intghn

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 12:17 am
what's a God card ?

didan  

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 10:00 am
B"H

intghn wrote:
what's a God card ?

It probably was a typing error. It should be Good Card. A good card is a card that was put out by Chabad a number of years ago. It's about the size of a business card and it has one line on it that says something to the effect of "Increase in acts of goodness and kindness" (I don't remember the exact wording, I haven't seen one for a number of years.)

I used to carry them around in my purse and give them to people I'd meet. (No, not random people on a subway.) There's nothing religious on it, so it can be given to both Jews and non-Jews.

Milk Munch

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 10:13 pm
I have even seen pamphlets about the sheva mitzvos printed in ARABIC.
My husband is always looking for opportunities to talk about them with his co-workers and other people he encounters. People out there REALLY ARE searching for meaning and spirituality in thier lives and its amazing how they respond to hearing these things. B"H he's had the chance to make many kiddush Hashems (how would you pluralize that??)

nehama

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 1:15 am
I'm curious what you'd say about this:

I'm a member on a cake-decorating website and my name on there is Moshiachnow and my signature line is "Acts of goodness and kindness will make the world a better place."

One person asked me about my signature line, another asked about Moshiach, and there was a whole discussion about kashrus. (I wonder if they'll think twice now before taking "kosher" orders... some of them say they've done some!)

tzivi

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 1:18 am
Mrs.Norris wrote:
it seems a pretty bad way to go about teaching the Noahide laws though ...

why?

didan

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 8:46 am
B"H

My husband was asked to speak to the 8th grade in a catholic school about the holocaust. Of course my husband consulted with a Rov to verify that he was able to do that. The Rov told him he can as long as it's not in the church or a prayer room. As well, the Rov told him he should use the opportunity to discuss the Sheva Mitzvos Bnai Noach.

Yesterday my husband went to the school to speak to them. It was a tremendous Kiddush HaShem and B"H it went over very well.

Every type of interaction with every type of person can be used in a positive way; in an education way. It is rare for my husband to meet with a Jewish male above the age of 13 and not help him put on Tefillin. People respond with appreciation if you approach them with love, regardless of whether or not they're Jewish.

Motek  

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 11:23 am
nehama wrote:
(I wonder if they'll think twice now before taking "kosher" orders... some of them say they've done some!)

You think then, that it will work against you?

But there's the other side of the coin - those people who think "kosher" is better!

JRKmommy  

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:07 pm
As I understand it, everyone has their mitzvot.

We have many, non jews have 7.

Hashem wants each of us to keep those mitzvot for which we are obligated. Therefore, Hashem wants non jews to keep those 7 mitzvot.

We are supposed to be a light unto the non jews. To me, that means serving as an example that may inspire them to keep their mitzvot.

If doing mitzvot is the key to bringing Moshiach, each Jew has more potentional mitzvot to do, but there are many more non jews in the world - so logically, there are many mitzvot that can potentially be done by non jews to hasten the coming of Moshiach.

The Noachide Laws include basic rules for moral living. Can you imagine how much better the world would be if everyone kept even one of the mitzvot, like the prohibition on murder? That is certainly something which is my business, and which would affect me!

Now, that said, I think that there are effective and ineffective ways of getting a message across. I think that actions/example speak louder than words. I think that people listen to those who show some sort of interest in them. I think that we need to speak to people in a way that they can understand and relate. I can think of some Jews who have made a difference to non-Jews. I have also seem some efforts at Noahide outreach that were ineffective if not counter-productive.

Crayon210

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:10 pm
I think there's generally a problem in this area because there's not enough interest in it, and therefore very little education about the proper way to go about doing it...

gryp

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:15 pm
Quote:
If doing mitzvot is the key to bringing Moshiach, each Jew has more potentional mitzvot to do, but there are many more non jews in the world - so logically, there are many mitzvot that can potentially be done by non jews to hasten the coming of Moshiach.

JRKmommy- that makes perfect logical sense, except theres a detail missing. when a Jew does a Mitzvah, he causes a special G-dly Light to shine down to this world. not when a non-Jew does a mitzvah, as far as I know.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 11:23 am
GR - I have no idea what you learned in that regard.

Hashem gave those 7 mitzvot to humankind, so of course doing them should matter, right?

Hashem created this world, and created everyone in it. Of course it matters when it's filled with murder and mayhem, and when there are non jews with the moral conviction to stop those things.

Motek

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 9:52 am
You are both right. When Jews do a mitzva, they bring down a G-dly light into the world. The 7 mitzvos that gentiles are obligated in are for the purpose of civilizing the world, "l'sheves yetzara."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics