Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Let's create our own magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 6:52 am
mummiedearest wrote:
[
if it is associated with imamother, in what capacity should it be? my original idea was really a magazine forum on the site itself, but that didn't lend itself to a magazine layout or feel. if it's a blog, it can't be featured as part of the discussion forum. I honestly don't know how hosting works, though my husband would be happy to explain everything to me if I had the patience Smile

Just like chat is a separate tab, and entries is different than the forum, a subdirectory could be created with a totally different look (though I'd suggest retaining imamother theme colors for uniformity) which ran wordpress (I really think that's the best bet for free content management system with users and ease of use -- joomla and drupal I don't find as intuitive).
There are many free themes out there for wordpress magazines which can be tweaked to use imamother colors and run completely independent of phpBB which powers the forum here.

gp2.0  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 6:57 am
The advantage of not connecting it to imamother would be that we could make up our own rules and the format would be easier to read. Plus it would be yours so you could monetize it at some point if it really takes off. Wink

The disadvantage would be that we wouldn't be able to talk about it here. Though you could likely set up a comments section on the blog and discuss things there, or we could discuss them on imamother via pm.

Or anyone on the team who's a mod can advertise the blog in their signature. Or yael may be fine with us talking about it while it's still all free and not profiting anyone...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:01 am
Or she'll get a free imamother ad on the mag site Smile

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:04 am
yeah, I would definitely allow a free imamother ad.

besides, we all discuss mishpacha, binah, ami articles here. I can't imagine we wouldn't be allowed to discuss it. business meetings might not be appropriate to host here, but discussions of articles are generally allowed.

gp2.0  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:09 am
I meant you probably wouldn't be allowed this type of discussion, which is more business than idle talk. Wink

But then again maybe you would. You should definitely ask Yael about all this.

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:12 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I meant you probably wouldn't be allowed this type of discussion, which is more business than idle talk. Wink

well, yes. but there are other ways of communicating easily if necessary.

WhoAmINow

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:27 am
Quote:
sleepwalking wrote:
Can we also have a printable version so I can print it out and read it when I'm not on the computer (eg. shabbos etc)?

that is a wonderful suggestion. who here knows how to do that?

Making this available is a piece of cake if you plan for it from the get-go, and a royal pain in the neck if you don't. Think of it as part of designing the magazine: there are some decisions to be made about what it's going to be like, not just in content (those decisions seem to be well in hand), but also in presentation.

One approach is to make the whole magazine "printer-friendly". That means that the content would be set up in the shape of printed pages, which would make reading the material on line less like reading a web page. How do people feel about that?

Alternatively, it can look like a normal blog, and those who want a Shabbes copy could just print out the desired web page[s]. However, such a printout tends to take a lot of paper, and it might not be particularly easy to read.

Or the magazine can exist in two forms, with a link on the blog to the "printer-friendly" version. That "printer-friendly" version can be just a stripped-down version, with the dynamic elements of the page omitted, or it could be a full-blown set of double-column, four-color pages with fancy layout of graphics, pull quotes, and everything else you see in slick magazines.

There are tools out there which can do generate the stripped-down version automatically; if you shop on line, you've seen them at work when the site offered you the option to print out your invoice. Unfortunately, I know nothing about these tools. What I can do is help plan the steps for posting the content of the magazine, so that - depending on those design decisions - the end result includes web-style content, paper-style content, or both.

These steps are very easy once they're in place, but going into more detail about setting them up would probably get too technical for this forum. Feel free to pm me.

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:39 am
mummiedearest wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

well, yes. but there are other ways of communicating easily if necessary.

ok, I have sent yael a message. I'll let you know what she says.

Stayci

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:28 am
Truly a nice idea.

Just my own 2 cents.

1- Perhaps we don't need the magazine to have the polish and perfection of a standard magazine, so less than perfect writers can share there talent where they may otherwise not be 'good enough'. I can understand the need to implement standards- even high standards- but not as rigid as very popular publications.

2- Since many of imamothers are either in college or college graduates, we can have an educational column as well. Individuals can submit interesting college papers they have written- that may be of interest to the general public. The advantage to this is that it is often graded, corrected, and best of all- already written.

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:48 am
Stayci wrote:
Truly a nice idea.

Just my own 2 cents.

1- Perhaps we don't need the magazine to have the polish and perfection of a standard magazine, so less than perfect writers can share there talent where they may otherwise not be 'good enough'. I can understand the need to implement standards- even high standards- but not as rigid as very popular publications.

2- Since many of imamothers are either in college or college graduates, we can have an educational column as well. Individuals can submit interesting college papers they have written- that may be of interest to the general public. The advantage to this is that it is often graded, corrected, and best of all- already written.

1- I'll keep that in mind, certainly.

2- interesting idea, thanks.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:37 am
I can help contribute to the recipes too!

zissy2004

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 12:23 pm
that would be a great idea!
Looking forward :-)
I would love to write but have no skills LOL...
My mother thinks I'm the greatest writer since I always made the compositions (hope its the right word) for my younger siblings :-)
Maybe I could practice on our new magazine Wink

syrima

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 12:30 pm
will there be an option of writing anonymously?
Or under a pen name?

enneamom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 12:51 pm
I like the idea of a printer-friendly PDF magazine with a page-turning application, similar to the link that gp.2 posted(http://www.flashpageflip.com/FreeFPF.asp), rather than a blog. I think it would be great hosted on Imamother as a separate section like Hashem_Yaazor described. It could be laid out nicely, like the typical print magazines we're discussing. Just my vote...

Purple Hug Bunny  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 1:46 pm
wow, this went from a 3 reply to a 3 page post so quickly.. kudos to you mummmiedearest.
ppl do say that Im good with graphics, editing and writing so perhaps I can contribute in more then one way.
the only thing IM not great with is time limits, I can't always get to the computer whenever I feel like it, s/times I have to babysit, s/times the internet doesnt work well.
I have my own blog so I know how to do basic graphics and stuff, also never took any courses but I have more then a knack for it, and if I set my heart to it I'd be great at it..
I think it's a good thing for me to tie myself down to s/thing and feel like I'm contributing.

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 2:52 pm
syrima wrote:
will there be an option of writing anonymously?
Or under a pen name?

looks like it's going to be a blog, so I'd say write under your own name or a pen name/anonymous.

mazeltov  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 4:53 pm
You could try writing on a site like Zujava. They have many different categories and they are free to use. It's very easy to join, and they have a tutorial on how to write, and forums for questions.

I wrote 8 essays in my first two months there, and received monthly payments totaling $45 in the first four months.

I am expecting to receive more payments every month for articles that I have already posted. Plus, I am writing more articles to increase my income.

You continue earning for every month that you keep your article live on the site.

You get paid based on your score, which is based on how many people read your articles, and other factors.

Last edited by mazeltov on Tue, Jul 24 2012, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

runninglate

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 5:18 pm
enneamom wrote:
I like the idea of a printer-friendly PDF magazine with a page-turning application, similar to the link that gp.2 posted(http://www.flashpageflip.com/FreeFPF.asp), rather than a blog. I think it would be great hosted on Imamother as a separate section like Hashem_Yaazor described. It could be laid out nicely, like the typical print magazines we're discussing. Just my vote...
I agree.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:23 pm
http://issuu.com/weeklylink.co.....22222

http://issuu.com/

But I think the free version has ads.

Purple Hug Bunny  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:27 pm
How about we make a column for self made jokes?? basically jokes we came up with ourselves, but not just jokes, like things that happened., I have quite a few of those.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club