Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4 16  17  18  Next

ILOVELIFE  

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:06 pm
Do u know if she plans to discuss the signs? So far she hasn't mentioned a/thing about that.

I love the story and am hooked but the only thing that bothers me is that s/how it becomes more 'ok' every time it's brought out. A/one know what I mean?

bashinda  

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:29 pm
do you mean that we become desensitized to it? If so, sure.

ILOVELIFE  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:19 am
bashinda wrote:
do you mean that we become desensitized to it? If so, sure.

Yeah. That's what I meant. I am all for airing 'problems' but the flip side is a scary issue that of desensitizing ourselves so that this new issue now gets lumped together with the rest of the issues in k'lal Yisrael and I think of all issues, this is by far the weightiest one and one that ultimately affects our continuity.

queen

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:39 am
so what do you suggest.......... hide issue under the carpet and not discuss?

ILOVELIFE  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:20 am
Queen- I don't know what to say anymore-- I've seen the pitfalls of both. I do wish this publication would get more guidance from those in the know both Rabbinically and professionally.

achayl

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:55 am
I think that Riva is doing a good job! People can't sweep all these issues under the carpet.

sunny90  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:39 am
just out of curiousity? what on earth is an oisvorf? or whatever that word was?
sorry I'm sephardi don't know yiddish!

pgk  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:03 am
oisvorf = outcast

sunny90  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:11 am
Thanks!
but now I'm even more confused. why was that the worst word she could think of? is it a particular insult?

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:31 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Queen- I don't know what to say anymore-- I've seen the pitfalls of both. I do wish this publication would get more guidance from those in the know both Rabbinically and professionally.

if you read the Pesach packet, they did a whole article about the mishpacha staff. there are 2 rabbanim who oversee everything. R' Doniel Neustadt & an Israeli Rav oversee everything that is printed. I don't know who the Israeli Rav is, but R' Neustadt is the Av Beis Din & head of the Vaad HaRabbanim in Detroit & he's not really the type to let inappropriate things slide.

bashinda  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:10 am
ILOVELIFE: If R' Neustadt is fairly accessible I suggest asking him what he thinks about this. I'm also curious. It's a hard question. On one hand, if we don't bring it up we cause a lot of heartache but if we do, and by bringing this up Pomerantz can bring chizuk to people who are already having this problem or their family members but on the other hand we can get desensitized or maybe, ch"v, cause people to be interested in if these blogs really could do such damage and then get caught themselves.

It's really sad that these bloggers don't realize their achrayis to Am Yisroel and how damaging they can be.

There's just so much loshen hara and chutzpa (especially towards Rabbonim).

I guess it just shows such a lack of responsibility. If only people would just look over their writing before posting and ask themselves valuable questions such as : Is this LH? Can I hurt people with what I'm writing? Can I possibly cause confusion in somebody's hashkafa?

Mama Bear  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:11 am
I know. oisvorf isnt the worst word. it's the equivalent of bum.

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:16 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I know. oisvorf isnt the worst word. it's the equivalent of bum.

yeah, but most people don't really want their husband to be a bum. I wouldn't be too happy.

Mama Bear  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:20 am
Betzalel is already being a bum.. so I dont know why that word was used.

fmt4  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:32 am
I disagree with everyone's view on Betzalel. Sounds like to me that he's a very smart, deep person who grew up in a world that was not sophisticated and intellectual enough for him. I mean his wife sounds like she doesn't think about anything deeper than decorating cakes. He obviously can't have an intelligent conversation with her. And in the society he lives in its obvious that people don't question things about Torah- which is a completely normal thing to do, so because he never felt it was accepted for him to voice his questions, he got pushed to the edge to do things he shouldn't. It's so sad.

marina  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:33 pm
Quote:
I guess it just shows such a lack of responsibility. If only people would just look over their writing before posting and ask themselves valuable questions such as : Is this LH? Can I hurt people with what I'm writing? Can I possibly cause confusion in somebody's hashkafa?

If something is going to cause confusion in your hashkafa, it is your responsibility to decide whether or not you want to read that stuff.

No one is obligated to conform their internet writings to your hashkafa, just like the bookstores for the general public are not obligated to conform what they publish to your hashkafa.

Mama Bear  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:32 pm
I emailed Riva, let's see if she comes here to comment Smile.

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 6:34 pm
marina wrote:
Quote:

If something is going to cause confusion in your hashkafa, it is your responsibility to decide whether or not you want to read that stuff.

No one is obligated to conform their internet writings to your hashkafa, just like the bookstores for the general public are not obligated to conform what they publish to your hashkafa.

if someone is writing about kefirah in their blog, I highly doubt that they care about your (or any other) hashkafa.

Seraph  

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 3:26 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I emailed Riva, let's see if she comes here to comment Smile.
I dont know if she has an imamother account. Tongue Out

Tova  

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 8:32 pm
Riva does respond to e-mails, and quite timely too and is very sweet. A close relative of mine works for Targum and worked w/ her on her previous books, so when I read Green Fences I had to let her know personally!
Page 3 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  4 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room