Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Who takes care of dd with fever in seminary?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Not exactly. Different places have different amenities. Some seminaries offer in shabbos if girls don't have a place to go, some don't. Some offer 3 meals a day, some only 2. It's not necessarily connected to their rules about uniforms or allowed outings.

This is why it’s important to do research and choose a school that will best fit your needs and expectations. If you want a seminary with a super involved eim habayis, you need to go with a sem that offers that. Most do not.

Checking in daily on a girl with fever isn't called "super involved", but a normal, expected thing. Unfortunately, not all common sense things are so common.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say in your first paragraph and how it's connected to my post. We all know different seminaries have different set ups about meals and shabbosim. That has nothing to do with responsible and caring staff.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:52 pm
What is she going to do when she gets married next year?!!!!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

What a stupid question. She might get married in a year, therefore, seminary staff shouldn't be paying her any attention now when she has fever and they charge $27K?

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

She'll have a husband who can leave water, snacks, and medicine near the bed and call her during the day? If she's sick enough to be bedridden.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Checking in daily on a girl with fever isn't called "super involved", but a normal, expected thing. Unfortunately, not all common sense things are so common.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say in your first paragraph and how it's connected to my post. We all know different seminaries have different set ups about meals and shabbosim. That has nothing to do with responsible and caring staff.

Sure, checking in once or twice a day. Not being there 24/7 and bringing bowls of soup and snacks throughput the day. That's not realistic unless the sem has a 1950s style infirmary (and none do, to my knowledge). Op didn't say her daughter had no food, water, meds or people checking in on her at all.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:11 pm
ora_43 wrote:
She'll have a husband who can leave water, snacks, and medicine near the bed and call her during the day? If she's sick enough to be bedridden.

Op never said she was completely on her own, just that she didn't have someone coming in throughout the day bringing soup and snacks
Presumably if her daughter is married next year, her husband won't be able to stay home from work or yeshiva to do that, either, unless there's an extremely extenuating circumstance.

dena613

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:15 pm
We had a similar thread last year. Maybe someone can link.

dena613

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:17 pm
It was this year
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30071

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:20 pm
When I was in old Gateshead sem, we had sick rooms & Mrs Roberts, house mother, would check on us there.

Yes, she brought me soup & crackers when I was sick enough to be unable to get up without passing out.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:57 pm
Op never said she was completely on her own, just that she didn't have someone coming in throughout the day bringing soup and snacks
Presumably if her daughter is married next year, her husband won't be able to stay home from work or yeshiva to do that, either, unless there's an extremely extenuating circumstance.

You don't see a difference in being in a seminary which you pay Mega money for, and being married?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

Bh DH & me care for each others when sick. We help each others out & check in throughout the day.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
When I was in old Gateshead sem, we had sick rooms & Mrs Roberts, house mother, would check on us there.

Yes, she brought me soup & crackers when I was sick enough to be unable to get up without passing out.

But girls start there age 15/16, and Gateshead has very little other resources so if you need a doctor then Mrs Roberts has to call them. Much younger demographic. And Mrs Roberts is super unique and special. You don't get someone like her in any random sem, not even in Gateshead new.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't understand with all the money we pay there is nothing like a room for sick girls and madricha who gets the soup even from the freezer and a little TLC

My daughter has BH recovered, but she had medical situation a few months ago. There were adults helping her navigate clinics, hospital visits, and the aim bayit actually had her sleep in her house so she could get proper rest.
I don’t think they need to get involved in that level for a fever, but for something more than that, they should.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:58 pm
dena613 wrote:
We had a similar thread last year. Maybe someone can link.
eerily similar.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:16 pm
amother Jean wrote:
You don't see a difference in being in a seminary which you pay Mega money for, and being married?

College/college dorm is just as much $ if not more, and no, they don't offer bedside check ins at all. No house mothers. Just an RA who is probably less involved than a madricha.
It's not about how much you are paying, anyway, it's the set up. Seminary dorms do not have infirmaries or someone who is going to sit at her bedside and be available 24/7.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:18 pm
Sure, checking in once or twice a day. Not being there 24/7 and bringing bowls of soup and snacks throughput the day. That's not realistic unless the sem has a 1950s style infirmary (and none do, to my knowledge). Op didn't say her daughter had no food, water, meds or people checking in on her at all.

OP didn't say she expected 24/7 care, either. In fact, her very first sentence is "it seems there's no procedure or help at all". Between that and her next sentence about chicken soup and healthy snacks, your guess about her expectations is as good as mine.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:23 pm
OP,
I agree with you.
Not everyone has friends that are so attentive. Or roommates they are close with.
I think eim bayit/madricha should be involved when a sem girl is sick.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:47 pm
Could be you have to have a child in a dorm far away, sick in bed and can't budge, can't get food or water or medicine, till you understand that someone checking in on absent students is a necessity. A school's responsibility is the welfare of the students. For 30k they can make it happen.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:56 pm
My son had a medical emergency and the Yeshiva was very involved, a Rebbe went and stayed with him at the hospital all day, checked up on him constantly etc.

Shame on the seminary if there isn’t proper concern for a girl that is sick. They are responsible for them for the year.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:04 pm
Colleges with dorms usually have a health center on campus. When I was a freshman my RA sent me there when I was sick, to get tested. Turned out I had mono. I stayed in a room in the health center for two weeks and a nurse checked on me regularly. My friends brought me food from the dining hall.
But this was a college of $6,000 students. A seminary of around 100 girls doesn’t need an infirmary.

Everyone has roommates, the roommates should let the eim bayit know if something’s really wrong and she’ll come check. But honestly a fever isn’t a big deal unless it’s really high or there’s other stuff going on. The girl’s roommates should be bringing her food and checking on her just the way you would for family.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info