Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm looking for a mediocre doctor and a so-so cake recipe
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:30 pm
If someone wants a recipe for an easy dessert asap because they have unexpected guest and they only have certain ingredients at home then I will give them a recipe but it might not be the best.

Hodu Lashem  

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:47 pm
DefyGravity: Point well made Smile

But sometimes you don't necessarily want The Best or someone who's Amazing.
Like, I would like a good sheitel macher for a wash, but I don't need the THE BEST, who will probably charge an arm and a leg, and it takes months to get an apt.

PinkFridge  

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:10 pm
Hodu Lashem wrote:

Like, I would like a good sheitel macher for a wash, but I don't need the THE BEST, who will probably charge an arm and a leg, and it takes months to get an apt.

Fine, but you wouldn't ask for a mediocre sheitel macher. You would ask for someone you could get into quickly, who's reasonable, and competent. Average isn't the same as mediocre... or is it?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hodu Lashem wrote:

Fine, but you wouldn't ask for a mediocre sheitel macher. You would ask for someone you could get into quickly, who's reasonable, and competent. Average isn't the same as mediocre... or is it?

Ok, I just googled mediocre to see why this didn't sit well. One of the definitions, and the one it connotes to me is moderate to inferior quality.

Defy, sorry to parse this to death. It really was funny. You made a lot of people laugh; you've definitely done your good deed for the day.

Hodu Lashem

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:15 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hodu Lashem wrote:

I don't define "good" as mediocre. Good is competent, but not The Best.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:21 pm
I don't need the Best. I need The Best for Me.

Which could mean having more of something and paying less for each of them...could mean a dr or some such close by my office with no commuting time....

Etc.

louche

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 8:32 am
sequoia wrote:
I disagree.

So it makes sense that people specify what exactly they're looking for.

except that they seldom do specify "I need it fast but it has to make an impression so I'm willing to pay more" or " I don't need to knock anyone's socks off, it's just for a preschool b-day party, but there are 45 kids so it has to be cheap" . what we see most often is "Need yummy, easy, fast and cheap simcha dessert."

As my dh has has posted in his business:

"You want it FAST
You want it GOOD
You want it CHEAP

Choose any two. "

Merrymom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 4:47 pm
Raisin wrote:
I'm on a diet so I need a cake recipe I won't be tempted by.

Oh, don't laugh but I do this all the time. I go to the bakery and buy some awful rainbow cake that I know my kids will love or something like that. It works for me!

Flowerpot

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 1:14 am
Are you kidding, I need a cordless that will brake tmrw, a dr who will botch me up, a cake that will brake my oven and a salad that will send all my guest packing. Smile

Fox

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:12 am
LOL

It reminds me of humor columnist Celia Rivenbark, who made the same comment about hiring a painter. She said each painting contractor would preface his quote by saying, "Well, if you want the job done right . . ." Finally, she was ready to reply, "Oh, no! I want the most half-#@!& job possible!"

BTW, if you aren't offended by (or are willing to put up with) bad language, I highly recommend her books, including the wonderfully-named Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank!

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:37 am
LOL

I always have this train of thought when I see the "Need recs for an Excellent OB!" threads. My mental response it generally something along the lines of, "Well, I'm looking for a terrible OB, so I can skip that thread."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics