Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Which would you prefer - 2 ovens or a dishwasher?
1  2  Next

Shaz

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 5:30 am
We're moving to a new apartment BE"H and there is a built-in oven there already and a space for a dishwasher. I already have a free-standing oven that would fit into the space for the dishwasher.

So my dillema - keep the oven and have 2 - would be GREAT!
or sell the oven and buy a dishwasher - would also be GREAT!

What would you do? If you have 2 ovens and a dishwasher, what would you be willing to give up??

Thanks

shira

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 5:38 am
I have 2 ovens and no dishwasher (I mean, I'm the dishwasher Wink). It is such a pleasure having the 2 ovens and makes keeping everything separate much easier. I have a freestanding range for fleishig and a built-in oven for milchig. I put 2 burners for milchig into my counter. My family isnt so big but I dont find washing dishes such a big deal.
Good luck!

Shaz

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 5:45 am
Thanks for your reply. I would LOVE 2 ovens myself. The dishwasher in the family is my DH. and so he would LOVE a non- manual dishwasher Smile. The thing is that it would be for fleishik only, so there would still be dishes to wash! We also don't have a big family yet.
It's a toughy!

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 8:09 am
Would it work for you to get a large toaster- or convection-oven for milchigs? Then you could have the best of both worlds!

I'm moving and putting in a new kitchen too, iy"h, but it will be very small. I have to choose between counter space and a two-burner milchig stove (I.e. if I put in the stove, I'll have almost no pareve working space.) Which is more important, a seperate milchig stove or a pareve work space?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 8:12 am
I would LOOOOOVE having two ovens, hands down Very Happy
I have lived without a dishwasher for the past three and a half years and its actually not so bad! just my 2 cents!

Frumom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 8:34 am
I would rather have one oven and a dishwasher. For me, a small convection oven works just finefor milchigs. Believe me, our dishwasher gets used ALL the time! Not that I wouldn't wash the dishes otherwise, but what a mechayeh!

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 8:39 am
2 ovens!!!

supermommy

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 9:34 am
I vote for the dishwasher! Then again we don't eat much milchigs and our toaster serves us just fine.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 9:43 am
One friend swears by her THREE ovens, one for Pareve.

mother48

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 9:46 am
I vote dishwasher!

I have one, and I gotta say, it's the best. I have no prob hosting or serving nice, b/c then it all goes into the dishwasher...

I have a toaster overn for milchik, which is fine, and if I ever change, I would just put in a convection oven/micro for milchig. other then making a milchig simcha, don't need so much.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 9:54 am
I have two ovens, a fleishig and parve. and a milchig convection toaster oven on the milchig counter.

I also have a dishwasher that doesn't work anymore. I still use its racks for drying the pots and dishes, and that's very helpful. I couldn't manage without the separate ovens, so that would take priority.

If I had known how little I'd use the dishwasher, I might have put in another base cabinet. I'm managing without the dishwasher (but then again I use alot of disposable, including foil pans for baking) still, there's PLENTY to wash up.

Parve counter space, there isn't. I have a two burner milchig cooktop, and a milchig counter with 12 inches before the cooktop, 18 inches after that, a sink, and then another 18 inches of milchig counter. Then I have about 5 ft. of fleishig counter, and a fleishig range.

when I bake pareve, I clear off either the kitchen or dining room table, and cover with fresh tablecloth and plastic, and that's my parve counter. Any hot trays coming from the oven go on a very large parve cutting board, or fresh clean towels.

It would certainly be more convenient to have a built in parve surface that I didn't have to prepare each time. If I was doing the kitchen now, I'd want to add a complete parve island, with counter, cooktop, oven, and sink.

chen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 10:26 am
2 ovens, of course--you can always be megayes your children and dh to wash dishes.

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 10:39 am
I'd love 2 dishwashers. We don't make hot milchig dishes in an oven (like cheese lasagna), but the cereal bowls and ice cream bowls build up fast!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 10:44 am
I have a milk and meat oven and would love to have a dishwasher - or at least two sinks!

Shaz

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 12:01 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably keep the oven in the meantime and see how it goes - I can always get the dishwasher later. And maybe we could upgrade our microwave for a convection, then I'd have 2 ovens.
I had a milchik toaster oven/oven, but it didn't bake nicely and took forever to cook anything, so I'm not going that route again.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 4:02 pm
OK, I'm spoiled - I have one oven and two dishwashers. The two dishwashers made life SO good. I particularly hate doing dishes. I'm not lazy, basically (well, not too lazy, LOL) - I mean my kids use cloth diapers, which is more work and way more gross than dishes. I just HATE dishes. I don't find making do with one oven hard, but then we don't eat much meat, and DH BBQs almost every night when it's not too cold out. (Oh, and each dishwasher is portable, so it has corresponding counter surface, which I like)

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 9:19 am
DISHWASHER!!!!!!!!!!!

You can always get a small convection oven for milchig.

Bell

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 10:09 am
dishwasher!!!!!!!!!!

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 1:24 pm
HMMM...it's a toughie. It would be nice to have a dishwasher, but truth is that we use plastic during the week, and even on shabbos , unless we have new guests, then we whip out the fancy china Wink , so once a week to do dishes isn't so bad, but then again f I had a dishwasher maybe I would use nice china all week long...? Probably not, I'd be too cheap to run the dishwasher so many times a day LOL

So I guess I would go for the two ovens.Probably would make a lot more milchigs, like cheesecakes, pizzas, baked ziti, lasagne YUM

elisecohen

Post Fri, Mar 24 2006, 6:35 am
Dishwasher, no question here. If you have a large family or have a lot of Shabbos guests, it makes SUCH a huge difference. We went for the first 8 years or so after getting married with no dishwasher, and it was okay, but it was so nice to get one. And mind you I do a lot of baking and cooking, but I do fine with just one oven.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry