Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 16  17  18  Next

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 3:50 am
rb wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Well I'm probably Huvi's contrary as I am an university student, into "deep" stuff and cannot cook ( Wink ) but I would be devastated and certainly not calm if dh (C'v!!!!!!) told me he didn't care to be frum (unless I married him that way knowingly).
As for being at the coffee shop instead of the seder, emuna issues or not, he wouldn't hear the end of it unless he could give me a GOOD reason. And not feeling like it isn't a good reason. You choose a frum life (by marrying a frum person and not making it known you wanted something else), deal with it, don't destroy everything.

Men are not machines. Believe it or not, even kollel guys can burn out once in a while. Going to a coffee shop once in a while isn't the end of the world. Of course, if its every day then its a different story, he obviously doesn't belong in kollel.

He certainly doesn't have to be learning all day for me, and I don't mind the coffee shop even every day, but not when there's a seder, and not hidden from me. Especially if it happens I'm working to support him!

Seraph

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:14 am
Excuse me for asking and bringing this more off topic- but what are kefira blogs?
What is considered kefira? If someone has a hard time with certain topics in yiddishkeit and writes about that on her blog, is that considered kefira?

rb  

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 12:38 pm
Seraph wrote:
Excuse me for asking and bringing this more off topic- but what are kefira blogs?
What is considered kefira? If someone has a hard time with certain topics in yiddishkeit and writes about that on her blog, is that considered kefira?

This thread is the first time I heard the term "kefira blog" I think Mama Bear coined the term! Very Happy

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 4:50 pm
blogs that talk about not believing in hashem and making fun of hashem and his mitzvos. questions isnt kefirah. mocking and not believing is.

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 1:19 pm
This week's installment is a little confusing. was he really at an internet cafe or was riva trying to hint it was a bar or club? and why did huvi fly off the wall at the suggestion of bring the internet into the house, which so many frum people have,a nd it's so not the end of the world? I dont like when it becomes exaggeratd or stereotyped.

chavamom  

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 2:58 pm
B/c the party line in the yeshiva world is that internet is assur.

Sherri  

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:49 am
edit

Last edited by Sherri on Sat, Nov 07 2009, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Carol R  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 7:12 am
Seraph wrote:

I've been following the thread about 'Shatterd Glass' - and other than hearing that there are others like me out there - who are exercising their self-control by not reading Mishpacha until after candle-lighting - I didn't get a yeah-now-we're-talking feeling from any of the posts. Until the above quoted one asking what's a kefira blog. Although Seraph meant it as a real question, my question is similar w/ an added twist: Can there really be an entire serial story (of 80 some chapters) revolving around this ambiguous 'kefira blog'? I understand that no Frum publication would have stories about s*x addiction, [filth], or Internet dating, but isn't the term 'kefira blog' actually a euphemism (nice way of saying something) for all of the previously mentioned addictions?? Note that almost every post has the word allude in it. Noone quite gets what's going on. The hysterical (& ditzy-sounding) reactions of Huvi and sister are understandable: They are, and probably will remain clueless throughout as to what Betzalel's crime actually is. Green Fences has quietly woven in Ari's attending Law School with less than desirable female classmates - and that has sort of gone over our heads - no fuss. But we read the word Internet and our eyes grow round; our interest is piqued. This is gonna be juicy..... Rolling Eyes But sorry folks, I think we're all in for a L-O-N-G and drawn-out ride with this story. It can never gradute from kefira blog level for obvious reasons, much as we'd like it to...I, for one, don't think it right to string along readers using terms like kefira blogs or stopping dramatically in mid-sentence as realization dawns in some character's head - without letting us know what it is.

I understand that kefira is not something to be taken lightly, but don't like that it's being used in a suggestive, provokative way. Stories are not meant to be guessing games. Sodoku puzzles are. Please correct me Banging head if you feel I'm out of line here [b]and, btw, I'm a great fan of Riva P.'s writing style & technique -
but does anyone else get the feeling that the author herself doesn't quite know where to take this next? Like it's being created and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d like tangy taffy every week? I mean, we all got the gist of Huvi's Strawberry Shortcake persona, her adorable kids, etc. but are we ever going to get more? Or is this going to be a tedious, repetitious coffee shop/ kefira/ I-can't-spell-it-out-by-tacit-agreement-so-you-as-a-reader-get-to-fill-in-the-blanks kinda thing? Crying

I am looking foward to candle-lighting this week. Can't wait to start analyzing what each line means or coul've meant, etc.

FraydaSue  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 7:26 am
What bugs me is that all the husbands in these stories act like little puppies; all eager for a crumb of affection from their Master (sorry, Mrs) LOL

Are the majority of men really so weak, so desperately seeking a smile? I was trying to play this story in my head as if it was happening in my home. I think it would be something like:

DH: Yes - I lyed to you - well what do you want of me? If you didn't make such a fuss about internet WITH A FILTER - then I wouldn't have to sneak around like a pervert! Stop sniffing - this is all your fault, and your crying is just getting me more annoyed.

Banging head

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 8:39 am
Carol I still think it does refer to kefirah and not to [filth]. sadly there is a whole group of yungeliet in williamsburg who sit around kefirah blogs and philosophize all day and it has broken up more than one marriage!!!! these things exist!!!!

Oh and as for this week's issue: sooooo the rav told Huvi that youre not allowed to have the internet for recreational purposes, esp if you can get addicted. LADIES, TIME TO CHUCK THE INTERNET - imamother is recreational and addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FraydaSue

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 8:52 am
Mama Bear wrote:
the rav told Huvi that youre not allowed to have the internet for recreational purposes, esp if you can get addicted.

So the Rav in this story would prefer to have DH creeping around internet cafes, rather than having a decent filter on a computer in his own home? Sorry but this story is getting TOO far fetched, especially as it's written for an American audience and not an Israeli one.

And (never start a sentence with "and") has anyone passed by the internet cafes in Jerusalem recently - there's always frum looking people in them - so this imaginary Rav should get his script rewritten if you ask me

havingfun

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 9:15 am
If they would get internet with a filter in their house, he would still be going to places where he can get unfiltered access. So having at home wouldn't help them.

chavamom  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:46 am
I really thinks she means "kefira blogs" when she says that. There are tons out there and that does seem to be where she's leading - doubts in emunah and hashkafa b/c of questions and "answers" given by these blogs. I've actually seen this happen IRL, more than once.

sarahd  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:50 pm
Are we going to have weekly updates on the serial? Because if so, that would spare me having to read overwrought, melodramatic installments that grate on my nerves just to see how the author manages to drag out a story whose ending I can pretty much guess for 99 chapters.

Sherri  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 1:28 pm
amother who started another thread for this to be posted wrote:
I can't post anom there and am no way writing this with my user name!
----

I'm WAY too emeshed in this story- from the side of Huvi. I found out half a year ago that dh has a s-x addiction, so the addiction is def. different, though both affected their frumkeit.
Contrary to Huvi, I'm a very deep, smart and thought out person, yet, A- when something soo big explodes, your emotions have got to get involved or your in denail B- Finding out that your dh has been lying to you hits you at the core because trust is the number one ingredient to a marriage.

Had this not been my life, I would have def. thought it was exagerated. Living with this kind of situation makes me feel otherwise.
In a way I feel like my life is being written out on paper and it throws me on a emotional roller coaster. I know I should stop reading it, but of course I'm not.
(I wonder if her support group will be anything like mine which is a life saver and wonderful!!)

chavamom  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 1:29 pm
sarahd wrote:
Are we going to have weekly updates on the serial? Because if so, that would spare me having to read overwrought, melodramatic installments that grate on my nerves just to see how the author manages to drag out a story whose ending I can pretty much guess for 99 chapters.

Love it! LOL

Carol R  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 3:04 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Carol I still think it does refer to kefirah and not to [filth]. sadly there is a whole group of yungeliet in williamsburg who sit around kefirah blogs and philosophize all day and it has broken up more than one marriage!!!! these things exist!!!!

LADIES, TIME TO CHUCK THE INTERNET - imamother is recreational and addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!1

President's no good.
Economy's no good.
Internet's no good.
Filters are no good.
Kefirah blogs are no good.*
And now Imamother is no good???

THIS IS HEART-BREAKING. shock
Can u somehow imagine Imamother in a newsletter format?! Tongue Out

I miss Batya whats-her-name (Green Fences). An insecure, materialistic, envious, catty, shrill, guilt-ridden, sarcastic, sporadic marvelous-middos-moments, 'mitgemachte' REAL person.

Huvi probably does her Pesach cleaning with a kiddie tape blaring in the background, lovingly pinning up the kids' Yom Tov arts 'n crafts on a specially handmade bulletin board with a glittery Peasch motif as the border (by yours truly - it only took about one all-nighter, and ANYTHING for the kinderlach, right??) . She warbles along the Haggadah songs from the kids' playgroups as she casually takes out her sixth Pesachdige (low-fat) cake. After that, she cheerfully locks up the shining Pesach kitchen and happily puts together a delicious Chometz'dige supper for Tzal.......

LET'S GET REAL!

* I couldn't resist typing in KEFIRAH BLOG, it's gonna be a real 2009/10 terminology - luv it.

Carol R  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 3:04 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

LADIES, TIME TO CHUCK THE INTERNET - imamother is recreational and addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!1

President's no good.
Economy's no good.
Internet's no good.
Filters are no good.
Kefirah blogs are no good.*
And now Imamother is no good???

THIS IS HEART-BREAKING. shock
Can u somehow imagine Imamother in a newsletter format?! Tongue Out

I miss Batya whats-her-name (Green Fences). An insecure, materialistic, envious, catty, shrill, guilt-ridden, sarcastic, sporadic marvelous-middos-moments, 'mitgemachte' REAL person.

Huvi probably does her Pesach cleaning with a kiddie tape blaring in the background, lovingly pinning up the kids' Yom Tov arts 'n crafts on a specially handmade bulletin board with a glittery Peasch motif as the border (by yours truly - it only took about one all-nighter, and ANYTHING for the kinderlach, right??) . She warbles along the Haggadah songs from the kids' playgroups as she casually takes out her sixth Pesachdige (low-fat) cake. After that, she cheerfully locks up the shining Pesach kitchen and happily puts together a delicious Chometz'dige supper for Tzal.......

LET'S GET REAL!

* I couldn't resist typing in KEFIRAH BLOG, it's gonna be a real 2009/10 terminology - luv it.

Carol R  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 3:11 pm
SORRY FOLKS FOR THE DOUBLE POST.

sunny90  

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 3:19 pm
Carol R wrote:

LET'S GET REAL!

LOL!!!!!
Page 5 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room