Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Best/ Worst / Funniest MM You Got
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:37 am
I guess less people gave homemade stuff since it was shabbos the day before.

You can certainly give healthy food without having to bake or cook. Cheese, bought chummous or other dips, cold cuts, bagged tuna, crackers or bought bread rolls or bagels, veggies or fruit that don't need preparing. (cherry tomatoes, grapes, soft fruit, or there is nothing wrong with a whole avocado) You can also buy cans or cartons of soup.

I prefer giving less items but good stuff. So a bag of cookies and a drink is great. It can go in the cupboard for another day. A few loose cookies, some loose candies, a single box of raisins, etc will often go to waste.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:37 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Best: when people take time and effort out of their busy lives to put together a gift basket just for me and deliver it to my doorstep

Worst: when people complain anonymously online about the gifts they've been given

I was going to say something along those lines. We only got a small handful of MM, I appreciated that people came to give. Honestly, before the imamother days, there was a lot that I didn't know... I never knew that there could be a "worst" mm - even if there is stuff inside that I don't want, to say "worst"?

Although I will say this - one person came by the day after Purim with a basket and told me that she made so many extra so here ya go... AND it had a pack of gum cigarettes (who knew they still made those!?). Hello, I just lost my mother to lung cancer. So thanks for the afterthought, and thanks for the cancer toy candy.

little_mage

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:03 pm
I was highly amused by the St. Patrick's Day one (green bag with shamrocks on it...)

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:19 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
there are plenty of alcoholic beverages that don't require a marking. there are kashrus lists of these items. certain drinks do not need to be listed, either.

non-drinkers don't seem to know this ... ah such a waste of good stuff down the drain

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:29 pm
Good: Last year a neighbor gave us a mini pizza, small salad and a small bottle of cola. That was great.

Strangest: A few years back (in a different building) we got a can of apple sauce and three olives. I have no idea what that was about, but I suspect that someone realized they where one short for the building and was trying to find anything to make it up.

More Good: Oh in the same year as the apple sauce olive mm, a different neighbor made a whole little sefardi lunch plate and gave it to us hot (she only did it for the building and made sure to only use ingredients with heksherim that the ashkenazi neighbors could eat as well.) We really loved that! It was in our house for 5 minutes before DH and I ate it all. Smile

This year I am in the hospital and got a few mm sent to me from friends filled with hospital appropriate nosh (one had chips and salsa, another was a plate of home made goodies, one was a bag of yoghurts and granola, and my roommate's husband brought me a box of lemonnana and a bag of crackers). While all of these where nice in their own right I especially appreciated that people took the time to think of me and try to make the day a bit nicer.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:32 pm
the best were the ones I got & the knowledge that I was thought of

the best were also the ones I did not get to leave behind an unwanted mess

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:37 pm
I didnt get much. ( made only 9...kept it very simple.)
I got none that I liked. The worst one looked classy but was just a plastic nice box filled with white candies and a teeny envelope of pumpkin seeds.
I liked the one I gave the best...and got good feedback. I made hummus, an eggplant dip, and an olive salad with a package of crackers.

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:40 pm
OH, Once I got one filled with pesach food. THAT was a great idea.

ElTam

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:43 pm
We got so much yummy stuff I couldn't pick just one as best. My kids ripped most of them open, so I can't say which was the cutest, because they were in pieces. I loved all the hamentaschen because I baked my own.

The only bad one was a veggie salad that had gone rancid.

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:58 pm
ButterflyGarden wrote:
OH, Once I got one filled with pesach food. THAT was a great idea.

yeah, we got that too, what a great idea!

mom4many

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:15 pm
deena19k wrote:
I gave potato kugels this year. I made 25 and honestly it was way too much work. I never want to see a potato again! Only 4 pans fit into my oven at a time so took forever. And freezing potato kugel gives it a funny taste, so I made them all fresh saturday night. Giving junk food is alot less work, so will probably go back to doing that next year!

I've made that mistake too, but don't give up yet! Some things freeze well (like carrot kugel) and Purim doesn't always fall on Motzei shabbos!

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:22 pm
My DS got a personal size pizza, still warm (with a soda can) which he promptly gobbled up. It was in a microwavable container, so he could have easily warmed it up if needed.

We got a few of the salads that Postiv advertised this year. Those that weren't eaten on Purim were very much enjoyed on Shushan Purim (for breakfast!!)

We also got - in a tall clear container - a vanilla yogurt with toppings in baggies (granola and mini M&Ms). Looked cute, appetizing and easy to eat right then.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 4:21 pm
My 'worst' one was one that was homemade with no indication of whether the food was pareve, milchigs, or fleishigs. I also couldn't tell what the food was exactly. There was something that looked like a roll but may have been a muffin and some sauce/dip that I couldn't figure out. The person's a good cook so I felt bad throwing it out but I wasn't comfortable calling to ask her what she sent.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 5:38 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Best: Pizza and beer.

I got that too...maybe we have the same friend Smile

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:01 pm
Healthy mishloach manos doesn't have to take long to assemble. For ex: Baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, Hummus & bags of pretzel chips or melba toast.
Someone sent over 2 potato knishes as part of their mishloach manos. I thought it was a great idea!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:03 pm
mom4many wrote:
I've made that mistake too, but don't give up yet! Some things freeze well (like carrot kugel) and Purim doesn't always fall on Motzei shabbos!

I gave potato kugels too. however, I made them in custard size foil tins. so everyone got one very mini kugel with a couple of other non-junk items. I made a triple batch of kugel batter and got 30 mini kugels.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:16 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Best: Pizza and beer.

was it homemade pizza or pizzeria pizza? Im taking notes for next year.... Very Happy

morahtikvah

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:26 pm
My kids got little homemade sorbets from friends. They were fine to leave by the door because it is still below freezing here.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:52 pm
We had cute themed ones to nice plates with fancy/pretty baked goods, some coffee mugs with a muffin/cinnamon roll, etc. I really enjoyed realizing how different they can be (we have friends in many different neighborhoods), but how they were consistent within one neighborhood. One neighborhood clearly more focused on packaging - glass containers, fancy boxes with printed color coordinated labels, etc. even the kid ones from that neighborhood were in fancy containers with paper shreds. Another neighborhood more about the themes - some extremely creative. One that sticks out was the 7 days of maaseh beraishis. That's the one we didn't disassemble until after seudah because we had to show it to everyone. I enjoyed all of them. There are the "regulars" who always make the same things - yummy applesauce, sub sandwich, salami stick & beer. These are the items that we look forward to every year. We also got a hot dog in a homemade bun with homemade toppings. All the real food ones are always appreciated, and the salads. Lots of items in glass containers this year.

Okay, reading this makes it sound like we had a ton. It wasn't really that many. Just a big variety.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:17 pm
We got one that said We "WIC" You a Happy Purim! Milk, small cherries and beans were included stuff u get from wic!
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics