Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I give up
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:07 pm
I have just given up on my health. I cannot diet anymore. Every time I diet I lose weight and then a short time later I gain it back. I have never in the last 15 years lost weight and kept it off. It is so demoralizing, I'm just giving up. I can't do this to myself anymore. Feel free to suggest something I promise been there done that gained it back and got the T-shirt.
I wish my obesity didn't affect my health. I wish the only issue was looks. I have made peace with looking the way I do. The problem is my body doesn't agree with me. My joints ache, I have heartburn, I have no energy, intimacy is physically uncomfortable, Im out of breathe all the time.
I just give up.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:15 pm
I get like you. I started the monjouro shots a few months ago. After about 5 months I’ve so far lost almost 20lbs so it’s not magic and it’s slow moving. But for the first time in a long time I’m not looking for or thinking about food all day!
So for me that’s a miracle!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:20 pm
The shots are $1000 a month. I cannot afford that at all. Not that I even know how to get them . They are just like a diet, you have to do it forever. If you stop you gain in back. I guess it's easier than dieting though.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:22 pm
Sorry. Maybe see if your insurance will cover them?
I know it’s forever but for me it’s still worth it

growingmum

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:23 pm
I feel for you. It’s not easy.
I think you need to support yourself with some very small changes however small, to support your health rather than nothing at all..
L’havdil if someone wanted to stop keeping Shabbos it would be better for them to keep one aspect so that they could identify with an aspiration that one day they could build on..

Think hard and be honest with your self of what you could realistically do

It could be something like- drinking water before eating
Putting unhealthy foods on a higher shelf
Buying one fruit or vegetable that you like and finding a nice way to eat it
Walking a bit each day
Or moving around as much as you can for just 10 minutes

Just something small but no pressure and see how it goes.
Also positive self talk and encouragement.. and compassion to self
‘I recognise that this is challenging but even though I’m not expecting consistency or perfection I’m going to support myself to do something to support my health’

Another diet I like is the eat everything as a salad so pizza salad, burger salad, chips salad etc (though this may not be an easy one)

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:36 pm
Have you tried Overeaters Anonymous? I was similar until Hashem guided me here,
it's the only thing that works...

Pini1

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:53 pm
It must be a real struggle. My mom tried ozempic and it’s working for her. Have you ever tried Ozempic, I know doctors subscribe that for issues with diabetes, and insurance covers it often.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:01 pm
I hear you op, yes please give up,
Give up the
Shame
self condemnation
The rules that never work
And please remember there is no score card. You can become healthy in your way starting now by being kind to yourself and feeling all of your doubts and fears. It’s ok to hurt.

Diets are score cards and measuring sticks that torture us for no reason.

Think about what feels good for you. What foods do you enjoy? make a list, you will be surprised how it’s not all ice cream and chocolate. Go slow and steady and do it your way. Make room in your life for the foods u love and find your balance.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
The shots are $1000 a month. I cannot afford that at all. Not that I even know how to get them . They are just like a diet, you have to do it forever. If you stop you gain in back. I guess it's easier than dieting though.

Fellow yoyo dieter here. The shots for me are around $500 a month. Still not cheap though. I've heard some get it for less. Also, instead of injecting every 7 days I do it every 10 so it's works out to be $500 for almost a month and a half.

I would disagree that it's just like a diet. The shot really curbs the appetite. I'm just not hungry. It's easy to not binge eat when I'm not hungry. Yes, it's technically forever but that's life. Any healthy lifestyle choice will only last if it's forever.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:05 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Have you tried Overeaters Anonymous? I was similar until Hashem guided me here,
it's the only thing that works...

Yes I did try OA. Did all the steps had a sponsor went to meetings....went the same route as everything else. Regained all the weight.

My insurance does not cover weight loss medication.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:06 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Fellow yoyo dieter here. The shots for me are around $500 a month. Still not cheap though. I've heard some get it for less. Also, instead of injecting every 7 days I do it every 10 so it's works out to be $500 for almost a month and a half.

I would disagree that it's just like a diet. The shot really curbs the appetite. I'm just not hungry. It's easy to not binge eat when I'm not hungry. Yes, it's technically forever but that's life. Any healthy lifestyle choice will only last if it's forever.

Are you healthier or only skinnier?
Even $500 is way over budget.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:07 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I hear you op, yes please give up,
Give up the
Shame
self condemnation
The rules that never work
And please remember there is no score card. You can become healthy in your way starting now by being kind to yourself and feeling all of your doubts and fears. It’s ok to hurt.

Diets are score cards and measuring sticks that torture us for no reason.

Think about what feels good for you. What foods do you enjoy? make a list, you will be surprised how it’s not all ice cream and chocolate. Go slow and steady and do it your way. Make room in your life for the foods u love and find your balance.

What do you advise? Can you explain?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:08 pm
I’ve been struggling for 6 years . I’ve gained 30-40 pounds in the past 6 years and it was just getting impossible. My dr gave me ozempic. It’s around $260 / month. I’ve been on 3 wks and have lost 6 pounds and it’s not such a crazy struggle!! I’m not sure what will happen when I get off. But my dr really recommended I try it, and then try really hard to maintain when I get off of it . My dr said that it often just resets your body.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you advise? Can you explain?

I recommend when you are ready to take steps again to improve your health be gentle and remember it’s not an all or nothing approach. Your cells in your body do not care if you ate pizza yesterday or a salad today. Dieting is a game. Instead , Create a plan that incorporates all of your food and activity preferences . And then pay attention to what makes you feel good. For me it was salt that was causing me weight gain and health problems. I saw my doctor and started taking statins and cutting my salt intake finally after years of denial. Once I medically cleared myself, I started making choices that finally made sense for me.
Start taking care of yourself by seeing your doctor ( if you have not done so already) and taking positive steps with no judgement.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I’ve been struggling for 6 years . I’ve gained 30-40 pounds in the past 6 years and it was just getting impossible. My dr gave me ozempic. It’s around $260 / month. I’ve been on 3 wks and have lost 6 pounds and it’s not such a crazy struggle!! I’m not sure what will happen when I get off. But my dr really recommended I try it, and then try really hard to maintain when I get off of it . My dr said that it often just resets your body.

Don’t know about resetting.
My mounjoro was out of stock for 2 weeks and I gained 4 pounds and was suddenly starving again.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:12 pm
I've been casually looking into weight loss medications recently and everything I researched said that statistically it's the same as any diet, as long as you're on it, it works. The regain statistics are the same. You stop the meds, you gain it back.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I did try OA. Did all the steps had a sponsor went to meetings....went the same route as everything else. Regained all the weight.

My insurance does not cover weight loss medication.

Did it feel right for you when you were abstinent and working the steps?

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:58 pm
OP I know this may not be what your looking for but I started working out 3 times a week, at first something low impact and easy like yoga and then to harder things.

No I have no lost weight. But I am stronger, I have lots more energy, I sleep better, I feel better, I am almost never out of breathe, and I really enjoy watching my body get better.

People have commented I look better and look like I've lost weight. I know I don't weight less so I'm not sure what it is.

I try to work on adding to my diet, not taking away, adding veggies to every meal, lots of protein, and not overeating but eating wtvr I want. Still haven't lost weight but I do feel better when I'm eating protein and veggies and not only carbs all day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Did it feel right for you when you were abstinent and working the steps?

I enjoyed the steps. The rest of it felt like a lot of work and the abstinence was not any easier than any other diet. If I experienced freedom and quiet, I may have stayed. It was just too much and I just burnt out at some point. If I could do step work without all the rest of it, I may have stayed or gone back.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:04 pm
Hashem,please help OP lose weight easily, permanently
And be healthy and happy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise