Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What do you give?
1  2  Next

What do you give your children on Chanukah?
money  
 21%  [ 16 ]
presents  
 44%  [ 33 ]
both  
 12%  [ 9 ]
neither  
 18%  [ 14 ]
other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 74

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:36 am
We don't give anything LOL , but my parents give money and my il's give gifts.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:38 am
I don't have kids, but my parents always gave us a few bucks and let us go nuts in the local used bookstore. It was awesome. DH got savings bonds.

cl

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:41 am
if I want to get my kids a new toy I will wait till chanuka to give it to them. also I will give small things like gloves. b4 shabbos I like to give a Jewish book, this is what my parents did 4 us. my kids are only 1 and 3 so I dont really give much gelt but I think as they get older I might give them more gelt and then take them to the toy shop an let them spend their money on what they choose.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:16 am
if I give them new toys games it's only before pesach.

chanuka I'll give them something small and maybe this year I'll give them a bit of money...

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:56 am
I would give them a small present each night (or one big thing over the whole holiday). Mostly because we live in a country in which the whole month of December and half of January changes into a living xmas play... And I don't want them feeling bad other kids around them get tons of things of "baby yoshke" and my kids won't get anything.... I don't want Chanuka to turn into something like the Jewish version of xmas or anything, but don't want them to feel totally left out.

ESB

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:16 am
My daughter is too young. But Id rather give presents than money.

Starhavah

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:58 am
We give one gift but DD gets from all of the grandparents, aunts and uncles. We usually give a more practical gift. Last year we gave Pjs, a bathrobe and slippers.

I feel it is important to have at least one night with no gifts. So we always make sure to do that.

This year we are giving a Didj. It is a hand-held electronic game but has educational games unlike a Nintendo DS or a Gameboy which DD has been borrowing from friends on the school bus. Also it is about half the cost of those machines. This was a big splurge for us, but DD is using other kids game machines so we felt we wanted her to have her own that had educational games rather than borrow ones with "kill them" and "Mario Brothers" games.

Havah

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:46 am
Trinkets (inexpensive presents like stickers or headbands or kiddie books), chocolate gelt, and taffies for playing dreidel. The grandparents might give a few larger gifts, but nothing major. DD wanted an mp3 for Chanukah, and the answer was no. Earrings are also not for Chanukah.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:50 am
I give presents. One big one on the first night and small treats on other nights.

frumluv

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:55 am
Nothing too major, books, a toy, etc.

heffer569

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:26 am
We give a gift everynight. Some are more expensive than others. Some nights may just be a doll or game and some nights may be something big like a trampoline or a wii we dont have a set schedule of when we give what everything is wrapped and we just give the first gift we see. Also the kids are still babies so this is really what our parents do and we have decided we will do the same.
As far as what I get Dh I try to get him a gift everynight but it doesnt always happen.

BlumaG

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:29 am
its DD bday on chanukah so she gets prezzies
otherwise we give gelt and let them pick out a gift at hte end of chanukah
I do ahve new books for them for shabbos chanukah though and a plush chanukah set DS who likes tearing books Wink

jewgal84

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:06 pm
I think it's a lubavitch custom to get gelt-money. That's what we did it growing up.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

misteray

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:17 pm
Where did this custom of giving gifts on Chanuka come from? For me it seems to be a bit non jewish- like x-mas...
Is there a mekor?

cy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:23 pm
I've heard that its not from the non jews, and its more like that the non jews got the concept from the Jews. I forgot where I read it and the exact reason.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:25 pm
jewgal84 wrote:
I think it's a lubavitch custom to get gelt-money. That's what we did it growing up.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

not just any night the 5th night Wink

as for me I try to find something the kids will like - and when money is an issue I just work harder to find something they like or need ...

I'm not into giving money as gifts even on chanuka - our chanuka gelt is purely chocolate coins that we play dreidel with ...

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:29 pm
hey, I'm not lubavitch, and my parents always gave us gelt money. I think that's what it was originally supposed to be, before people got into all the gift giving.

chanagital

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:30 pm
we give trips to the snow... trips to the park...fun trips we don't normally go on.. when we do give stuff... but mostly we don't give anything Chanukkah isn't about gift giving or gilt giving.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:37 pm
cy wrote:
I've heard that its not from the non jews, and its more like that the non jews got the concept from the Jews. I forgot where I read it and the exact reason.

Gentiles give gifts and x-mas to commemorate the gifts given to Jebus as a baby by the magi. Also, I believe that the growth of the custom (along with the selection of December 25 as the date for x-mas) may have to do with earlier pagan traditions the Catholic Church was trying to reign in.

Ronit

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:43 pm
my parents give money and my il's give gifts.

we always go crazy thinking of something to get my inlaws. here and there we did s/t for my parents too- but it's not a must. one year we put together a calender w/ pictures & here & there we bought a gift for them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics