Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Fruit soup

mommy24

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 5:31 am
Does anyone have a fruit soup recipe that you do not need to use a blender for. My immersion blender just broke and I really wanted to make a fruit soup for Shavous.

teachby

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 6:55 am
This may be more of a fruit cup than a soup, although we call it fruit soup in our house. Some of the ingredients may depend on where you live (if you have a kosher store nearby).

Defrost a tub of Bodek frozen Strawberries in sugar/syrup. It doesn't have to be completely defrosted.

Boil some water.

Pour the contents of an envelope of Lieber's (or whatever brand, it doesn't matter) strawberry (or other red flavor) jello dessert into a big bowl.

Add 2 cups boiling water. Mix. Add the defrosted strawberries, a can of crushed pineapple, and a can of mandarin oranges.

Chill.

Serve it in bowls or cups. If you really want to get fancy, garnish with a slice of kiwi.

dewyt

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:09 am
when you add the canned fruit, do you add the juices/syrups as well? or is the jello meant to be the base "sauce" juice whatever?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:11 am
My mother makes it like this.
cut up any summer fruit and cook it in water and put in a pack of any jello. Make sure there's at least 3 1/2 or more cups of water so the jello won't gel.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:19 am
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you need to blend fruit soup?
I make it from the "leftover" summer fruit in the bottom of my fruit bin. In the States I would boil up whatever I found in the bin, and add a container of blueberries (waaaaa, we don't get them here) and a can of pineapple in it's own juice. Always delicious. Sugar to taste. Sometimes I add vanilla. This week I added a jar of sour cherries instead of blueberries. Plums give a great color.

mommy24

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:54 am
thanks for all your replies.

Tamiri I agree with you, I don't see the need for blending, but all recipes seem to call for a food precessor or blender. I think I will make just a mixture of summer fruits, no jello though.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:56 am
For me, jello (and too much sugar) ruin the goodness. True the jello adds flavor.. but the chemicals and food coloring go along with it. Fruit soup, served cold, is delicious by itself.

tovarena

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:57 am
Tamiri wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you need to blend fruit soup?
I make it from the "leftover" summer fruit in the bottom of my fruit bin. In the States I would boil up whatever I found in the bin, and add a container of blueberries (waaaaa, we don't get them here) and a can of pineapple in it's own juice. Always delicious. Sugar to taste. Sometimes I add vanilla. This week I added a jar of sour cherries instead of blueberries. Plums give a great color.

It depends if your concept of fruit soup is more "creamy" or more "soupy". My favorite one is blender-based. It's strawberries, yogurt, honey, and dry wine. I just made it last night for yom tov. YUM!

sky

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 9:47 am
the easiest is blend 1 cup oj 1 pkg frozen strawberries in syrup and 1 can crushed pineapple with am immersion blender. it is refreshing and can be served slightly frozen/slushy

teachby

Post Sun, Jun 08 2008, 8:20 am
Quote:
when you add the canned fruit, do you add the juices/syrups as well? or is the jello meant to be the base "sauce" juice whatever?

whole can--juice, syrup, everything.

tinker-belle

Post Sun, Jun 08 2008, 11:21 am
So easy and so yummy...
After ONE time of spending 2 hours making fruit soup cutting up all these fruits, my friend gave me this recipe:
3 cups of water
2 tbs. corn starch dissolved.
1 bag frozen strawberries.
1 12 oz. frozen OJ
2 cans of sweet pitted cherries
2 cans of sliced peaches in heavy sauce.

Mix all together- don't even have to heat it up- just put it in fridge and eat when chilled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus