Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Who is right in this situation
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:40 pm
We live on a small quiet dead end, 12 families. The dead end is a no parking, no stopping, no standing zone.
The kids play at the end of the dead end where there are generally no cars. The dead end was full of kids today, and a car comes with a driving teacher & student, and they started practicing U turns & parallel parking. Right there with kids running in the back & front of the car. The kids went off the road, but they thought the car parked so they kept going back on the street to play. The driver missed a kid by afew inches several times.
I went over to the car , and asked them if they can please find a quieter place because there are kids playing there. The instructor gave me such attitude & kept saying "it's legal." He made me seem as if I'm crazy and doing something wrong by asking. He eventually went away when he saw a male neighbor approaching.
So was I wrong in this situation?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:43 pm
You were more than right!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:44 pm
If it’s no stopping or standing then they weren’t allowed to be practice parking there.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:50 pm
Even if it is legal, it’s unsafe for a learner to be practising moves where children are playing. A safety-first mindset is the most important thing a driving instructor should teach his students.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
We live on a small quiet dead end, 12 families. The dead end is a no parking, no stopping, no standing zone.
The kids play at the end of the dead end where there are generally no cars. The dead end was full of kids today, and a car comes with a driving teacher & student, and they started practicing U turns & parallel parking. Right there with kids running in the back & front of the car. The kids went off the road, but they thought the car parked so they kept going back on the street to play. The driver missed a kid by afew inches several times.
I went over to the car , and asked them if they can please find a quieter place because there are kids playing there. The instructor gave me such attitude & kept saying "it's legal." He made me seem as if I'm crazy and doing something wrong by asking. He eventually went away when he saw a male neighbor approaching.
So was I wrong in this situation?

You were wrong here. Don’t ask him to please find a quieter place.
Say: you can’t give driving lessons on a street where kids are playing. Go find somewhere else.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:53 pm
You are both wrong. You can’t really tell someone they can’t drive on a public road at the same time, a driving instructor should be looking for a quiet road with no kids or cars for a beginner practicing.

notshanarishona

You are both wrong. You can’t really tell someone they can’t drive on a public road at the same time, a driving instructor should be looking for a quiet road with no kids or cars for a beginner practicing.

amother
Pewter

Legally it could be he was right you don't own the street. But obviously it's not the nicest thing to do.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:54 pm
you are so right
driving instructor should be doing that in a big empty parking lot area
complain to his boss if he has one
or the police
and if he insists on doing it then better safe than sorry clear the kids outta that area

WhatFor

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:59 pm
Everyone is wrong here but from a legal perspective you're probably more wrong. I grew up on a similar type of setting and we did the same. I loved it. We all played in the street. We knew to run out when the occasional car came or when a neighbor came home. But technically, the street is for cars, not kids.

Maybe the teacher thought this was a nice quiet place to teach a student to turn. Technically, it's not an improper use of the street while he could argue that kids playing there is an improper use of the street.

Do I think he was lacking in basic mentchlichkeit to pull up to a street full of kids and practice driving there? Yes. Do I think he was putting the kids at risk, even if their parents should have herded them away? Yes. Do I think that it was a liability for himself if anything happened, and therefore extremely dumb for multiple reasons? Yes.

But was he allowed to do that? Yes. And at that point, the proper thing for parents to do would have been to pull their kids out of the street and teach their kids about street safety, not dig their heels in about the driver. If you wanted to turn your street into a limited use street, you'd probably have to apply to some local board for that, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get them to agree. But look into it, it doesn't hurt.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:02 pm
You need to teach the kids that sometimes you need to stop playing when a car does come there

I agree he should have left but they also need to learn this

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:12 pm
tichellady wrote:
You need to teach the kids that sometimes you need to stop playing when a car does come there

The kids all went off the road when they saw the car. But they thought the car was parked as the car basically went forward & back in one place for about 20 minutes. So kids kept on passing the car not knowing that it wasn't parked.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:15 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Everyone is wrong here but from a legal perspective you're probably more wrong. I grew up on a similar type of setting and we did the same. I loved it. We all played in the street. We knew to run out when the occasional car came or when a neighbor came home. But technically, the street is for cars, not kids.

Maybe the teacher thought this was a nice quiet place to teach a student to turn. Technically, it's not an improper use of the street while he could argue that kids playing there is an improper use of the street.

Do I think he was lacking in basic mentchlichkeit to pull up to a street full of kids and practice driving there? Yes. Do I think he was putting the kids at risk, even if their parents should have herded them away? Yes. Do I think that it was a liability for himself if anything happened, and therefore extremely dumb for multiple reasons? Yes.

But was he allowed to do that? Yes. And at that point, the proper thing for parents to do would have been to pull their kids out of the street and teach their kids about street safety, not dig their heels in about the driver. If you wanted to turn your street into a limited use street, you'd probably have to apply to some local board for that, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get them to agree. But look into it, it doesn't hurt.

From a legal perspective, the dead end is a no stopping no standing no parking zone.
The car was basically parked, but going back & forth on the same spot for about 20 minutes. Little kids didn't realize that the car isn't parked.
The kids all went off the road when they saw the car. They know to do that.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:15 pm
If the child was tragically hit by the car, and police wouldn't arrest the driver, as children are not technically allowed to play in the road.

Teach your children safety, to stay away from any car especially when the driver is still inside. There are too many unfortunate car accidents of children running into the road thinking it was safe.

Don't be right be smart!

GLUE

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Legally it could be he was right you don't own the street. But obviously it's not the nicest thing to do.

If it is a legal No Stopping, No Standing, No Parking Zone then he should not be practicing there. One of the things that a driving instituter should be doing is obeying ALL TRAFFIC RULES while teaching someone how to drive.

The last time I looked it up you can not park in a No Standing, No Stopping, No Parking Zone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:20 pm
I'm actually wondering more about the manners/mentchlichkeit part, then the legal part. I believe that just because something may be legal (which may not even be the case here), it doesn't mean that we should be doing it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
If the child was tragically hit by the car, and police wouldn't arrest the driver, as children are not technically allowed to play in the road.

Teach your children safety, to stay away from any car especially when the driver is still inside. There are too many unfortunate car accidents of children running into the road thinking it was safe.

Don't be right be smart!

The children know about safety. They all went off the road when they car came in. But they didn't realize that the car wasn't parked. The car kept on backing & going forward in one place.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:22 pm
tichellady wrote:

They know that bh. They all went off the road when the car came.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
The children know about safety. They all went off the road when they car came in. But they didn't realize that the car wasn't parked. The car kept on backing & going forward in one place.

How old were the kids that they didn't notice the car wasn't parked? If they were standing there they would see nobody came out of the car. And if it kept going back and forth how would they think it was parked?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
How old were the kids that they didn't notice the car wasn't parked? If they were standing there they would see nobody came out of the car. And if it kept going back and forth how would they think it was parked?

Kids of all ages.
It kept going back, then stopped. Forth, then stopped.....
The adults were getting annoyed by it as well at that point.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette