Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby broke out from medication, switched meds

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:43 pm
My 15 month old broke out from a medication and the dr switched the meds yesterday. It looks like the rash spread even more since then. Just making sure, is that normal? I’m thinking it is, as the meds she broke out to are still in her system probably.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:46 pm
I would be concerned. I would consider keeping her on an antihistamine for at least a few days. I would also consider that maybe she has or is developing an allergy to the new medication.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:48 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
I would also consider that maybe she has or is developing an allergy to the new medication.

Lol I hope not! This is the 3rd medication she can’t have because of possible allergies!

anonymrs

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:48 pm
What medicine is it and why was it prescribed? I'd faster think it's from whatever infection she has than from the medicine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:56 pm
anonymrs wrote:
What medicine is it and why was it prescribed? I'd faster think it's from whatever infection she has than from the medicine.

It was bactrim and was prescribed for ear infection. She broke out terribly from amoxil once, so can’t have that or augmentin, as they’re both penicillins. So the dr gave omnicef, which has never worked for her ear infection. She was on it for 10 days, still had infection, so was put on bactrim. The next day she started with a rash and by the following morning it was all over her body. I doubt it’s from the ear infection, as she’s had that for 2 weeks already before she broke out, and she broke out right after being put on bactrim

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 7:52 pm
My child is allergic to Bactrim.. Broke out In a terribly itchy rash. Was around 11 yes old

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:00 pm
Rash is probably side effect of the medication, which is clearly a sign that it’s not good for your child. You can try Zithromax. My child is allergic to lots of meds too and this one worked best.

As an aside, if your child has an ear infection it’s best to do a cbc, just a tiny prick on finger to see if it’s bacterial. I always had my doctor do that before treating an ear infection. If it’s viral, meds for ear infection will only weaken your child’s immune system and not make it better. Especially if you’re dealing with a child with allergies.

Can you try MR ear drops to treat infection or something else?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:02 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Rash is probably side effect of the medication, which is clearly a sign that it’s not good for your child. You can try Zithromax. My child is allergic to lots of meds too and this one worked best.

As an aside, if your child has an ear infection it’s best to do a cbc, just a tiny prick on finger to see if it’s bacterial. I always had my doctor do that before treating an ear infection. If it’s viral, meds for ear infection will only weaken your child’s immune system and not make it better. Especially if you’re dealing with a child with allergies.

Can you try MR ear drops to treat infection or something else?

My dr already switched the meds yesterday, thanks. This is obviously bacterial, as she’s had this ear infection for a long time already. If it was viral, it would’ve cleared up on its own

New2Lakewood

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:32 pm
take your baby to the doctor for them to look at the rash. anyone can get a viral and bacterial infection at the same time.

I had this happen - my baby had an ear infection, the doctor said it was bulging and antiobiotics were needed. We started antibiotics and the next day there was a rash. I called about it and they sent in another type of antibiotics instead. The following day the rash was even worse - went to the office and the doctor said the rash was definitely not an allergic reaction, it was a viral rash. my poor baby had a bacterial ear infection and a viral infection at the same time.

OP I'm not saying it's not an allergy, but you should have a doctor look at it to know for sure.

refuah shelaima!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 12:27 am
New2Lakewood wrote:
take your baby to the doctor for them to look at the rash. anyone can get a viral and bacterial infection at the same time.

I had this happen - my baby had an ear infection, the doctor said it was bulging and antiobiotics were needed. We started antibiotics and the next day there was a rash. I called about it and they sent in another type of antibiotics instead. The following day the rash was even worse - went to the office and the doctor said the rash was definitely not an allergic reaction, it was a viral rash. my poor baby had a bacterial ear infection and a viral infection at the same time.

OP I'm not saying it's not an allergy, but you should have a doctor look at it to know for sure.

refuah shelaima!

So the dr saw her rash when she broke out from amoxil and said it’s an allergy to the meds. I didn’t go back now, when she broke out from bactrim but it’s exactly the same kind of rash

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
So the dr saw her rash when she broke out from amoxil and said it’s an allergy to the meds. I didn’t go back now, when she broke out from bactrim but it’s exactly the same kind of rash

OP I hope you were able to take your baby to the doctor to talk about next steps. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for an allergic reaction rash to clear up. One of my kids had it for a week - the doctor said it happens sometimes... You might need to see an allergist to test and verify that your daughter is allergic to one or both. Hope she's feeling better!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:23 am
amother Seashell wrote:
OP I hope you were able to take your baby to the doctor to talk about next steps. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for an allergic reaction rash to clear up. One of my kids had it for a week - the doctor said it happens sometimes... You might need to see an allergist to test and verify that your daughter is allergic to one or both. Hope she's feeling better!

Tysm, her rash is almost all cleared up by now. She has a well visit this week and I’m planning on discussing with the dr whether we should try any of the meds that she has broken out from, in the future. She’s on a medication now that I think isn’t really working, guess we’ll see by her well visit if her ear infection is cleared. She’s getting tubes iyh so I hope we’re kind of done with these constant antibiotics that either don’t work or she breaks out from!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics