Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
The community of Modiin
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:25 am
Does anyone know anything about the community of Modiin? My husband and I were thinking about looking into moving there but we wanted to know more about the kehilla/kehillot there.

thank you.

LisaS

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:37 am
Hi Amother,
We live in Modiin now. First off Modiin is a city with about 5-6 neighborhoods a few of which are religious. It is not a small community rather has a city feel. But you can find your niche and be happy.
What are you looking for or what would you like to know about? Where are you moving from, are you looking into schools, is it important to you to live near anglos, do you want a house or apt, are you looking to settle or only short term?
Lisa

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:48 am
LisaS wrote:
Hi Amother,
We live in Modiin now. First off Modiin is a city with about 5-6 neighborhoods a few of which are religious. It is not a small community rather has a city feel. But you can find your niche and be happy.
What are you looking for or what would you like to know about? Where are you moving from, are you looking into schools, is it important to you to live near anglos, do you want a house or apt, are you looking to settle or only short term?
Lisa

hi lisa, thank you for responding. we ar emoving from ramat beit shemesh. at the moment we are not looking into schools but in the future, please G-d, we will be. since you mentioned it, what kind of schools are there? we would like to live in a community that is mixed in terms of anglos, that there should be anglos but also israelis and others. we do NOT want a community that is only anglo. we want to feel like we are in israel, if that makes any sense.
we dont care if it is an apt or a house as long as there is an ability to have a garden (we would lovev animals as well as room for future chidren to play).
in terms of renting or buying, whatever we would decide, we would rent for a year to make sure that we liked the community and made friends.
can I ask, and if you know, what are the ranges or prices for buying an pat or house?
thanks for your help.

Marion

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:03 am
When we were looking to buy last year, a 3 bedroom apartment without a garden (although with a nice sized balcony) was STARTING at 250 (that's $, and thousands). A 4 bedroom was more, and with a garden already was over 300. That was new from the builder (all in Buchman...largely Anglo as I understand it)...a resale is probably around the same though.

LisaS

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:04 am
I will iyH be able to write a longer response after the kids go to bed tonight. Does it make more sense to PM about this or do you think the info might be helpful to someone else?

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:05 am
Marion wrote:
When we were looking to buy last year, a 3 bedroom apartment without a garden (although with a nice sized balcony) was STARTING at 250 (that's $, and thousands). A 4 bedroom was more, and with a garden already was over 300. That was new from the builder (all in Buchman...largely Anglo as I understand it)...a resale is probably around the same though.

wow, I did not realize that it was so expensive. that is just as expensive as some yishuviim that we were thinking about.
gosh, does anyone know of places that are more around 200?

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:17 am
LisaS wrote:
I will iyH be able to write a longer response after the kids go to bed tonight. Does it make more sense to PM about this or do you think the info might be helpful to someone else?

whatever you think is best. let me know and I will give you my name if you thnk PMing is better, but I dont care one way or the other.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 11:05 am
If you don't mind posting here, I'll read it too. We've been debating the idea of aliyah, and Modi'in was a community we are strongly considering.

LisaS

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 2:55 pm
Sorry in advance for the long post...
We made aliya to Modiin so I actually can't compare to living in any other place. We feel it was a great place to start out in but we probably will not settle here. We liked coming here cause it was central, we are managing fine without a car, we had friends here and have also made many friends since coming, my husband has a daily chavruta, shul we have everything we need. But we want to settle in a smaller community not a large city, and Modiin just keeps growing. Also religiously it is not our ideal place, although it probably will change in the coming years. We are happy for now.
To be more specific most of the religious people here are modern orthodox. There is a small garin torani and a hesder yeshiva that are starting out. Most people here who are "torani" belong to one of those institutions. I think as the yeshiva grows there will be more torani families. Also modiin is atractin more and more religious families so I think things will change religiously. For now I stand out at shul cause I am one of the only women that cover all their hair. I have made friends of various religious levels and that is nice.
Another poster mentioned Buchman real estate. That is the most expensive neighborhood in Modiin and is largely anglo. Kaiser is another neighborhood which is more affordable, young families, parks, and religious life. However, it is large, so it isn't a small community feel if that is what you are looking for. Giva C is older and cheaper than Buchman, has more of a community feel cause it is smaller and is very concentrated with religious people. I don't know prices on buying cause we are only renting now. But I do think that anywhere between tel aviv and jerusalem that is not over the green line is going to be expensive except maybe a place like kiryat sefer.
Another plus to Modiin is that there is a cheif rabbi plus 2 other rabbis who serve the public. They are always available to questions, they give shiurim and have a good rabanut set up. The downside is that Modiin was not built to be a religious city so the city is still catching up to build enough shuls and mikvas as of now there aren't enough.
I don't know if I have said too much so I will stop here.
Lisa

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:14 am
LisaS wrote:
Sorry in advance for the long post...
We made aliya to Modiin so I actually can't compare to living in any other place. We feel it was a great place to start out in but we probably will not settle here. We liked coming here cause it was central, we are managing fine without a car, we had friends here and have also made many friends since coming, my husband has a daily chavruta, shul we have everything we need. But we want to settle in a smaller community not a large city, and Modiin just keeps growing. Also religiously it is not our ideal place, although it probably will change in the coming years. We are happy for now.
To be more specific most of the religious people here are modern orthodox. There is a small garin torani and a hesder yeshiva that are starting out. Most people here who are "torani" belong to one of those institutions. I think as the yeshiva grows there will be more torani families. Also modiin is atractin more and more religious families so I think things will change religiously. For now I stand out at shul cause I am one of the only women that cover all their hair. I have made friends of various religious levels and that is nice.
Another poster mentioned Buchman real estate. That is the most expensive neighborhood in Modiin and is largely anglo. Kaiser is another neighborhood which is more affordable, young families, parks, and religious life. However, it is large, so it isn't a small community feel if that is what you are looking for. Giva C is older and cheaper than Buchman, has more of a community feel cause it is smaller and is very concentrated with religious people. I don't know prices on buying cause we are only renting now. But I do think that anywhere between tel aviv and jerusalem that is not over the green line is going to be expensive except maybe a place like kiryat sefer.
Another plus to Modiin is that there is a cheif rabbi plus 2 other rabbis who serve the public. They are always available to questions, they give shiurim and have a good rabanut set up. The downside is that Modiin was not built to be a religious city so the city is still catching up to build enough shuls and mikvas as of now there aren't enough.
I don't know if I have said too much so I will stop here.
Lisa

lisal, thank you for all of that info. it sounds like the communities would probably be a bit too modern for us. we do consider ourselves dati leumi/ modern orthodox but I cover most of my hair (I have short hair so a drop in the back is left out - if I had long hair it would all be covered) and we are also looking for a smaller community, not really city like ppl. we want a small yishuv like neighborhood.
thank you for all of this info.

LisaS

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:31 am
Good luck!
We are also looking into communities so maybe I will start another post.
Lisa

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:35 am
LisaS wrote:
Good luck!
We are also looking into communities so maybe I will start another post.
Lisa
what kind of communities are you looking into? we are looking into yishuvim. I had asked about modiin b/c I thought that it might be cheaper than a yishuv, but you said otherwise.

momofgold

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:45 am
I live in modi'in illit, which may be too religious for you, but how about chashmonaim- we looked into moving there, it is small and is really beautiful

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:47 am
momofgold wrote:
I live in modi'in illit, which may be too religious for you, but how about chashmonaim- we looked into moving there, it is small and is really beautiful
thank you, yes, kiryat sefer is too frum for us, but chashmonaim I have heard is VERY expensive, no? we are not looking to buy at the moment, we are just my husband and myself at the moment, so we would really be looking just to rent an apartment and I dont think that chashmonaim have any.

momofgold

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:50 am
There are people that rent out their basements or bottom floor for very reasonable prices. between $350-400. yes there are no buildingd there.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:56 am
momofgold wrote:
There are people that rent out their basements or bottom floor for very reasonable prices. between $350-400. yes there are no buildingd there.
wow, this is in chashmonaim??? for 350 to 400 dollars? if that is the case, thank you for the info, we will have to look at it:)

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
momofgold wrote:
wow, this is in chashmonaim??? for 350 to 400 dollars? if that is the case, thank you for the info, we will have to look at it:)

$350-400 is not so reasonable a price to live in someone's basement in a yishuv. Just for price comparison, you can find a very nice apt. in Modiin (which has a way more expensive housing market) for $500 in Givat C. Also, in case you don't have a car, that might be a problem for you in Hashmonaim.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
momofgold wrote:

$350-400 is not so reasonable a price to live in someone's basement in a yishuv. Just for price comparison, you can find a very nice apt. in Modiin (which has a way more expensive housing market) for $500 in Givat C. Also, in case you don't have a car, that might be a problem for you in Hashmonaim.

well, what do you mean by a basement apartment? an actual apartment just under someones house? we saw something in a yishuv in the gush, a basement apartment, but proper kitchen, bedrooms etc for closer to 600.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 11:16 am
I guess you would have to visit and see. I know someone who rented a Chashmonaim basement apt. (don't know how much they paid) and it was awful. It had lots of steps leading down to the apartment, so if you have little kids it would be torture. There was a tiny garden so it didn't have a total basement feel, but I mean tiny. And there were privacy issues and it didn't feel like the most secure apt. I don't know if this is representative of what they have, but Hashmonaim tends to be overpriced because in recent years the "rich americans" built big houses and drove the prices up. If you are looking for a religious yishuv near modiin, there are others that are as nice or nicer, albeit with less English speakers, that aren't so overpriced. And more Torani, if that is what you are looking for.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 11:19 am
momofgold wrote:
we saw something in a yishuv in the gush, a basement apartment, but proper kitchen, bedrooms etc for closer to 600.

That's insane! You can get a proper apartment with garden for that much in Efrat. Where in the gush? Neve Daniel is overpriced because they try to think of themselves as "exclusive", if that is what you are talking about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions