Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o Foods that you grew up with and are no longer around
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mommyla  

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 8:44 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Do they still make Sunkist Jellies, the real ones? Those were a special treat my grandmother used to send us packages every so often and there was always a box of Sunkist Jellies . I’d take a few to school and keep it on my tongue in the middle of class until the sugar dissolved and then I’d suck the smooth jelly for a long time.

Yes! That's exactly how I always ate them! I recently found them (fruit gems) in a candy store in Lakewood. They still taste the same, and I still eat them the same way Very Happy

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:07 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Do they still make Sunkist Jellies, the real ones? Those were a special treat my grandmother used to send us packages every so often and there was always a box of Sunkist Jellies . I’d take a few to school and keep it on my tongue in the middle of class until the sugar dissolved and then I’d suck the smooth jelly for a long time.

Yes but I only ever see them at shuls or people's sukkahs. I think the kosher grocery near me sells them. I haven't found them at the other local grocery stores.

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:18 pm
boysrus wrote:
Rondos! cant believe nobody mentioned that.
and shneiderone...

you can see im a chocoholic

and btw, laffy taffies are absolutely not the same as tangy taffy. its just nowhere near as good... Sad

Exactly what I was going to write!!

Rondos- 2 flavors, I think caramel and toffee-not sure, the best chocolate!

I truly believe those that can compare tangy taffy to laffy taffy has not had the experience of pulling really long strings of tangy taffy!!

shanie5  

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Toblerone. Seriously the best Swiss chocolate that was on the list years ago, alas no more Crying

I bought kosher toblerone within the past year!

amother
Mauve  

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:29 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I remember eating candies we called "meat candies" because they kind of looked like a raw steak. It was a small oval hard candy with red, orange, and yellow sections divided by white lines. Anyone remember those?

I think they are the like the ones that had faces of kids?
A colored outside lining, white opaque filled with whatever design it was in clear color or something like tat.

If sucked long enough, they would get holes that stuck to tongues!

Not like chew chews that stuck to teeth! I remember sometimes not being able to get them off my teeth!

Nouget rolls and those Paskez Reeses cups and coconut ones! Why did they stop making them?

shanie5

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:30 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
Pasta with tomato sauce in a can. I forget what they were called. They were kosher in the early 80s. I used to love them.

Butoni spaghetti twists!
A couple years ago a store carried a pasta sauce that was the exact taste of the sauce from those spaghetti twists. Yum!

browniebar

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:38 pm
FRESH STRAWBERRIES straight from the box
I mean we rinsed them but that's pretty much it
Oh and I loved those Boston baked beans as a kid

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:45 pm
Hard Lifesavers. They are no longer kosher.

amother
  Mauve

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:46 pm
Rocket pops for a quarter, small piece of wax on bottom, then I think green red and yellow ending in a point.

Cigarette gum like mentioned above, but also fat cigar gum! Had to bite off piece, kind of gross to think about it now! Packs of Wrigley style gum-I loved those!

Big spiked gumboils

mom_13

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:55 pm
Hardcore ices fan. I want my itzkadoozies back as much as Billie ray cyrus wants his mullet. Seriously. And also Klein's this a PSA to start putting whole cherries into the frozfruit again. If we can have cherry pie filling we should be able to have real cherries in the ices. Omg yum.

checkbefore

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:23 pm
Pop Rocks, Nougat Roll, Bubble Blast....

boysrus

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:46 pm
Bsimcha wrote:
Exactly what I was going to write!!

Rondos- 2 flavors, I think caramel and toffee-not sure, the best chocolate!

I truly believe those that can compare tangy taffy to laffy taffy has not had the experience of pulling really long strings of tangy taffy!!

it was caramel and nougat iirc. Caramel was out of this world! Paskez has started making a line of 'minis' - one of those is vaguely reminiscent of rondos. but just nowhere near as good!

amother
  Honeydew  

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:59 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Butoni spaghetti twists!
A couple years ago a store carried a pasta sauce that was the exact taste of the sauce from those spaghetti twists. Yum!

Those were a special Malava Malka treat in the winter when Shabbos ended early!!!

amother
  Honeydew  

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:02 am
shanie5 wrote:
I bought kosher toblerone within the past year!

For those not CY, Costco sells toblerobe and it is on often on sale. But it is not as good as I remember. I think the quality has gone down as opposed to my standards increasing.

amother
  Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:14 am
Sunkist Fruit Gems are easy to find (just pricy). They were purchased/now manufactured by Jelly Belly. You can buy them on Amazon or Target on-line.
I think my shop-rite, and Family Dollar have them, as does Walgreens, and of-course all the kosher stores.
Just an FYI, they are now "less artificial" and the colors are more muted. The green is more of a greenish/dirty yellow color and the red is now more of a beet color.

marvelous

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:14 am
Haven't seen these in a while - are they still around?

Butterscotch candies
Crybabies
Fruit flix
Nougat bar (ice cream)

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:54 am
Coconut froze fruits
Kellogg’s low fat granola

oh em gee

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:55 am
*Krispit, some choc with rice crispies in it yum.
*sour rope,it was similar to the lady taffy ropes but sour
*paint brush with bucket, I know they have a new one now but remembering the old
*Who remembers crazy hair,ew you twisted something and gel came out like hair.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:12 am
Straw shaped piece of wax filled with a colored liquid

amother
  Amethyst  

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:31 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Toblerone. Seriously the best Swiss chocolate that was on the list years ago, alas no more Crying

You people need some British friends!!!!

Approved by KLBD:

YES
Toblerone
Crispy Coconut
YES
Toblerone
Dark
YES
Toblerone
Fruit & Nut
YES
Toblerone