Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Kerem sem in lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:15 pm
Can anyone tell me what it's like? Type of girl? Program? Dorm? How much tests/work?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 10:46 am
Bump....please

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:54 am
anyone? My daughter is not set the idea of going to Israel for sem, but we have not heard of one in the US that sounds like a fit...so we are wondering about this new sem.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone tell me what it's like? Type of girl? Program? Dorm? How much tests/work?

In terms of type of girls: The person I know who applied there is very Yeshivish, and sort of Heimish.

Cressel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:58 am
What is she looking for in a seminary?

Describe what she wants in terms of academics and types of girls and maybe I could try to think of what could be a great fit.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:29 am
It has a dorm that I believe is mandatory. My niece there is a very yeshivish Lakewood girl, bais shaidel hs, father still in yeshiva. I don't how that reflects the whole school but that is what I know about it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:52 am
Thanks for the replies so far. My older daughter went to Israel, but this daughter just is not interested. Just because "everyone" does it doesn't mean she should.
We are not from the tristate area and don't have any family in driving distance, so we definitely need a dorm and if shabbos in is an option that would be a big plus.
She is a truly good solid girl. Not the rah rah type - never a camp girl but I think she can handle sem dorm. Great hashkafos, hard working, I would say very frum OOT yeshivish (maybe even in town yeshivish?). She is not materialistic, definitely not into name brands. She dresses nicely, but not trendy. She is very, very bright but does not want another year of high school with tons of pressure and work. She would like more of a hashkafa/halacha/torah for life lishma feel.
hope that was clear.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:02 pm
someone else just posted a thread about lakewood sem for non academic oot girl who is yeshivish...I guess thats what I am looking for too. mentioned there is bnos chaim...for some reason I heard that it is sefardi and chasidish, is that true? what is the "type"
hoe does it compare to kerem?

Chayalle

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:06 pm
Huh? My middle-of-the-road yeshivish Lakewood daughters attended Bnos Chaim Seminary. BC accepts a nice diverse crowd across all Lakewood types. Yeshivish, Heimish, Sephardi, one or two Chassidish....but I would say the majority is probably yeshivish.

I never heard of Kerem. It must be new.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. My older daughter went to Israel, but this daughter just is not interested. Just because "everyone" does it doesn't mean she should.
We are not from the tristate area and don't have any family in driving distance, so we definitely need a dorm and if shabbos in is an option that would be a big plus.
She is a truly good solid girl. Not the rah rah type - never a camp girl but I think she can handle sem dorm. Great hashkafos, hard working, I would say very frum OOT yeshivish (maybe even in town yeshivish?). She is not materialistic, definitely not into name brands. She dresses nicely, but not trendy. She is very, very bright but does not want another year of high school with tons of pressure and work. She would like more of a hashkafa/halacha/torah for life lishma feel.
hope that was clear.

Bnos Chaim sounds like the best fit

BY Intensive would be a second option. It has a dorm, the girls that go are definitely not into brand names, very solid girls. But it has a mix of chassidish and litvish, meanwhile bnos Chaim is mainly just litvish people. So it's not the best fit for your dd but it is an option

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
someone else just posted a thread about lakewood sem for non academic oot girl who is yeshivish...I guess thats what I am looking for too. mentioned there is bnos chaim...for some reason I heard that it is sefardi and chasidish, is that true? what is the "type"
hoe does it compare to kerem?

That info is wrong there are a few Sefardim and Chasidim in Bnos Chaim but the vast majority are mainstream Yeshivish. Lakewood and OOT.

I have heard Kerem is also yeshivish and maybe a little less academic and materialistic. (Not nebby exactly, but very yeshivish if you know what I mean.) It’s brand new so many haven’t heard of it.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:20 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Huh? My middle-of-the-road yeshivish Lakewood daughters attended Bnos Chaim Seminary. BC accepts a nice diverse crowd across all Lakewood types. Yeshivish, Heimish, Sephardi, one or two Chassidish....but I would say the majority is probably yeshivish.

I never heard of Kerem. It must be new.

I went to BCS and it was mostly yeshivish Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:36 pm
can ladies with girls currently in BC and Kerem (or if you work there) comment on the type of the sem and girls, academics, etc. Sounds like things change over time as seminaries get more established

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:46 pm
This is kerem's first year

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 5:46 pm
right, it's new...but BC is not, and I was saying that maybe it changed from a number of years ago. I had discounted it as an option from what seems to be old information.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 6:05 pm
I live OOT and know one girl who went to Kerem this year as well as a few girls who have gone to Bnos Chaim over the past few years.
The Bnos Chaim girls from my daughters school are quite yeshivish and VERY NICE girls. The school has gotten competitive and I heard it's not so easy to get in.
The girl who is in Kerem this year is from a heimish/chassidishe family. She is a doll--very aidel but very normal and approachable.
In short, the girls who have gone to either seminary from my city are great great girls and I imagine you can't go wrong.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 8:37 pm
My DDs 2 close friends went to keren… great yeshivish nice girls from top BY HS in Lakewood. Either the girl or the parents didn’t want eretz yisroel but had they gone to EY, would have been to Tehilas, chemdas or Zimras. These girls are nice and put together and with it but not fancy or japy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:24 pm
These both sound like good options to look into. Does anyone know what the dorm situation is for an out of town girl with nowhere to go for shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:49 pm
Also, is there a uniform? ( not important, just wondering)

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:20 am
amother OP wrote:
These both sound like good options to look into. Does anyone know what the dorm situation is for an out of town girl with nowhere to go for shabbos?

They place dorm-girls with families to go to for shabbos if they don't have anyone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info