Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you turning over??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

When are you turning over??
Thursday night.  
 28%  [ 42 ]
Motzi Shabbat.  
 27%  [ 41 ]
Sometime on Sunday.  
 21%  [ 32 ]
Wednesday  
 14%  [ 22 ]
Earlier  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 147

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:50 am
We also cook on yom tov. Nobody's making days' worth of meals here ahead of time.
I'm not hosting the seder this year, so we'll 'turn over' the kitchen on Sunday evening, I assume, although likely it won't be done 100% till Monday.

kalsee

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:10 am
planning on sunday night after bedikas chometz. I'm not being home for the first day of Pesach though.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 2:23 am
amother wrote:
I really dont know how u people turn over so late.....either you are all young couples or you live in israel and have only one day first days yt....I have to make giant pots of beets..compote..soup...lukshen...I have to turn over at least wednesday!
I live in Israel so I have one day, we are having the seder at friends, so I will have to make something but not the entire seder and we eat pareve the day meal. We also are just three of us at home. But even if we were more, I would turn over after shabbat because I would have all day sunday to cook. I dont want to be pesachdik more than I have to. And we also have only one eating space, so there will be chametz until there is no more chametz.

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:15 am
I've decided to turn over on Thursday night, and cook for shobbos in my pesach pots. I'll serve onto nice paperware. We'll keep any chometz in the living room, and do one final clean-and-sweep there after shobbos. The only chometz will be the challah. It will be fun to have more time to try making KLP cookies and desserts. During chol hamoed I don't have much time for baking.

sunflower_seed

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 4:53 am
wednesday iyh
last year we did a week in advance

RachelB

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 5:13 am
Trying for Wednesday nighht, but will be OK with Thursday

hila

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:08 am
I want to finish turning over Thursday night. We are eating in Shul for Shabbat. All my kids are coming for Seder, with extras for Shabbat. So we have a very full house. I want to cook a lot ahead.

I really need to clean more, as I am working every day till (and including) next Sunday.

And my kids have moved out, so I have NO help (except for dh who is wonderful) this year.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:42 am
olive oil....I hate cooking on yt .....the house gets dirty and and I have to get up real early to make sure it has enough time to cook...and besides...yt I like to relax.....even if I prepare everything b4 yt....I still have alot of work....just keeping the house clean especially after the sedarim with matzah all over the place.

tiredmommy

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:57 am
I know someone who is already turned over from before Shabbos. But she has a mother living in the neighborhood and her whole family eats there all this week.
My goal is to be turned over by Tuesday. I don't like to cook on YT and I will start cooking and freezing on Wednesday. We are having 17 people at each meal for the entire 8 days and I don't see how I can do it any later.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:05 am
tiredmommy wrote:
I know someone who is already turned over from before Shabbos. But she has a mother living in the neighborhood and her whole family eats there all this week.
My goal is to be turned over by Tuesday. I don't like to cook on YT and I will start cooking and freezing on Wednesday. We are having 17 people at each meal for the entire 8 days and I don't see how I can do it any later.

oh- I've had that crowd many times and you are doing it right! If you have babies at home you might even need another day or 2. This year we are only 7 people for the 1st days and 12 for the 2nd days so I hope to start cooking on Wednesday and I know it will be non stop with me still having to make sides and salads throughout yom tov.

pause

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
monday as in 2 days from now or erev pesach??

Erev Pesach

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:58 am
I'm finding it very interesting how many of you are turning your kitchen over so late! It takes me a full exausting day to kasher, cover everything, bring up stuff and unpack. Another day to do the grocery shopping and the other food orders. Then comes cooking and baking- meats, apple or veg kugals, ices, salads, cakes, cookies...... It takes a few days!!!!!! I like to do nothing erev yom tov and have my table completely set by then. We don't buy ready food either.

pause

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:17 am
flowerpower wrote:
I'm finding it very interesting how many of you are turning your kitchen over so late! It takes me a full exausting day to kasher, cover everything, bring up stuff and unpack. Another day to do the grocery shopping and the other food orders. Then comes cooking and baking- meats, apple or veg kugals, ices, salads, cakes, cookies...... It takes a few days!!!!!! I like to do nothing erev yom tov and have my table completely set by then. We don't buy ready food either.

I do the grocery shopping before. Kashering is dh's job, takes about 10 minutes. Covering takes another half-hour.
I am not being home for first days, so that explains how I can do it so late. But even if I would be home, I wouldn't kasher earlier than Sunday: there's still enough time to make fish and soup. We don't buy anything either, but we keep it reallllllllly simple. If we don't make, we don't have. We eat lots of fruits and veggies instead of cakes and cookies and ices.

But I do understand you because my mother is turning over tonight!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:28 am
I assume you either have very young kids or you both don't go for food. We have eaters kah and guest at every meal. I don't think serving peeled apples is impressive for them nor for my kids. Its a long day. How many oranges can a person eat? What about breakfast on yom tov? I don't cook much on yom tov and cooking and baking takes a lot of time. Lukshin alone takes a while to make. How does covering everything take a half hour? Shlepping up and unpacking the pesach stuff if like unloading an entire kitchen! Pots, dishes, mixers, crockpot, and millions more.

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:06 am
Whenever it happens it happens. We're almost finished all our true chametz, but since the kashering itself is not time consuming (oven only); the freezers are cleaned, the fridge will be done Tuesday night so I can shop Wednesday night, the counters get covered and the sinks have inserts, it's going to be last minute. It always is, regardless of what I plan.

abaker

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:28 am
thanks Liba & b from nj.....I decided to turn over wednesday night...cook & freeze thursday and sunday and monday for YT and keep a toaster oven in dining room for chametz! thanks for the tips, they were very helpful. =)

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:50 am
Just like last year, I clean Wednesday and kasher/turn over on Thursday. Then I cook KLP for shabat. We eat kitniyot anyway so besides croutons, all will be the same as usual. We will be eating pitot for motzi, and we're only using plastic. I'm going to cook big batches of salads and dips that will last me until the end of the holiday, which I keep in big tupperware boxes. For shabat hagadol, I'll serve it in small bowls, enough for that meal only, so that NOTHING that reaches the table will have to be put back in the kitchen/fridge. It makes for a very quick clean-up!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:11 pm
To those who are having lots of company, and dont have a Pesach kitchen, has anyone NOT turned over yet? If you are having lots of company and dont have a Pesach kitchen, when are planning on turning over to start the cooking and baking for a crowd?

black sheep

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:28 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I assume you either have very young kids or you both don't go for food. We have eaters kah and guest at every meal. I don't think serving peeled apples is impressive for them nor for my kids. Its a long day. How many oranges can a person eat? What about breakfast on yom tov? I don't cook much on yom tov and cooking and baking takes a lot of time. Lukshin alone takes a while to make. How does covering everything take a half hour? Shlepping up and unpacking the pesach stuff if like unloading an entire kitchen! Pots, dishes, mixers, crockpot, and millions more.

I don't have a pesach kitchen, so yes, putting away all the chometz pots and dishes and schlepping in and finding place for all the pesach pots, dishes, etc takes almost a whole day. That will be my wednesday this week, kashering, lining, and bringing in the pesach items. I know I won't have time or energy for anything else that day.

I also have bigger kids who are eaters, we eat home every meal plus we have company, but 2 days cooking and baking is plenty! as long as my kitchen is fully pesach functional by friday, including grocery shopping done, I can spend all day sunday and monday baking and cooking. I did it like this last year and it worked out perfectly.

for breakfast on yom tov we all eat pesach cakes that I bake (brownies, apple cake...) it is the only time of the year that I let the kids have cake for breakfast. when I was younger, I used to eat matzo meal mixed with sugar and milk, but none of my kids seem to like it.

for myself, as long as coffee remains kosher l'pesach, I am good to go Smile

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:36 pm
I'm aiming for tomorrow. I will set up a sandwich toaster etc in another room for chametz snacks and light meals. Maybe an electric ring if needed.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics