bingo…. And that is what my kids take. They can only go buy stuff if it’s the major trip. They seem ok with this arrangement.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:40 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Lakewood mom here yes it’s a thing we go once a week for when they have their trip. A drink (soda ) and special snack. No clue why this became a thing but it is.
1 drink and 1 snack? And your kids are ok with that? No candy, no pastries, no chocolate? I'm really asking seriously, I wish I could stick with something like this.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:40 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I buy cases of water bottles, assorted snacks, small prepackaged danishes from Bingo…. And that is what my kids take. They can only go buy stuff if it’s the major trip. They seem ok with this arrangement.
Is this different from what they take for snack on a regular day?

amother
  Caramel  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:42 pm
I mean a nosh danish candy ,…. My normal snack is chips hot sauce for a trip it’s more like smirks and mountain due.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I agree that this has become another ridiculous new normal that elementary school age kids need to go buy special noshes before day camp trips. And they go several times a summer.
I also think it's ridiculous and it's every single week. But for several reasons I can't have my kids be the ones ogling everyone else's stashes. But I don't want to go overboard and overcompensate either, so I'm trying to get a sense of what the norm is.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:44 pm
omg my daughter had a fit now she has to go with tatty to the store and pick out a nosh she thinks
a nosh is a candy I told her no a snack she said everyone goes with their mother and father !!thats
lakewood for you

amother
  Caramel

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:45 pm
That’s the truth

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:46 pm
A couple bags of snack and a drink or two like Gatorade.
I plan to stock up for a few weeks worth.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:52 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
omg my daughter had a fit now she has to go with tatty to the store and pick out a nosh she thinks
a nosh is a candy I told her no a snack she said everyone goes with their mother and father !!thats
lakewood for you

Because they can’t walk to stores. Go into a store in BP or yerushalayim and kids are in there buying tons of junk for trips. Without the parents

Tamari

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 4:54 pm
Way too much
Usually 2 chips, a chocolate, gum, cookies or a pastry, a drink and 1 or 2 "junk", candy in their language.
But, my very strict rule is, on days like that they must balance that with lots of fruits and veggies. I'll make sure they have a good breakfast, pack some celery sticks, carrots and peppers and a fruit and cook extra healthy dinner.
They appreciate the arrangement, and so do I. Honestly? They usually come home either with lots of leftover nosh, or say they shared most of it.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:14 pm
A trip every week? That is abnormal!

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:19 pm
For the small weekly trips I send 1 extra snack 1 nosh and 1 drink (besides water) it can be crystal light packet... I stock up on crystal light and 12 oz gatorades before the season
For the main trip things get out of hand but thats one of the aspects of the trip.

Highstrung  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:25 pm
Our standard for a regular small trip is:
Water and one other electrolyte drink
1 small Pre packed danish (or homemade cake or muffins if I have)
2 snack bags
1 small chocolate bar

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:32 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
A trip every week? That is abnormal!
I agree objectively it's way over the top but it seems to be the norm in day camps around here. In general the day camps are out of hand but that's a different discussion.

flowerpower  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is this different from what they take for snack on a regular day?

They only take a water bottle every day. Day camp gives snacks and refreshments….

flowerpower  

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree objectively it's way over the top but it seems to be the norm in day camps around here. In general the day camps are out of hand but that's a different discussion.

Well… blame all the mothers that follow the kids wants by being sheep. The parents are the one raising the unnecessary bar! Why do the kids need so much junk every time they go have fun? Makes little sense to me
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics