Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Let's create our own magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:32 pm
I'll contribute devri-torah, and I'll contribute other articles, maybe even an "advice" columnist where ppl ask q's and we give honest answers?

gp2.0  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:37 pm
Maybe this?

http://www.flashpageflip.com/FreeFPF.asp

No idea how it's hosted though.

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:37 pm
advice columns are fun, I'd love to write one. I think we're running away with ourselves here. I'd like to start with a few sections and then expand. advice column is a possibility, but it would have to be advice about a specific topic. I'd like to nix shidduchim right now, mainly because there are such huge differences in what is and is not allowed in shidduchim depending on the community. maybe an advice column for professional women, and one for sahms.

singleagain  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:43 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Maybe this?

http://www.flashpageflip.com/FreeFPF.asp

No idea how it's hosted though.

it looks fairly simple, I could easily download it and use it to upload our magazine

and maybe we shouold post a new thread with what types of articles we are FOR SURE having and who's in charge

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:46 pm
okay, I think we need to narrow the sections down. we need to start fairly simple. here are the sections I propose:

-poetry
-fiction serial
-fiction short pieces
-nonfiction
-dvar torah
-mystery
-humor

to be considered:
-recipes
-advice column-professional
-homemaker

sound good?

singleagain  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:48 pm
it does sound good... who is "in charge" of each section? ie how is the administrative side of this going to happen

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:52 pm
I don't know who's going to be in charge until I get some volunteers. I got a couple of offers for editing. I don't know whether we'll have enough submissions to really need someone over every section. the writing club forum has been kinda silent, so I don't think we can rely on floods of submissions. also, this would all be free, which means not being paid, obviously. it'll only work with enough volunteers.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:54 pm
well maybe see how many editors voluenteered, and see the sections, at least break it down like imamother123 will edit the short fiction stories
imanmother 456 will edit the devri-torah

etc

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:56 pm
ok, I'm gonna start yet another thread. feel free to keep posting here, though Smile

gp2.0  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:56 pm
Another category idea - real life dramatic/miracle stories. Like medical emergencies, being robbed, surviving a fire or other catastrophe, etc.

shmaichul

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:57 pm
This sounds amazing! I can't wait to see it!

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Another category idea - real life dramatic/miracle stories. Like medical emergencies, being robbed, surviving a fire or other catastrophe, etc.

I'd include that in nonfiction.

crl

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 10:11 pm
I think an online magazine blog might be better. (Like a smaller-scale Huffington Post or any other online magazine -- I found a free Wordpress theme here that I liked, personally http://demo.webtuts.pl/)

All you'd need was the webspace (not much) and I'm sure it could even be hosted under imamother.com/blog (If Yael is willing) and with Wordpress you can create users and admins, with different levels of editing power. Also, it makes it easy to organize by author, topic, category, etc.

Just a thought. Smile

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 10:47 pm
crl wrote:
I think an online magazine blog might be better. (Like a smaller-scale Huffington Post or any other online magazine -- I found a free Wordpress theme here that I liked, personally http://demo.webtuts.pl/)

All you'd need was the webspace (not much) and I'm sure it could even be hosted under imamother.com/blog (If Yael is willing) and with Wordpress you can create users and admins, with different levels of editing power. Also, it makes it easy to organize by author, topic, category, etc.

Just a thought. Smile

I actually just started experimenting with a blog, I think it'll work. so that's settled, I think. there's nothing up yet, obviously.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 2:25 am
I could definitely contribute recipes.

enneamom  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:50 am
Even as a blog, it would be great if it could be hosted on the Imamother site. I know nothing about web so I hope that's even possible. This way it could be directly accessible to imamothers and retain the publicity of imamother without becoming "just another site." Could it work?

sunny90

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 7:24 am
I'd love to edit--I also don't have much experience (unless you count editing fanfiction for a while) but I do have a knack for it as well!
I love this idea!

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:53 am
enneamom wrote:
Even as a blog, it would be great if it could be hosted on the Imamother site. I know nothing about web so I hope that's even possible. This way it could be directly accessible to imamothers and retain the publicity of imamother without becoming "just another site." Could it work?

ok, so here's what's happening thus far. I have set up a blog already and fooled around with it. I figured I should have that in place so anyone involved in blog setup can have what to work with. I think it looks good for now.

my dh thinks it should be a separate site so the magazine does not have to have the exact same outlook as imamother. (I informed him of this idea after broaching it to you all, heh heh.)

I have not been in touch with yael yet about any of this, since we didn't have any concrete details to discuss. the idea was born yesterday, so there are few concrete details at all. so let's discuss.

if it is associated with imamother, in what capacity should it be? my original idea was really a magazine forum on the site itself, but that didn't lend itself to a magazine layout or feel. if it's a blog, it can't be featured as part of the discussion forum. I honestly don't know how hosting works, though my husband would be happy to explain everything to me if I had the patience Smile

while all this is being ironed out, I'd like to thank those of you who have contacted me about submissions/editing/graphics. hopefully we'll be able to put our first edition together relatively soon. we still need more people, though, so keep pming me.

sleepwalking

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:47 am
Can we also have a printable version so I can print it out and read it when I'm not on the computer (eg. shabbos etc)?

mummiedearest  

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:50 am
sleepwalking wrote:
Can we also have a printable version so I can print it out and read it when I'm not on the computer (eg. shabbos etc)?

that is a wonderful suggestion. who here knows how to do that?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club