Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 16  17  18  Next

EvenI  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:08 pm
If she actually wrote touching and intimate language into the story, it would not make the interaction seem more realistic; those interactions would be superfluous to the plot and would shift the focus to intimacy itself. It would seem inappropriate.

EvenI  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:09 pm
chavamom wrote:
Husbands and wives touch? shock

Of course not. Husbands are boys and wives are girls.

shalhevet  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:09 pm
LOL chavamom.

I don't read Mishpacha, but if anyone reads Marveh Letzameh (Hebrew Tzanz magazine), the men hardly exist at all in the stories. It drives me nuts - you keep wondering if the women are divorced/ widowed and then suddenly the husband comes back from kolel/work, but of course our heroine never speaks to him more than ask him if she should bring him some soup. She just keeps coping (or not) with all the problems by herself.

EvenI  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:16 pm
shalhevet wrote:
LOL chavamom.

I don't read Mishpacha, but if anyone reads Marveh Letzameh (Hebrew Tzanz magazine), the men hardly exist at all in the stories. It drives me nuts - you keep wondering if the women are divorced/ widowed and then suddenly the husband comes back from kolel/work, but of course our heroine never speaks to him more than ask him if she should bring him some soup. She just keeps coping (or not) with all the problems by herself.

People have problems?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:32 pm
EvenI wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
LOL chavamom.

People have problems?

Oh right, my mistake. Frum people don't have problems, of course. Or at least not ones that don't get sorted out pretty quickly (otherwise there wouldn't be a story, would there, dear? Rolling Eyes). It's only those people who wear caps (in the Marveh no one is bare headed in the picture stories, even if he is a [gentile] baddie) who have problems. And about the women I wouldn't know, since even the comic strips don't have women, so I wouldn't know how much hair showing would give you problems.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:57 pm
EvenI wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Husbands and wives touch? shock

Of course not. Husbands are boys and wives are girls.

she only writes about them when they are nidda. Wink

Yakira  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 7:35 pm
EvenI wrote:
If she actually wrote touching and intimate language into the story, it would not make the interaction seem more realistic; those interactions would be superfluous to the plot and would shift the focus to intimacy itself. It would seem inappropriate.

it would only seem inappropriate because we are used to not seeing any of this in frum publications. of course she isn't putting it in and it certainly doesn't belong in a Torah magazine.

But think yourself how a similar conversation would work in your home and how much it could change things if there was even a simple hand squeeze or 'I love you' thrown in.

To me, this is the 'pink elephant', not just the fact that we aren't sure what 'kfirah websites' mean. You don't get a feel that the two love each other and of course that's the case because of how they interact (or don't interact) with one another. I just don't see how a realistic, deep, emotional book (or serial) about a marital relationship can really exist without sticking in some simple touching or AT LEAST meaningful words that go further than 'you mean a lot to me'. You don't really see many frum novels on husband/wife, relationships, no?

(chavamom Smile)

intel  

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 11:24 pm
Yakira wrote:
EvenI wrote:

it would only seem inappropriate because we are used to not seeing any of this in frum publications. of course she isn't putting it in and it certainly doesn't belong in a Torah magazine.

But think yourself how a similar conversation would work in your home and how much it could change things if there was even a simple hand squeeze or 'I love you' thrown in.

To me, this is the 'pink elephant', not just the fact that we aren't sure what 'kfirah websites' mean. You don't get a feel that the two love each other and of course that's the case because of how they interact (or don't interact) with one another. I just don't see how a realistic, deep, emotional book (or serial) about a marital relationship can really exist without sticking in some simple touching or AT LEAST meaningful words that go further than 'you mean a lot to me'. You don't really see many frum novels on husband/wife, relationships, no?

(chavamom Smile)

that's becuase we don't live for the whole world. we keep our relationships private within our own four walls. we don't need outsiders for validations. because it became normal in the secular world for everythign to "hang out" and nothing is hidden, we think we have to change. please let us keep some of our dignity and don't beg to do everything like the non jews.

Yakira  

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 7:38 pm
intel wrote:
Yakira wrote:
EvenI wrote:

(chavamom Smile)

that's becuase we don't live for the whole world. we keep our relationships private within our own four walls. we don't need outsiders for validations. because it became normal in the secular world for everythign to "hang out" and nothing is hidden, we think we have to change. please let us keep some of our dignity and don't beg to do everything like the non jews.

um, ok, the problem is that a good book is supposed to be like an invitation into someone's home. And their heart and soul and brain. Especially one in first person. Its supposed to be honest and open and go into real feelings and details that might not be told in the open but in a book its ok. OBVIOUSLY, this couldn't work in frum publications and I am not begging anyone do do anything like those awful 'non jews'. I am just explaining why a frum novel about the relationship between husband and wife just can't and won't work because, by definition, it is going to leave a lot of this stuff out. Which is fine and good and holy and understandable. But I just think that authors are better off skipping this whole dynamic, which you don't see too many novels about, and sticking to relationships between friends, siblings and children/parents because there is a lot more openness that is allowed there and less needs to be hidden or glossed over. That's all I'm saying.

avigayil

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 2:40 pm
I am trying to stay updates on this storyline.
Was it this one that Betzalel got sick with mumps or something like that?
I have an idea as to where this is headed. Please let me know.

chavamom  

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 2:58 pm
the mumps thing was a joke someone posted.

intel

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 2:52 pm
Yakira wrote:
intel wrote:
Yakira wrote:
EvenI wrote:

(chavamom Smile)

um, ok, the problem is that a good book is supposed to be like an invitation into someone's home. And their heart and soul and brain. Especially one in first person. Its supposed to be honest and open and go into real feelings and details that might not be told in the open but in a book its ok. OBVIOUSLY, this couldn't work in frum publications and I am not begging anyone do do anything like those awful 'non jews'. I am just explaining why a frum novel about the relationship between husband and wife just can't and won't work because, by definition, it is going to leave a lot of this stuff out. Which is fine and good and holy and understandable. But I just think that authors are better off skipping this whole dynamic, which you don't see too many novels about, and sticking to relationships between friends, siblings and children/parents because there is a lot more openness that is allowed there and less needs to be hidden or glossed over. That's all I'm saying.

I see what your saying. all the sweetness there is a little too much anyway (v. fake if you ask me).

bluesclues  

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 7:09 pm
what happened after the mil called the wife(sorry I forgot names) to visit her in the hospital

realeez  

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 7:52 pm
She visited her in the hospital and the MIL was trying to get her to say what Betzalel's real problem is and then ends off how she knows that B is really very sick.

bluesclues  

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 8:20 pm
is this serial really done or was that a purim joke?

realeez  

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 8:21 pm
bluesclues wrote:
is this serial really done or was that a purim joke?

Total Purim joke (but it seemed like she read Imamother before writing this one!)

bluesclues

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 8:23 pm
lol

chaylizi  

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 11:00 am
can someone update on the last 2 weeks? I didn't see the mishpacha in the store.

Mama Bear  

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 6:59 am
I had the BIGGEST CHUCKLE this week from the Purim spoof; Betzalel complaining that "people found his falling asleep at the docks anticlimactic, what did they expect, I should jump off a bridge?" Hi, Riva!!! LOL!!!

daisy  

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 7:35 am
I really enjoyed the Purim spoof too!
Page 9 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room