Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Freeze!
1  2  Next

wif

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:49 am
I'm really trying to cook in advance and in batches now that I have a freezer. I've frozen some things that come out great, and some that...well, not-so-much. Before yom tov, it would be great if freezer-experienced people could write some things that freeze well, and how long it could keep for.

Thanks!

catonmylap

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:54 am
cakes
challah (in dough form)
parve kishka
potato kugel

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:00 am
potato knishes
spinach knishes
meatballs
meat loaf
cakes
cookies
apple crisp
soups
matzah balls
challah
butternut squash muffins
carrot muffins
fish patties
shnitzel (haven't done that yet)

These are all things that I have made so far for YT and frozen. No idea how long they last in the freezer as they don't last too long here!

drumjj

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:04 am
I make all those things for freezer too pink

wif

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:33 am
Thanks so much for the replies--keep em coming, please! so far I had two huge baking days and froze challas, cookies, cakes, muffins and cupcakes as well as dough for pizza and rolled cookies to make shapes with my kids later on. I have not yet been brave enough since a bad experience to freeze real food. Anyone ever freeze shnitzel?

tm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:35 am
I have frozen shnitzel. it's not that great- doesn't taste as good as fresh. I wouldn't do it for yom tov food but if I make shnitzel and have leftover, I'd freeze it for a weekday meal...

tm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:36 am
btw, roast freezes very nicely. we prefer it out of the freezer!
and I've frozen chicken with a sweet sauce and it was okay

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:44 am
wif wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies--keep em coming, please! so far I had two huge baking days and froze challas, cookies, cakes, muffins and cupcakes as well as dough for pizza and rolled cookies to make shapes with my kids later on. I have not yet been brave enough since a bad experience to freeze real food. Anyone ever freeze shnitzel?

I do it all the time and no one seems to notice/mind. Of course straight out of the frying pan is best...

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:50 am
wif wrote:

My dh (the cook) prefers to freeze it raw because he feels it dries out. I freeze it cooked and to me it's fine, but if you are very particular maybe freeze it raw.

workingmom3

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 9:59 am
schnitzel freezes well if you freeze it raw- prep it , egg and crumbs, layer between wax paper , cover well and freeze - then all you have to do is defrost and fry.
I n general I find the most important thing with freezing is to wrap really well and get out as much air as possible so you don't get freezer burn

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:39 am
Schnitzels--I freeze them after cooking. That way, all you need is defrost and serve. For those who freeze them raw, do you defrost first before cooking?

Potato kugel--For some reason, it doesn't come out as nice as the freshly prepred ones. I assume you freeze it after cooking? Do you shred (ie potato bits still visible) or grate? Also it comes out grey-ish once frozen.

On the dessert front, compote freezes well, too. You can also freeze rice, kasha. I also freeze beans and wheat/barley BUT NOT POTATOES for cholent in ziplock bags. Can be frozen either after pre-soaking or cooking for 15min or so. No need to defrost, goes straight into the pot.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:54 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Schnitzels--I freeze them after cooking. That way, all you need is defrost and serve. For those who freeze them raw, do you defrost first before cooking?

Potato kugel--For some reason, it doesn't come out as nice as the freshly prepred ones. I assume you freeze it after cooking? Do you shred (ie potato bits still visible) or grate? Also it comes out grey-ish once frozen.

On the dessert front, compote freezes well, too. You can also freeze rice, kasha. I also freeze beans and wheat/barley BUT NOT POTATOES for cholent in ziplock bags. Can be frozen either after pre-soaking or cooking for 15min or so. No need to defrost, goes straight into the pot.

Re potato kugel. Freeze, covered tightly. Put straight into HOT (400) oven, tightly covered for a half hour, lower to 350, 300.

Roast freezes wonderfully. I slice it, freeze it with defatted gravy.
Hopefully this freezes well: the onion souffle in crust from Spice and Spirit. Because I have two in the freezer.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 12:32 pm
freezer zip-top bags are essential.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 12:39 pm
I make a lot of what other listed plus:
meat lasagna
orzo
apple kugel
zuchhini muffins/kugel
Noodle kugel
Carrot kugel

milchig:
lasagna
eggplant parm

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 12:47 pm
Noodles & Cabbage
Kneidels
Lokshen for soup
Chicken Soup (just the broth, not the veggies)
Roasts and gravy (I freeze them separately)
Meatballs
All baked goods including cakes, cookies and Challahs
Presoaked/partially cooked beans for Chulent

You can also freeze a lot of things raw - already seasoned and prepared - ready to pop in the oven. Love the way that works out!

Leahh

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:06 pm
You can prepare shnitzel and freeze it raw then either fry it or bake it when you need it. Saves on the prep time.

You can freeze raw potato kugel. Make a reg kugel (as if you were going to put it in the oven now) then wrap it well and stick it in the freezer instead of the oven. When you're ready to use it take it from the freezer, uncover it (it will have a weird color), and stick it in the oven. It will take about and hour longer than usual as it has to defrost and cook rather than just cook. It tastes yum!

(Make sure it laying flat in the freezer until its totally frozen otherwise you'll have a big mess to clean!)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:07 pm
Desserts, cakes, kugals, tzimmes work well.

scb88

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:50 pm
I freeze all of what was mentioned above... come to think of it, I can't think of any particular dish that cannot be frozen! My freezer is stuffed lol.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:12 pm
I freeze raw shnitzel already dipped/breaded, freezing them seperately so they wont stick, so I can easily take out the amount I need and put them straight into the frying pan.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:51 pm
Leahh wrote:
You can prepare shnitzel and freeze it raw then either fry it or bake it when you need it. Saves on the prep time.

You can freeze raw potato kugel. Make a reg kugel (as if you were going to put it in the oven now) then wrap it well and stick it in the freezer instead of the oven. When you're ready to use it take it from the freezer, uncover it (it will have a weird color), and stick it in the oven. It will take about and hour longer than usual as it has to defrost and cook rather than just cook. It tastes yum!

(Make sure it laying flat in the freezer until its totally frozen otherwise you'll have a big mess to clean!)

Will try this, thanks! Do you bake it uncovered for the entire 2 hours?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics