Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
The community of Modiin
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
momofgold wrote:
we saw something in a yishuv in the gush, a basement apartment, but proper kitchen, bedrooms etc for closer to 600.

That's insane! You can get a proper apartment with garden for that much in Efrat. Where in the gush? Neve Daniel is overpriced because they try to think of themselves as "exclusive", if that is what you are talking about.

we dont want efrat as we thought that it was a bit tooo modern for us.
yes we were talking about neve daniel. but we really loved the gush and have not really found ways to look in other places for rentals...

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
I guess you would have to visit and see. I know someone who rented a Chashmonaim basement apt. (don't know how much they paid) and it was awful. It had lots of steps leading down to the apartment, so if you have little kids it would be torture. There was a tiny garden so it didn't have a total basement feel, but I mean tiny. And there were privacy issues and it didn't feel like the most secure apt. I don't know if this is representative of what they have, but Hashmonaim tends to be overpriced because in recent years the "rich americans" built big houses and drove the prices up. If you are looking for a religious yishuv near modiin, there are others that are as nice or nicer, albeit with less English speakers, that aren't so overpriced. And more Torani, if that is what you are looking for.

as in?????????? which ones???????

LisaS

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 10:45 am
I would also like to hear more about chashmonaim if anyone knows. I have heard there is an American side and Israeli side and the american side is more expensive. Is the Israeli side more affordable? Does it have a community feel?

Also does anyone know about Nof Ayalon?

Also why are so many people on this thread anonymous?

(I think I will see if Nefesh Bnefesh has any contact info for these communities. )

baseballmom

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 7:11 pm
What about matityahu?

lst

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:26 pm
I live in Nof Ayalon. It is a Dati Leumi community. It is very warm and friendly. The community is so nice! There is a little bit of separation between the Israelis and Americans but they are all friendly with each other. Theres no specific american section, so the israelis and americans are all mixed. There are two parts to nof ayalon. Shlav aleph (Was built first) and shlav bet. There are houses in both, but it is extremely hard to find a house. It is possible though. In shlav bet there are some regular apartments and a lot of basement apartments. I dont know the sizes of stuff about the apartments though. Pricing wise, I know houses are around 250, give or take, depending on the house. Renting wise, the last I heard the apartments are around 400, but it could have changed.
There is a vaad kabala, you need to be "accepted" to be able to live here. This is because the whole yishuva is dati leumi-all shomrei shabbat etc.
It is also pretty necessary to have a car here. There are two makolets within the yishuv. One by the Yeshiva (Shaalvim) and one by the kibbutz. There are supermarkets close by, but you would need a car to get there. It is possible to take cabs, tho they charge a bit much as they are come from Modi'in. Modi'in is about 5 minutes away by car. So you have everything there-doctors, stores, shopping, restaurants, etc. (There are doctors in nof ayalon as well). It is also close by to Chashmona'im, Kiryat Sefer. and on the other side of the yishuv we are close to Ramla, Lod, Rechovot, etc.
Nof ayalon is a wonderful community, there are shiurim all the time, there are community events, etc.
It is mostly Israeli but there are a nice amount of Americans as well, a definite Anglo presence.
Feel free to ask any questions

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:56 am
3cutiesmommy wrote:
What about matityahu?
thats a charedi moshav, so for those that were looking for a dati leumi place to live, that would not work.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:57 am
LisaS wrote:
I would also like to hear more about chashmonaim if anyone knows. I have heard there is an American side and Israeli side and the american side is more expensive. Is the Israeli side more affordable? Does it have a community feel?

Also does anyone know about Nof Ayalon?

Also why are so many people on this thread anonymous?

(I think I will see if Nefesh Bnefesh has any contact info for these communities. )

OP here: I was to remain anonymous even if I end up moving somewhere where there are others that go on this site, thats all.

chavamom

Post Sat, Jun 02 2007, 9:32 pm
LisaS wrote:

To be more specific most of the religious people here are modern orthodox. There is a small garin torani and a hesder yeshiva that are starting out. Most people here who are "torani" belong to one of those institutions. I think as the yeshiva grows there will be more torani families. Also modiin is atractin more and more religious families so I think things will change religiously. For now I stand out at shul cause I am one of the only women that cover all their hair.

This is not an accident. We lived in the area when Modi'in was first being built. I don't know exactly how the city planning and dictates come about, but at that point, the builders would not sell to charedim. The "official" word was that Modi'in Elit (Kiryat Sefer and environs) were designated in planning for charedim and Modi'in was supposed to be secular. That really sickened me.

chavamom

Post Sat, Jun 02 2007, 9:34 pm
3cutiesmommy wrote:
What about matityahu?

I'm a former Matityahu member if anyone wants to know more about it.

LisaS

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 6:56 am
Wow chavamom I can't believe that! But really I can believe it. so sad.

baseballmom

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 4:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
3cutiesmommy wrote:
What about matityahu?
thats a charedi moshav, so for those that were looking for a dati leumi place to live, that would not work.

I think of it as somewhere between charedidi and dati leumi...

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:18 pm
3cutiesmommy wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
3cutiesmommy wrote:
What about matityahu?

I think of it as somewhere between charedidi and dati leumi...

True, it's not Israeli charedi, it's (mostly) American-style yeshivish with bal habatim.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 11:26 am
But I think no televisions are allowed there, right?

supermom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 2:32 am
chavamom wrote:
3cutiesmommy wrote:
What about matityahu?

I'm a former Matityahu member if anyone wants to know more about it.

Can you give more info about this place?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 3:24 am
My brother lives there with his inlaws family and I visit often. If you get accepted, you must agree to follow the paskining of the rav, Rabbi Zev Leff, a wonderful rav but stricter than dati-leumi leniencies. You can't have TV. Many children go to school in Kiryat Sefer so even more so do you need to conform to that communities standerds to fit in. The Americans are very frum but in a normal way. The reason I'd never live there is because it is too small of a moshav for me and I don't like a rav picked out for me. There are plenty of pros such as a tight knit community and assurity that everyone keeps the same level of kashrus (only certain hecksherim are allowed into the moshav) and everyone has there own house (although unless you build one they are quite small.) I'm not sure of the prices because since my brother married a girl from the moshav, they got a good deal on the housing. I think now you have to buy into it with $100,000 or so but you'd have to check it out. Hope this helps. We're looking for a new community and just have not found much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions