Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you turning over??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

When are you turning over??
Thursday night.  
 28%  [ 42 ]
Motzi Shabbat.  
 27%  [ 41 ]
Sometime on Sunday.  
 21%  [ 32 ]
Wednesday  
 14%  [ 22 ]
Earlier  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 147

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:42 pm
Oh, I am making a seder for 100+ people, plus the second seder and all the other meals for 10-15+ people.

I'd like to do all baking and desserts and kugels before yom tov if possible.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 1:59 pm
I wonder how much the size of the kitchen factors in. It took DH about an hour to kasher today; it is several hours to cover, about an hour to shlep boxes, and probably 2+ hours to unpack and put away the dishes.

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:48 pm
Raisin wrote:
Oh, I am making a seder for 100+ people, plus the second seder and all the other meals for 10-15+ people.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy shock shock shock Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Thumbs Up Salut

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:01 pm
I'm only making a seder for 12. I can't compare Smile

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:14 pm
imasinger wrote:
I wonder how much the size of the kitchen factors in. It took DH about an hour to kasher today; it is several hours to cover, about an hour to shlep boxes, and probably 2+ hours to unpack and put away the dishes.

It's 10-15 minutes to cover my counters (I have pre-cut covers I just roll out every year). I have inserts for my sinks (though I "kasher" around the faucet anyway). I haven't decided yet if I'm kashering my oven or not.

The shlepping takes the longest; about 2 hours of shlepping and organizing.

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:19 pm
Marion, where do you shlep from?

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:24 pm
chani8 wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy shock shock shock Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Thumbs Up Salut

I'm hiring people to help me cook and serve, its not just me. embarrassed

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:32 pm
Trying to turn over by Monday or Tuesday morning. Going to a professional conference Wednesday, Thursday, Friday!!! So excited for that!!!!

Then will cook next Sunday & Monday.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 5:45 pm
I changed over my meaty side one and a half weeks ago. I have now totally finished cooking (I have tons of guests) and almost finished baking. the rest of this week I will do a couple more cakes and zehu.
I am so impressed with those who manage to change over only a few days before pesach and get everything done. I could never do it.

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 5:47 pm
Why are you anonymous?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 5:49 pm
How do you people just turn over a half a kitchen? It would never fly here! No pesach stuff allowed unless there is zero chometz in the kitchen!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:06 pm
My children are older so it's fine to change over only half, because they eat chometz carefully on the milky part of the kitchen. I have a baby but she is too young to cause any problems.

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:12 pm
I suppose that the amount of time you need before Pesach to cook everything also depends on the amount of chumrot you keep. Like if you need to make everything from scratch.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:15 pm
Zus wrote:
I suppose that the amount of time you need before Pesach to cook everything also depends on the amount of chumrot you keep. Like if you need to make everything from scratch.

Yes. If I would buy ready made chocolate, snacks and cookies I would spend far less time baking.

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:20 pm
Raisin wrote:
Yes. If I would buy ready made chocolate, snacks and cookies I would spend far less time baking.

I wouldn't. Technically we eat ready made cakes and cookies but I never buy them. I always bake from scratch.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:41 pm
I hope to turn over Wednesday. I'm working through eruv Pesach so I need my nights to clean, turn over and cook. I hope Tuesday to finish all cleaning and Kashering and Wend to cover and bring out dishes. It takes a long time.
Then I need Thursday to cook for shabbos like normal, just with Pesach dishes. We still eat matza so we will eat matza on shabbos, this way I don't have to worry about bread in the house after turning over. I may server a kitniyos cholent.
We don't eat chicken on Pesach or cook it in the house, so the hard part is that once I turn over we are only eating meat and meat soup. No chicken, shnitzel or chicken soup. I find that the hardest.

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 7:42 pm
Raisin wrote:

WOW!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:40 pm
Turning over tom iyh. And yes I have little kids with no big kids to help

marina

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:44 pm
I've turned over and back again a few weeks ago. Boruch Hashem, I'm holding by shavuos now and the cheesecakes smell delicious!

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:58 pm
flowerpower wrote:
How do you people just turn over a half a kitchen? It would never fly here! No pesach stuff allowed unless there is zero chometz in the kitchen!

maybe they don't eat in the kitchen and don't bring chometz in at all. just that they didn't cover up the milchige side. What I dunnno. I would hate to be in that state of limbo for weeks. It's too stressful.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics