Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Challa in bread machine 2lb recipe

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:29 am
anyone have a great recipe for a bread machine that 2lb?
thank you!!

amother
Razzmatazz  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:43 am
I don’t actually follow a recipe because I don’t like to dirtying measuring spoons.

I cup water (leveled/not leveled-who knows. I don’t check the meniscus)
1/2 cup sugar (about. My 1/3 cup lives in the sugar and I use it heaping)
4.5 cups flour (it’s very appropriate-my cups are not leveled,I guesstimate how much is missing and just add, I often don’t find a 1 cup and need to use the 2/3 cup and do math-ish)
2 eggs (any size is fine, it depends on if I shopped Aldi’s or the Aiden fruit store)
3 egg shell 1/2s of oil (I wish I was kidding) it’s about 5-6 TBSP oil-I don’t want to wash and the shells are right there and going in the garbage anyway.
A fistful of kosher salt (I once measured-it is about a TBSP).
Most of a tablespoon of yeast (but often more spills in.) I am also more or less generous depending on how new it is and the weather. Cold and humidity both are bad for rising so those days I use more to help it.

It has never been bad and I always get compliments.
If you think about it, all challah is always different-some arewater, some egg, some use honey, some sugar, some use high gluten flour and some whole wheat and it is always different but good. Just make sure you add love and it should come out just fine.

(Anonymous because if you know me, you just identified me very easily because not everyone speaks or bakes like this 🤣)

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:46 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I don’t actually follow a recipe because I don’t like to dirty measuring spoons.

I cup water (leveled/not leveled-who knows)
1/2 cup sugar (about)
4.5 cups flour(it’s very appropriate-my cups are not leveled,I guesstimate how much is missing and just add)
2 eggs (any size is fine)
3 egg shell 1/2s of oil (I wish I was kidding) it’s about 1/3 cup oil-I don’t want to wash and the shells are right there and going in the garbage anyway.
A fistful of kosher salt (I once measured-it is about a TBSP).
A tablespoon of yeast (often more spills in.) I am also more or less generous depending on how new it is.

It has never been bad and I always get compliments.
If you think about it, all challah is different-some is water, some egg, some use honey, some sugar, some use high gluten flour and some whole wheat and it is always different but good. Just make sure you add love and it should come out just fine.

(Anonymous because if you know me, you just identified me very easily because not everyone speaks or bakes like this 🤣)

thank you!
do you make this in a 2lb machine?

amother
  Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:51 am
amother OP wrote:
thank you!
do you make this in a 2lb machine?

Yes!
Love it.
I bake almost every week and I am not on my first machine.
Best advice I can give you-keep the bottom hinge dry (wash the bucket carefully) as the joint in the underside of the paddle is the first part to rust and go.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 11:21 am
Also do u use regular flour or high gluten flour?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 11:24 am
I just mix and rise. But then shape and bake in my oven.

It’s a 2.5 lb machine but it might work in a 2lb machine

I got the base of this recipe years ago on this website. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47972

6.5 cups flour.
1/2 cup sugar
1 T salt
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2 cup water
1.5 T yeast

Mix and ride in machine. Remove. Shape. I do 3-4 very small challah. Rise 1 hr. Paint. Bake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics