Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I’m that broke…
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:28 am
lovelylife wrote:
See attached screenshots for the pickup locations for Mishnat Yosef in Yerushalayim.
It also lists which day of the week the pickups are.
I don't have Mishnat Yosef in my neighborhood, but we do have from the schunah.
I am posting under my screen name so you can PM me if you don't either have MY in your neighborhood and I can try to find out if there's one from your schunah if you'd like.
The mechirot definitely save a lot.

Do you know why photos don’t work too view for me? I’m not sure how to see these. Did you find them on a website? Maybe I can check.
Thank you so much for this!!
What kind of food do they sell here? What do you buy from here?

salt

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you know why photos don’t work too view for me? I’m not sure how to see these. Did you find them on a website? Maybe I can check.
What kind of food do they sell here? What do you buy from here?

Fruit
Vegetables
All basic food products.
- however they do not sell everything every week. for eg. Telma cornflakes might appear every 3 weeks in the sale. You have to learn the frequency and stock up accordingly. If you end up without something that you need immediately and can't wait till the next time it's offered, then you do have to pop out to the makolet.

Also, basic clothes, household items, toys - all these are seasonal.
Also stuff for each upcoming chag.
Frozen products - chicken, meat, fish.

Some stuff you need to buy in bulk, for example, flour is sold in cartons of 12 kg bags. Very cheap, good quality pre-sifted flour.

https://new.mishnatyosef.org/branches

lovelylife

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:39 am
[quote="amother OP"]Do you know why photos don’t work too view for me? I’m not sure how to see these. Did you find them on a website? Maybe I can check.
What kind of food do they sell here? What do you buy from here?[/quote

I found this on the mishnat yosef website someone posted earlier in the thread.
Scroll down to the footer of the mishnat yosef site and click on sniffim.
Then scroll down to Yerushalayim, and you will see each of their locations.

I'm not part of mishnat yosef, but it's pretty similar to the mechirat haschuna.
From my understanding, none of these places sell the exact same things each week, but here's how it works on my end.

Pickup is from the school's driveway down my street on Wednesdays 4:45-6.
We receive an excel sheet every Wednesday night via email, and again Motzei Shabbos if we haven't yet submitted our order (I think Mishnat Yosef has a website). We usually sit down to do the order on Motzash.
Each week's sheet has a different list, but there are some basics that are the same.
There are some things that don't arrive, but you get your money back.

1. Seasonal fruits and vegetables (only seasonal because those are cheapest). Also, these things come in bulk, so I like to make soups with them if I see they're going bad toward the end of teh week.
2. Snacks, crackers, bamba, etc...
3. Bread, pita
4. Eggs (only once in the 6 months since I've joined, did they not come)
5. Plastic goods (plates, forks, spoons)
6. Disposable pans, silver foil
7. Plastic containers
8. Tissues, napkins, paper towels

There have been times where there were fresh wipes, pampers.
Other times they've had laundry detergent.
It varies.
Now for pesach, they have an abundance of cleaning products for sale as well.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 4:07 am
Regarding the sales, OP did not say how many kids are in her family or if she has an extra fridge/freezer. I personally feel the sales are not so amazing for a smaller family unless they have a lot of storage space. If OP lives in a small apartment where is she going to store 12 bags of flour etc.? Better to go to a large, cheaper grocery store like Yesh or Rami Levi once a week and buy what she actually needs. It doesn't sound like OP has the money presently to do a major stock up shopping trip.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 4:38 am
Reality wrote:
Regarding the sales, OP did not say how many kids are in her family or if she has an extra fridge/freezer. I personally feel the sales are not so amazing for a smaller family unless they have a lot of storage space. If OP lives in a small apartment where is she going to store 12 bags of flour etc.? Better to go to a large, cheaper grocery store like Yesh or Rami Levi once a week and buy what she actually needs. It doesn't sound like OP has the money presently to do a major stock up shopping trip.

That's true. Some stuff there is in bulk, which a small family might not need.
But a lot of stuff is single items or small packets, so one can do a bit of both.

OP has not itemized her income and expenses, so it's hard to help her cut back.
On the other recent Israel kollel budgeting thread it was easy to see that 11K NIS rent was a HUGE expense, and by renting somewhere else and smaller, OP could save 6K NIS per month.

Here, OP should do the same - list all her expenses and see where she can cut back.

I don't mean she has to do it on imamother, but at home with DH.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 4:58 am
When my husband was in Kollel and we lived in Yerushalayim, here are a few things that we did to save money!

-Went to OA/Shaarei Revacha every 4-6 weeks to do a stock up. We would buy produce weekly
-Bought whole chicken and cut it up
-Bought big containers of yogurt instead of smaller and more expensive
-chicken breasts- I would make stir fries, shawarma etc. I tried to calculate one breast per person

Date nights would be walks/picnics. Occasionally we would go out for falafel!

I didn't do mishnat Yosef when I was there because it wasn't worth it for me. However, you should look into it!

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:02 am
Hugs OP.

I'm probably repeating a lot of what was already said, but since I've been in your situation, I'll add my perspective in case it helps you.

I also travel in wealthy circles. But when we decided to do the kollel life in Israel, I had zero outside support. We used up our wedding money quickly, even though I had a decent job. When the kids started coming I quit, and DH took some side jobs to help. We were in the US for a few months and not sure if we could make it back. But DH arranged some family help at that point, and we did.

At certain points, we had very, very little. Forget lettuce. I wouldn't buy any cans of anything or cereal. Just cheap, fresh fruits and veggies. No meat or chicken except on Shabbos. No cleaning help.

We also moved out of Yerushalayim. Partly because it was too expensive, and partly because we wanted to be with people like us who were in it for the long term. My friends who couldn't handle any downgrade in lifestyle almost all left. So if you're in it for the long term, you might want to consider moving.

This is a different kivun, but I remember complaining here many years ago that I had planned to go to a shiur one night. It was something I never did, because who could afford a babysitter? For whatever reason, DH was supposed to be home that night and I was really looking forward. In the end, he called and said he was staying to learn. I forget what the reason was, but I was so, so disappointed. I got a lot chizzuk from the learning channel here that in choosing this lifestyle, I was giving up certain things. I felt much better. It's the same with money. (No, I don't mean a woman should never go to a shiur! It's just a one-time story as was the right decision for that time.)

I want you to know that things really improved. I can't even tell you how. We got more support, DH had a better side hustle. Many years later, we decided it was the right time for DH to go to work. Bli ayin hara we are in a much better situation now. We survived, we stayed.

To give you a little laugh, a cousin of mine recently came in for a specific family-related event. When he saw that I showed up, he was shocked, assuming I must have paid for an expensive cab ride to get there, since there aren't any buses. He was even more shocked that I, the new "Isreali," have a car. It's like the old, wealthy crowd thinks I'm still the nebach Israeli kollel wife LOL

It's tough right now. But hang in there. It will get better.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:17 am
IME two big reasons people tend to struggle budgeting are:

- underestimating how fast the little things add up
- not accounting for big expenses that aren't regular

Eg for the first, thinking "Oh, I spend about 2,000 shekels a month on food" but really it's 2,500, they're not taking the time to actually add up the 20-30 shekels they spend a few times a week on grabbing a few small things at the store, and it's higher than they realize.

Eg for the second, the monthly budget only includes monthly expenses. Not Pesach, or any other chagim. Or daycare during summer vacation. Or new furniture/electronics when the old stuff breaks down. Or shoes, glasses, braces... etc. But add that all together and it's easily another 1,000 shekels a month.

So my first advice is, think if either of those might apply to you.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:24 am
Mishnat Yosef and mechirat shchunatit are fine for any size family. Just don't get the huge packs if you don't need.
After you sign up, you can order on the website, phone or get the order form emailed to you.
Some seasonal items do sell out, so I try to go on MY on Thursday night.
Some items we prefer getting from elsewhere.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:30 am
Also OP you don't mention clothes.
Are you being frugel with yours and your kids clothes - gemachs, hand-me-downs, second hand, etc, or are you buying new clothes from kidichic two weeks before yom tov?

Do you renew things often around the house when you don't really need to?

As an example, my DH went over to our neighbor recently to help her unscrew a mirror from the wall, as she had bought a new one.
My DH asked her what she's doing with the old one. She said she's throwing it out! My DH was shocked, it was in fine condition and very nice. He asked her if he can have it, and we're giving it to one of my married kids.

You can buy things on yad2 - and sell items you no longer need.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:37 am
Reality wrote:
If OP is living in a furnished apartment in an expensive area it might be worth it to move for two reasons. One, cheaper rent and two, living with more like minded neighbors will make her life easier.

I do think shopping at a big discount store/sale will save a lot of money versus shopping at a makolet.

One comment regarding OP buying lettuce. All these posters that are going on and on about OP buying "prechecked" lettuce are out of touch with life in Israel. While that is a very expensive item in the US, in Israel the greenhouse greens are very affordable and go on sale. I buy them all the time three bags for 10 nis. That translates to less than a dollar a head! So people lecturing OP should realize there are huge price differences in other countries. What is unaffordable in your area may be a smart buy some place else!

Many green grocers in chareidi areas ONLY carry pre-checked lettuce and herbs which your can get 3 for 10/11NIS.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 6:20 am
So many good tips in this thread.
OP, you definitely need to learn how to shop as an Israeli Smile
When I see something without price tag I take items to cashier and ask to know the price. There is no reason why I should buy something without knowing how much to pay for it, even if it's something small!
Find out where to shop ( where poor chareidi israeli shop!) and learn to follow sales and when they are bound for happen (cleaning products on sale before Pesach, dairy before Shavuot)
DH should check if there are any mechirot in his Kollel or other discounts. Just anything that can lower monthly expenses (does he travel by bus? If yes, can he get a discount on bus tariff if he is a "student" in kollel?
Always try to buy produce in season. I always buy it green grocers and not in the supermarket to save money and I know which ones are cheap (sometimes a huge difference in prices!)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 6:31 am
OP, it's the hardest to go from comfortable to dirt poor.
DH tells me: In America it's an embarrassment to be poor. In Israel *they default* for chareidim is being poor and kollel families are definitely a part of that group. True kollel lifestyle means living very SIMPLE.
Young couples in kollel living with heavy financial support and parent's credit card IS NOT True Kollel Lifestyle.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:14 am
It's going to get easier, OP.

The first moment of panic when you realize you're spending too much is rough.

Cutting back is rough, because it requires a lot of willpower - you notice what you're not buying, and it's hard.

But once you're used to a lifestyle that you can afford it's a lot easier (obviously talking here lucky situations where that's possible, not true poverty).

General money advice:
- don't buy more house than you can afford
- live around people who are roughly at your income or a bit below
- never buy a car new
- before any major purchase, see if there's a cheaper way to do it (can you get the same furniture second hand, is there a cheaper travel destination that's still safe and fun, etc)
- budget for maaser, non-monthly expenses, and unexpected expenses
- find a couple dozen meals that are easy and cheap and that your family enjoys
- put money in savings before your paycheck even hits your account

IMHO if you do this you're like 95% of the way there. And most of it only needs to be done once every few years.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:28 am
ora_43 wrote:
never buy a car new

THIS!
Financially it's one of the worst things one can do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:43 am
Rami Levy online with same day delivery
https://www.rami-levy.co.il/he
Great place to check prices so you know approximately how much items should cost.

synthy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:23 am
IMO It’s ok to take out some money from savings, especially before pesach. Calculate exactly how much you’re earning and see how much you have left over to spend. If there’s no way you can cover the month maybe your husband can learn with a boy or bachur for a hour before/after seder, my dh does that and it makes a huge difference.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:51 pm
giftedmom wrote:
This might sound counterintuitive but:
I just want to say, props to your parents. Clearly they are giving you some money to live in but an amount that’s small enough for you to figure out what real life is before you get into a way, way bigger mess.
You’re young, your budget is comparatively small, you have time to figure this out. This is your rock bottom and your wake up call to start living within your means regardless of what others are doing.
And props to you. Clearly they raised you well if you stopped putting on credit cards and are keeping your savings where they belong.
They believe in you. They know you can do this, and you can.
Your friends that are living the high life? One day all of that money will dry up and they will find themselves with way bigger expenses and no idea how to cover them all.
Hatzlacha!

Too true. I have a good friend who had wealthy parents who funded everything for her. I always advised her to put some in savings for the future but she would say what for? I'm always getting more money. We both got married around the same time. We were self-supporting and probably went out to eat in our entire decade marriage less than they did in their first month. Then financial misfortune hit her parents and everything dried up. It was SO difficult for her and her dh to get on their feet and they called us up asking how to make a budget. bh they're in a better place now but that was a rough few years for them. Good for you for staying realistic!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:57 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
THIS!
Financially it's one of the worst things one can do.

Why never buy a new car? In Israel or generally?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 6:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are you married?
I cant imagine any of the advice you’re saying can come from a jewish source and last in a marriage.
He is not in kollel because he is “not practical”. Far from that.

I understand you preface by saying you are a bt. Welcome.
But please don’t give hurtful and detrimental advice that does not make much sense for a frum couple, and especially a kollel couple.

I hear where she's coming from in the sense that it's probably easier for him not to think about it because he's not the one earning it. I'm not saying this to demean him, but it makes sense that you'd be more conscious of every penny coming in.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics