Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Can you just give half the name??

amother  

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 3:16 pm
For example, if my grandfather's name was Tzvi Hirsch and I dislike Hirsch but love Tzvi, can I just name my son Tzvi? Or is that not considered naming him after my grandfather?

What If I like the name Aryeh also? if I combine it to be Aryeh Tzvi, is it still considered naming after my grandfather or not?

Thanks!

milchigs

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 3:18 pm
I would imagine that you can call him just Tzvi as Tzvi and Hirsch are the same name... aren't they?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 3:26 pm
Good question, OP! I'm wondering exactly the same thing!!

Bea21

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 4:06 pm
Tzvi and Hirsch are the same name.
I was recently talking to someone who said she had wanted to name her son after R' Elchonon Wasserman, but they found out his name had been Elchonon Bunim. And they didn't like Bunim. So they asked a shayla and were told they mean the same thing so its ok if you only do half.
(But I'm not sure if this was after they had named him already)
I would ask a rav

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 4:13 pm
Alot of naming also has to do with your intention.

like naming someone tzippora after a faiga (either cause there is an alive faiga in the family or they dont like the name). while its not THE SAME name if you name her tzippora for your grandmother faiga then it does at least somewhat count.

we spoke to a rav regarding our names and thats what we were told (we want to name a name thats for both sides but one side is someone who recently died young. rav said its fine esp if we go with the intention of naming after the other person)

spring13

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:19 pm
I think it's fine...a lot of other people here think it's fine. Some people will tell you that's it's completely wrong, and you're a terrible relative for even considering doing something like that. There are all kinds of minhagim about naming, and I often remind people that they are minghagim, not halachos. You should not have to feel guilty about naming your child in the way you want to name him.

FTR, Tzvi and Hirsch do mean the same thing - just like Dov Ber. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with leaving off the Hirsch if you dislike it for any reason. I, and many others, would definitely consider it naming after your grandfather.

Basically, it comes down to your comfort level, your personal feelings about the name and the person you're naming for, your intentions in doing whatever it is you're thinking of doing, your level of concern about your family's potential reaction, and a discussion with your rav if you feel it's warranted, if you're unsure or concerned enough to ask.

For what it's worth, I named my daughter for two people - a translation of the first name of one, and the middle name of another. To some people, there are several dozen things wrong with that statement. But my family knew exactly where each name came from and understood exactly what I was trying to achieve by naming my daughter the way I did. And they loved it. I hope you're lucky enough to have the same experience, whatever name you end up choosing.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 6:15 am
Bunim is not the same thing as Elchanan. Bunim is also associated with many other names.

It is a shaila if FOR YOUR FAMILY giving half, translation, equivalent, etc, is "just the same if you have it in mind as such", or not the same but still naming after, or not. I have seen all answers. Unless you just want to take a personal decision.

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 7:58 am
Ruchel wrote:
Bunim is not the same thing as Elchanan. Bunim is also associated with many other names.

It is a shaila if FOR YOUR FAMILY giving half, translation, equivalent, etc, is "just the same if you have it in mind as such", or not the same but still naming after, or not. I have seen all answers. Unless you just want to take a personal decision.

Would they shailos our grandparents asked still count for us? When my MIL was born, my GMIL wanted to name her after her father, but she was a girl, so they asked a rav, and he said, she can only use 3 letters of the father's name in the MIL's name, and it will still be considered naming after him.

Does it mean that we now should follow the same psak, or do we have to follow what one of our rabbonim said in a shiur, which is, naming exactly the same name?

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:54 am
It's all minhag. Our Rav (who is very into using the exact name and calling the child by the full name), said we could drop my grandmother's a'h 2nd name. So instead of Rivka Gittel, we have just a Rivka Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names