Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Substituting apricot jam (sugar free) for duck sauce
1  2  Next

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 2:45 pm
I am trying to cut down sugar in foods and would like to start substituting the sugar free apricot jam for duck sauce in recipes (for chicken, meat, fish).

What seasonings would you add to the apricot jam to get a similar taste to prepared duck sauce?

yo'ma  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 3:29 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
I live in Israel and while I CAN get Gold's duck sauce, I prefer not to have to pay the price.

I buy the cheap apricot jam and pour it into my KitchenAid with the whisk attachment on. I then add some lemon juice, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper.

I whisk it really well and pour it back into the jar. That's it!

I don't know how much sugar is in soy sauce, but get the one with low sodium.

BeershevaBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 3:31 pm
Thanks, yo'ma! LOL

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 4:57 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Thanks, yo'ma! LOL

Thanks to you, I make it all the time.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 5:00 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Thanks, yo'ma! LOL

Can you give me approximate quantities?

Thanks.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 6:04 pm
I think I would make something else.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 6:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I think I would make something else.

Since duck sauce is mostly apricot jam and we like the flavor of those recipes why should I make something else? Do you not think it is possible to come up with a reasonable substitution "recipe" that will taste good?

ra_mom  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 6:51 pm
I would blend together in the food processor approximately 1 small jar (12 oz.) sugar free apricot jam with 1/4 cup of water, 2 tsp soy sauce, and some garlic to taste.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:28 pm
Sugar free jam? have you ever tasted that ?

ra_mom  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
yes, it's made w splenda. not the tastiest, but when you're dieting it's pretty good.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:36 pm
I've done it with just apricot jam & a little garlic powder, sometimes lemon juice, depending on what I'm using it for.

ra_mom  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:37 pm
OOTBubby, another good sauce idea based on KBD's roast recipe
12 oz. apricot preserves, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 Tbsp mustard, and 1/4 tsp ground ginger

Don't use it instead of duck sauce in a recipe. Use it on its own as its own sauce. Very tasty.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
yes, it's made w splenda. not the tastiest, but when you're dieting it's pretty good.

There are actually 2 kinds, one with Splenda and one with other kinds of fruits (but it's still called Apricot Jam). One has more calories than the other (the one with the Splenda has 20 cal./tbsp. and the other one has 40 cal./tbsp.). I normally use the one without the Splenda.

I've never used it plain, but I've used it in cooking and it is just fine.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:48 pm
Thanks ra_mom for the different suggestions. Why wouldn't use it as duck sauce substitute in something like your salmon teriyaki recipe?

I wouldn't use it in many other recipes I have because many of them call for mixing it with ketchup or brown sugar both of which I want to avoid.

I have already been mixing with similarly to what you mentioned: with soy sauce, mustard and garlic to use over chicken.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:52 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Thanks ra_mom for the different suggestions. Why wouldn't use it as duck sauce substitute in something like your salmon teriyaki recipe?

I wouldn't use it in many other recipes I have because many of them call for mixing it with ketchup or brown sugar both of which I want to avoid.

I have already been mixing with similarly to what you mentioned: with soy sauce, mustard and garlic to use over chicken.
It's has a stronger flavor than just plain old duck sauce. Great on it's own. Doesn't need to be mixed with anything else. (1/4 cup soy sauce is a lot for something meant to taste like duck sauce.)

FASMA

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:54 pm
I found this recipe and it sounds pretty good
Duck sauce

Ingredients:

6 cups peeled, coarsely chopped mixed fruit (peaches, apricots, apples, plums, and pears)

1 cup water

1 cup apple juice

1 tsp. light soy sauce

1 Tbsp. apricot preserves (sugar-free or made with Splenda work)

1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (Splenda brown sugar blend works)

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder

Directions:

Place fruit in a stock pot over medium high heat. Add water, apple juice, soy sauce, apricot preserves, brown sugar, garlic powder, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to dissolve brown sugar. Reduce heat, and continue simmering for 40 to 60 minutes, or until fruit is completely soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
From http://www.examiner.com/articl.....ecipe

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

It's has a stronger flavor than just plain old duck sauce. Great on it's own. Doesn't need to be mixed with anything else. (1/4 cup soy sauce is a lot for something meant to taste like duck sauce.)

I thought you'd meant in general not just for that specific recipe.

Thanks.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:56 pm
FASMA wrote:
I found this recipe and it sounds pretty good
Duck sauce

Ingredients:

6 cups peeled, coarsely chopped mixed fruit (peaches, apricots, apples, plums, and pears)

1 cup water

1 cup apple juice

1 tsp. light soy sauce

1 Tbsp. apricot preserves (sugar-free or made with Splenda work)

1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (Splenda brown sugar blend works)

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder

Directions:

Place fruit in a stock pot over medium high heat. Add water, apple juice, soy sauce, apricot preserves, brown sugar, garlic powder, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to dissolve brown sugar. Reduce heat, and continue simmering for 40 to 60 minutes, or until fruit is completely soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
From http://www.examiner.com/articl.....ecipe

Sounds good, but I'm looking to start from scratch, just to doctor the sugar free jam I already use.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:19 pm
dried fruit has sugar in it, as does brown sugar

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:25 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
dried fruit has sugar in it, as does brown sugar

I actually have no problem with dried fruit as long as it has no added sugar which is usually the case other for certain varieties. I wouldn't use brown sugar (or brown sugar Splenda).

My issue is with added sugars; not naturally occurring sugars in fruits. And I prefer to avoid honey and agave too.

The only sweetener I prefer to use is Stevia when I need something.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics