Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Need opinion on right or wrong

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:20 am
I had a dentist appointment this Friday. My appointment was at 10:15. I arrived 10:13.
This dentist is known to run late, and I took that appt purposely, knowing I have enough time to get there after putting my kids on the bus, and should be enough time to be back for my kids bus, even if they're running late.

As I'm sitting and waiting, I overhear lady 1 (who was already there before I arrived), tell lady 2 (who came after me) that oh, her appt was 11:00 but she came at 10:00 because she knows they run late. This way, she gets taken earlier. I debated if I should say something, and in the end I did. I asked her outright if that's true, and when she admitted yes, I went to the receptionist. Now, I spoke quietly and wasn't looking to make a fuss. I told the receptionist that there's someone who checked in an hour early, and will that person get taken before everyone else here on time for their appt, or will they have to wait their turn according to appt queue? She ended up making that lady wait her appt in queue.

I also actually asked the lady outright (again, quietly), do you think it's fair what you did, I come on time, leaving room for dentist running late and seeing emergency patients, but absolutely not leaving room for ppl to show up whenever. I mean, otherwise we could all do the same thing!! She just stuttered and stammered and then I let it go.

I am actually not the type to ever open my mouth at all! I'm wondering if I did the correct thing or not, and if not, what would have been the correct way to handle it?

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:33 am
You did the right thing. Most offices wouldn’t even allow them to check in so early. There are appointments for a reason! It’s not a walk in first come first serve situation.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:39 am
Dentist should take as people are booked. Check-in time is irrelevant.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:40 am
Im not sure why you thknk she would hwve been taken before prople eho had appointments before her.
Sp she came early. Who cares? Every appointment at its time.
Sk she has to wait until hers.
Silly to come a whole hour ahead of time.
Especially igmg the dentist runs late.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:47 am
One can show up two or twenty minutes before appointment and that is fine. If this lady wanted to wait an hour she is entitled to do so. Schedule still remains.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:47 am
I don’t understand why she thought she’d be taken in early, given that the place runs late?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 3:03 am
Let me clarify. She wouldn't get taken in early. She'd get taken in earlier than she would have originally, because if she'd showed up to her 11:00 appt, she'd have to wait starting from then. Since she showed at 10:00, she started waiting from 10am, allowing her to be seen before all the people that had appts from 10-11. So being that I had an appt at 1015 and arrived on time, I anyways need to wait to be seen, but I would've needed to wait for one extra person to be seen because she came a full hour earlier.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 3:06 am
You definitely did the right thing. I am in Israel and you can get there as early as you want but your number gets put in at the order of the appointment. Once I was worried that the traffic and it was another city, so is there 20 minutes early because it turned out there wasn’t traffic and I never got put it in my number kept changing order based on who had an appointment before me which is what I totally expected. I never expected to be seen earlier. That sounds like stealing to me what she did. Literally stealing someone’s time. Glad that you spoke up. I don’t know how the dentist office would even allow that. Even if I don’t have a system with numbers they should be seen according to their scheduled time not who gets there first. I could have appointment at 12 o’clock and when I get there for the first appointment of the day sounds absolutely nuts.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 3:07 am
I’m pretty sure it’s in order of appointments even when running late so I’m still confused. 🤷‍♀️

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 3:13 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to reception about making sure no one cuts in front of you.

Since you're asking, I don't think it was necessary or really appropriate for you to say anything to the woman after reception already assured you of your spot. She's not doing anything wrong by showing up an hour early in hopes that her appointment will ultimately be on time. She has no obligation to ensure that the staff keep a certain order of appointments when they're already running an hour late. The real issue here is the doctor who has a built-in plan where patients needs to actively wait over an hour to be seen. At least patients can be messaged that they're running late so they can come later. But beyond you ensuring you're seen by a certain time, it's not your business what she does and who gets seen next.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:43 am
WhatFor wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to reception about making sure no one cuts in front of you.

Since you're asking, I don't think it was necessary or really appropriate for you to say anything to the woman after reception already assured you of your spot. She's not doing anything wrong by showing up an hour early in hopes that her appointment will ultimately be on time. She has no obligation to ensure that the staff keep a certain order of appointments when they're already running an hour late. The real issue here is the doctor who has a built-in plan where patients needs to actively wait over an hour to be seen. At least patients can be messaged that they're running late so they can come later. But beyond you ensuring you're seen by a certain time, it's not your business what she does and who gets seen next.

I agree that it was not OPs place to reprimand the other patient.
There may have been a slot when a person with an appointment would be late so the doctor would have seen her to fill the slot.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Let me clarify. She wouldn't get taken in early. She'd get taken in earlier than she would have originally, because if she'd showed up to her 11:00 appt, she'd have to wait starting from then. Since she showed at 10:00, she started waiting from 10am, allowing her to be seen before all the people that had appts from 10-11. So being that I had an appt at 1015 and arrived on time, I anyways need to wait to be seen, but I would've needed to wait for one extra person to be seen because she came a full hour earlier.

I'm confused.. you're saying she wouldn't be seen earlier but then say she WOULD be seen earlier.

Either way, people should be taken in order of their appointment times, not check in times.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:41 am
I think its very strange that you said anything to the woman. I hear if you want to ask reception how people will be seen but thats it. None of your business if she wants to sit there or hope to be seen earlier.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:51 am
Weird situation.

I think it's more common: if your appt is at 10:00 and you know they run late so you come at 11:00, hoping that if you missed your turn, they'll squeeze you in next anyway.

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:05 am
I have nothing to add other than this situation was a hilarious episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette