Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
London?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:33 pm
We've been dreaming of a summer holiday in London for a few years, and had planned to go this summer. But I understand there are pro-Hamas protests every Shabbat. To me, this sounds like someplace I'd rather not go...

Anybody in London who can weigh in?

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:46 pm
That’s In the center of London. You’d be staying in one of the Jewish neighborhoods

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:49 pm
The idea is to sightsee in London, not to spend vacation hanging around in the Jewish neighborhoods.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:54 pm
There is also protests in LA and NYC and tbh in yerushalayim too (ok not the same message obv.).

If you’re afraid of anti Semitism I’ll be blunt - move to Israel and never leave.

If you want to have a fun week and good vacation avoid protests stay safe and have fun.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:57 pm
You won't be going to central London on shabbos. I would suggest to stay in the Jewish area (golders green is best and v easy to get to central London from for touring) You can eat there breakfast, buy food for lunch, and eat there in the evening. It will be much easier foodwise. There are some kosher hotels also.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
The idea is to sightsee in London, not to spend vacation hanging around in the Jewish neighborhoods.

If you would be spending shabbos in central London then you could simply avoid the protest.
There's probably more to sightsee in the Jewish neighborhoods on shabbos than in central London LOL

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

I’m not trip planning for you but most people stay near the shuls and restaurants which are very scarce in the center of town

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:15 pm
We canceled our planned trip to London this summer. We are going to a different European destination instead. I'm sure we are not loved that much anywhere in Europe, but London seems particularly unpleasant and unsafe right now.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:23 pm
I hear your reluctance. As a Brit, I would recommend staying in golders green and travelling to any landmarks during the day/evening.
Use holders green as your base for sleeping, Shul and buying food - all of which are easier here. Hotels in central london will be a lot pricier than here too.
I would suggest any males wear a cap over their yarmulke, but that's true for any European city I feel.
No need to pass up the trip because of weekly shabbos protests, when you won't be there then. Unfortunately there has always been high/low level antisemitism in London, but not at the expense of getting around.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 4:14 pm
Raisin wrote:
You won't be going to central London on shabbos. I would suggest to stay in the Jewish area (golders green is best and v easy to get to central London from for touring) You can eat there breakfast, buy food for lunch, and eat there in the evening. It will be much easier foodwise. There are some kosher hotels also.

Are the protests are only on Shabbat? If so, then yes, we won't be nearby on Shabbat.

But these thousands and thousands of Jew-hating people are milling about downtown during the week too, right? Are there no protests or incidents then?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 4:36 pm
I live in London and regularly take my kids to central London - we love it! The protests are on shabbos so we’re never there then anyway, have never had a problem on Sunday or during the week. Yes, would wear caps.

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:15 pm
I also live in London and we go to town regularly. My husband never wears a cap, always a kippah, and we never had any problems. I just saw a Jew today sitting outside with a kippah on in Primrose Hill.

Friends of mine who were in town on Shabbat for a simcha did get comments like free Palestine so it’s not that nothing ever happens but it’s definitely not dangerous to come here.

I’ve learned over the years that the media doesn’t present an accurate picture of the situation and always exaggerates no matter the country.

We were nervous of going to Berlin because of what I had seen in the media but the first thing we saw was a menorah (we counted 3 in the end, it was Chanukkah) and I even saw a non-Jew taking down an offensive sticker.

What really surprised me was that I met 3 (!) Muslims in the last months who were going out of their way to make me and/or my kids feel comfortable- at the dentist, when delivering my shopping… I’m not saying that’s the standard but I’m saying it’s more nuanced than reports show.

Btw many Londoners think it’s much worse in New York when watching the media!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 6:47 pm
It's strange because I have friends who don't really look at the news much, and they have no clue that there are protests here every Shabbos. I live in Stamford Hill and if I take the underground I can reach central London in less than half an hour. So we're close, but we don't feel the protests at all.

I'm currently pregnant with a high risk pregnancy and I'm at the hospital (UCLH) once every two weeks and sometimes once a week. The hospital is bang in the middle of central London. 5 minutes from Oxford Street. I've been going to my appointments for like 7 months now and have not encountered any anti semitism on the underground on the way to the hospital or at any point in my journey. In the beginning I was scared but I got used to going and have been fine, even though I'm a scaredy cat!

I (still) find touring London fascinating, and I would tell you to come! There is so much to do here and public transport is superb. London also has some fabulous well kept parks for kids (and adults) to enjoy.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 6:50 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
We canceled our planned trip to London this summer. We are going to a different European destination instead. I'm sure we are not loved that much anywhere in Europe, but London seems particularly unpleasant and unsafe right now.

I'm curious where you are going instead? Because in general much of Europe is more anti Semitic than England.

Busybee5

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

You wouldn't go site seeing on Shabbos though. I'm in Manchester and have no problems here besides for people putting flags up etc. Pretty harmless BH.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:50 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I'm curious where you are going instead? Because in general much of Europe is more anti Semitic than England.

We are going to Norway, but sticking to the fjords and small towns. We are avoiding the large cities. Hopefully it will be safe and beautiful! And we are from Florida, not New York.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics