Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
How much have your hashkafos changed since you were in sem?

How much have your hashkafos changed since you were in sem?
Totally! I’m in a very different place now than I was then  
 45%  [ 11 ]
Somewhat—overall my values are similar, but the way I live my life practically is different than I envisioned back then  
 37%  [ 9 ]
Nope, I have the same derech and hashkafos now that I did in seminary  
 16%  [ 4 ]
Other (describe in comment)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:47 pm
I totally shtarked out in my BY seminary—was gonna marry a super frum long term learner, live in EY, keep chumras all over the place…then life happened and I’m a lot more chilled out than I used to be. DH is frum and ehrlich and an eved Hashem BH and I’m frum and dress tzanua and cover my hair etc.. We watch clean TV and movies, don’t keep many chumras, are both working on ourselves and trying to grow but without the “shtark gefeel” IYKWIM.

I think seminary-age me (and maybe some sem teachers, lol) would be horrified at current me. But I’m a lot more emotionally healthy and have more of a relationship with Hashem than I did 15 or so years back.

Wondering if there are others here who can relate!

amother
Almond

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:50 pm
Completely relate
And my husband has chilled out so much since yeshiva as well
We are both much happier where we are now

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:23 pm
I had the opposite experience. In seminary, I used to argue with the teachers about almost anything and everything hashkafically. I wanted to be educated, went college , only dated working men. After I had children, I realized I was wrong and now became much frummer internally and externally. I don’t live the learning lifestyle , but I now I think that maybe it’s the way to go. I don’t think my seminary teachers would believe it either.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:29 pm
This really needs a poll OP, can you add one?

My sem year had me in a state of artificial ruchniyus. I changed, "frummed out" but not in a real way, looking back. It was too fast, and too much. Within 3 years of being back BH I slowly went back to who I was in 12th grade, which was a healthy, mature, solid, hashkaficly sound girl. I was so balanced then-there was nothing that needed "frumming out".
Im also embarassed to say that what I absorbed in my sem year had me looking down on other frum people...looking back, it was really not a good mindset.

Im so happy I changed back

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:31 pm
I feel really good about my hashkafa now, B”H. Careful with a lot of things. One thing I have noticed is that I became much more practical . There is so much going on. Like I used to worry whether deodorant was kosher for Pesach. I still worry a bit about that kind of thing but now it’s eclipsed by the fact that I am cooking a ton, and planning menus, and would an alcoholic on a ship really want to drink my spray deodorant? So it became less pressing. Same with the idea of men “learning forever” … when I hear it I just feel kind of bad for the wives because it’s not so practical and they might resent it at my age (late 40s). So my Judaism has become wholesome, family friendly, and very practical.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:33 pm
I'm pretty similar. I did start out living in israel and it didn't work out for a few reasons so I moved back. Still wish it had worked out. My husband is not a long term learner because we needed more money. But if we didn't have all these needs my hashkafos would still be the same. Frumkeit wise I didn't lower anything at all.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:27 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
This really needs a poll OP, can you add one?

My sem year had me in a state of artificial ruchniyus. I changed, "frummed out" but not in a real way, looking back. It was too fast, and too much. Within 3 years of being back BH I slowly went back to who I was in 12th grade, which was a healthy, mature, solid, hashkaficly sound girl. I was so balanced then-there was nothing that needed "frumming out".
Im also embarassed to say that what I absorbed in my sem year had me looking down on other frum people...looking back, it was really not a good mindset.

Im so happy I changed back

Poll added! Smile

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:31 pm
I voted that I have the same hashkafos I had in seminary but the hashkafos I had in seminary were not the ones the seminary was espousing. I went to a very BY sem but was totally not interested in living a machmir life or having a kollel husband.

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:33 pm
My hashkafos and values are the same but their application is different due to real life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info