Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Should I cancel my ticket? (fear of corona)
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:38 pm
Raisin wrote:
As far as I understand, the current rule in Israel is that if you come from another country, you can't attend any gathering of more then 100 people. So if you are at a seder with 150 people, you may have an issue. My friends cancelled their trip to Israel for a wedding for this reason. They can go to Israel, but not the wedding.

Where did you see this? I have a relative going to Israel who needs to know if that's true.

amother
  Floralwhite  

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:44 pm
Is anyone actually enforcing this 100-people thing?

amother
  Papaya  

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:56 pm
Jet blue has a generous cancelation
Policy

etky  

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 3:09 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:

This is the directive from the Health Ministry:

חל איסור השתתפות בהתכנסויות מעל 100 איש, לאנשים שחזרו מכל יעד בחו״ל ב-14 הימים האחרונים

And these are the instructions from our town's Mara d'atra in regard to tefilla in shul:

התקהלויות של מעל 100 איש: כל מי שהיה בחו"ל בשבועיים האחרונות לא יכול להיות במקום שישנם 100 אנשים ויותר. זה כולל תפילה בבית הכנסת , ובמקרים כאלו כדאי לעשות מניינים יותר קטנים . כמובן שכולל גם השתתפות בחתונות , בר/בת מצוות וכו'.

Obviously there is no way to actually enforce this: they're counting on people to be responsible and there is also social pressure to adhere. However, I imagine that if it can be proven that you did not observe these directives, sanctions can be taken against you for breaking the law.

Raisin  

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 6:22 am

Social pressure, as Etky said. I think people can inform on you.

And if you do end up with the virus you will be investigated and if you are found to have gone to large gatherings, I imagine you can be prosecuted.

amother
  Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:05 am
Raisin wrote:

And if you do end up with the virus you will be investigated and if you are found to have gone to large gatherings, I imagine you can be prosecuted.

I'm wondering how it works with people coming from abroad for a wedding. It's always a gathering of over 100. Are you saying that no one is doing this?

I find it hard to believe.

etky  

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:23 am
I'm wondering how it works with people coming from abroad for a wedding. It's always a gathering of over 100. Are you saying that no one is doing this?

Amother, the situation is very new. I think there is a real fear of people coming from places where the situation is at a threshold level now and unwittingly infecting hundreds of people at one event. I have no idea what people who had wedding guests already in the country did last week but yes, the expectation is that people from chutz la'aretz should not come now for events that they should not legally participate in.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 7:29 am

Well, my friends cancelled their trip. At a wedding it is generally known who has come from abroad, so I imagine if Uncle Stanley from Far Rockaway is at the wedding and came in a day before, there will be a lot of disapproval.

etky

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Just canceled a trip from Israel to the US. Cant take any chances of being quarantined when I get back. The health ministry is urging everyone not to travel and we need to follow. If I was the cause of someone getting sick I would never forgive myself.

The media is reporting a tug of war between government ministries: Health Ministry wants to impose quarantine on those returning/coming from the US effective tomorrow- Foreign and Finance Ministries object.
Stay tuned...

amother
  Plum  

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 5:01 pm
Raisin wrote:

Yes, I heard it would be 7 years in jail!! If you get caught going to a gathering of over 100 people and give coronovirus to others. I know it sounds far fetched but better be safe than sorry.

amother
  Plum

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 5:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I'm so tired of people, including the president of the United States, comparing flu to coronavirus and getting their facts wrong.
As of January 2020 the CDC reported 13 million cases of flu and 6600 flu-related deaths.
Less than one out of a thousand people who get the flu will die. This winter it's a little more than one out of two thousand.
More than two people out of a hundred who get sick with coronavirus die. Some scientists are now saying the number is more than 3 out of a hundred, some are reporting even higher death rates.
The chances of a person dying of the flu are tiny compared to the chance of death from coronavirus. As the virus spreads unchecked all over the world we know there will be more deaths. There is no vaccine and no cure. Nobody is sure yet how the virus is spread. Nobody knows how long the incubation period or when people start shedding virus so we may have healthy people walking around infecting others all over the place.
This isn't overblown by the media. These are facts.

This. If my father gets it c.v he's most likely a gonna Sad very scary. He's due to have a pace maker put in a week after pesach. He has lots of health issues. And very young to be having all these health complications.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 7:42 pm
I am supposed to fly to Israel next week for a chasunah but am probably going to have to cancel if coming from NY I will be put into quarantine and not allowed to attend the wedding 😔
Davening for all sick people to have a refuah and hope this does not get out of hand.

elisheva25  

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:10 pm
Israel decided tonight anyone flying from New York, will have to quarantine for 14 days.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:34 pm
My husband is a travel agent and is doing many cancellations this week. One of his clients was supposed to be at a wedding in Israel. He asked reb Leibish in Antwerp and was told that he can “feel the simcha from afar”.

amother
  Papaya  

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:46 pm
1000 members of yinewrochelle are self quarantine d for weeks because of one lawyer many members have it at least twenty

elisheva25

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
1000 members of yinewrochelle are self quarantine d for weeks because of one lawyer many members have it at least twenty

Is anyone hospitalized ?

amother
  Papaya  

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:30 pm
Less than five people are hospitalized

amother
  Papaya

Post Sat, Mar 07 2020, 10:35 pm
I’m the whole state 10 are hospitalized
Most of the people got the caronavirus when this one lawyer went to shul a barmitzvah and a funeral all at the young isreal of new Rochelle
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics