Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Granite vs. Laminate Countertops; Tuition Reduction
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 5:37 pm
We are planning a modest kitchen renovation.

In our current kitchen, the laminate is literally falling apart at the seams and is pulling away from the wall. The shelving is sagging where I put the dishes. It is very hard for me to cook and keep things organized. So this is more necessity vs. luxery.

First question - practical - I was thinking for sure our budget only allows laminate countertops and didn't even consider granite. However, when I see the granite in person I am very much drawn to it. It seems so much sturdier and able to withstand heavy use. It can (possibly?) be kashered. Will never have to be replaced; I see what happens to laminate. Granite has such a nice feel to it and would make working in the kitchen so much easier. Priced at $2,000 more than laminate for our place. I am hoping to scrimp a bit somewhere else and be able to fit it in. Is it a worthwhile investment?

Next - more theoretical - I know the school tuition committes ask on the tuition assistance form if you underwent a renovation w/in the past 3 years. What if you will be requesting assistance after the 3 years has passed but not too much after. So you answer "no" as that is the technical truth. Is there something a bit not-so-kosher there? I am going back-and-forth here. I really think that the schools just want to get a basic picture of the family's lifestyle. I can take pictures of my now nearly decrepite kitchen as to why this is a necessary renovation. But that in mind, it is not so intellectually dishonest to answer the renovations in the negative, assuming the 3 year time period has passed. Thoughts?

Atali

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
We are planning a modest kitchen renovation.

In our current kitchen, the laminate is literally falling apart at the seams and is pulling away from the wall. The shelving is sagging where I put the dishes. It is very hard for me to cook and keep things organized. So this is more necessity vs. luxery.

First question - practical - I was thinking for sure our budget only allows laminate countertops and didn't even consider granite. However, when I see the granite in person I am very much drawn to it. It seems so much sturdier and able to withstand heavy use. It can (possibly?) be kashered. Will never have to be replaced; I see what happens to laminate. Granite has such a nice feel to it and would make working in the kitchen so much easier. Priced at $2,000 more than laminate for our place. I am hoping to scrimp a bit somewhere else and be able to fit it in. Is it a worthwhile investment?

Next - more theoretical - I know the school tuition committes ask on the tuition assistance form if you underwent a renovation w/in the past 3 years. What if you will be requesting assistance after the 3 years has passed but not too much after. So you answer "no" as that is the technical truth. Is there something a bit not-so-kosher there? I am going back-and-forth here. I really think that the schools just want to get a basic picture of the family's lifestyle. I can take pictures of my now nearly decrepite kitchen as to why this is a necessary renovation. But that in mind, it is not so intellectually dishonest to answer the renovations in the negative, assuming the 3 year time period has passed. Thoughts?

I would recommend taking pictures.

However, IMHO I think you should skip the granite and save the $2000 to pay for your children's tuition.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 6:05 pm
Is there anything in the middle? If not will you have room for large boards, trivets, etc. handy to prolong the life of the laminate?
I hear you, but this is so substantial a difference I don't know if I could justify it comfortably. Then again, maybe I might. If I find myself in this situation I'll happily let you know my decision Very Happy

loveit

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 6:22 pm
look into a granite veneer, it may be less expensive

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:03 pm
I am a kitchen designer... and I pay tuition too. Get laminate for now. You can replace it with granite at a later time.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:52 pm
What about some of the imitation granite, like corian http://www2.dupont.com/Surface......html

Raizle

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 10:10 pm
The laminate falling apart could be for 2 reasons.
It's VERY old or
It was either bad quality or not put in very well.

And laminate can look good and be easy to clean too. You just need to choose the right one

amother

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:11 pm
Rubber Ducky or anyone else --- what about granite TILES? I just came across it on the web. Looks to be closer to price of laminate than granite slab. Any experience w/ it? I am seriously seeing as cheap as $8/sq ft. That would translate to $392 in materials (+ labor of course). Materials cost comparable to laminate. Why isn't this a more popular option?

micki

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:19 pm
when we did ours we were faced with a similar dillema. $8,000 for granite, or $800 for porcelain tiles.

we went for the tiles.
they are also heat prrof, shatter proff etc- they look stunning, we were able to do a gorgeous backsplash with other coordinating tiles.
the only draw back is the grout. it does get dirty.
so every year by pesach we sand out the top layer, and fill in new grout.
then seal it with grout sealer and its wonderful.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:33 pm
why would it be dishonest to say no if the three year time period passed?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:08 am
One of the things which annoyed us when it came to tuition requests, was young couple who piled everything on (roof, windows, kitchen etc.) before they needed tuition assistance (kids were too young) and then, when the time came, had to ask for assistance, because - ya know - they had debt.
I think that it's commendable of you for bringing up this issue. If you feel, in advance, that you will have problems paying tuition, yet you can see finding $2000 for granite, the proper thing to do would be to take the $2000 and put it away in a tuition fund, for the future. Then you will know that you did your best.
Tuition is (should be?) like anything else you purchase. The store won't give you a discount for shoes or a dress or a whatever. Just because the school will, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try your hardest to save for the tuition etc.

Dini

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:21 am
I think it's a horrible thing for the school to ask whether you did renovations.

Raizle

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:28 am
I don't think so, so long as the school knows to differentiate between renovations by choice or renovations for luxury.

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:44 am
We replaced all the cupboards, counters, and floors in our kitchen (but not the appliances). We did laminate for the counters (the faux granite look!) and I'm very happy with it. Total cost was $6,000 (!) for everything. It really needed to be done, but we primarily did it because we're hoping to sell this house soon (as soon as DH finds a job in another community).

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:05 am
Regarding granite tiles -- if you're good do-it-yourselfers you could save a lot of money. You'd need to put a plywood substrate on the cabinets before the thinset and tiles. It is possible to cut granite tiles yourself with a wet tile saw. You'd also need to cut a lot of edging tiles and have a granite shop bullnose the edges to get a finished look. If you need to hire a tile installer do all the work, generally you won't save that much -- unless you can can find a very inexpensive installer.

You should always get multiple bids for granite -- installation prices vary substantially.

In terms of kashrus, granite slab is generally considered kasherable. I have been told by Star-K that granite tile is not so kasherable because it has so many seam lines.

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 6:34 pm
I disagree- granite looks and lasts better and longer (forever!) you will love it!

shop around like nuts- you can bargain in this economy and you can find very reasonably priced granite.

Atali

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 6:36 pm
Why should other parents have to cover $2,000 of her kids tuition so she can have granite countertops?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 6:57 pm
Why should other parents have to cover people who buy Kedem grape juice, Heinz ketchup, or French's mustard. I buy the generic brand stuff. It's not fair!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You can say that about anything. I don't think adding value to your home and making it more functional has anything to do with tuition. OP is not talking about adding a gold toilet. Granite will last forever, and laminite won't. It's plain and simple.

I probably should not have bought a house at all come to think of it, because I won't ever be able to pay full tuition for 3 kids ka"h AND mortgage payments! It's not fair to people who are still renting!!!

bfg

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:04 pm
my formica countertops are 23 years old and still fine.

Dini

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:09 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:
Why should other parents have to cover people who buy Kedem grape juice, Heinz ketchup, or French's mustard. I buy the generic brand stuff. It's not fair!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You can say that about anything. I don't think adding value to your home and making it more functional has anything to do with tuition. OP is not talking about adding a gold toilet. Granite will last forever, and laminite won't. It's plain and simple.

I probably should not have bought a house at all come to think of it, because I won't ever be able to pay full tuition for 3 kids ka"h AND mortgage payments! It's not fair to people who are still renting!!!

That's why I don't get why they are asking whether you made renovations, there are many people who do it to wow everyone and then don't pay tuition but for most people it's necessity. Maybe they should ask you what model car you drive?! or what sheitel you wear etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics