Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Best/ Worst / Funniest MM You Got
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 9:24 pm
Best:
-homemade brined vegetables, olives and salami studded bread
-box of chocolate leaves, whole pineapple, grape juice
-lokshen kugel and potato kugel
-coffee muffins and bottled cappuccino

Cutest:
-a donate blood and platelets medical kit with adorable accessories and candies from someone who donates platelets every week

sky

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:02 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I'm not going to play best and worst here, but I'd like to mention one thing: every year people spend a lot of money on fancy looking candy made in china. my family takes those things and moves them right to the trash. this goes along with the non-kosher small liquor bottles. please check what you are giving and make sure they are things you would be ok with your own family ingesting.

We recently stopped eating candy made in china because of Kashrus reasons. Unfortunately I did give gum (throw tomatoes) made in China, and gave it after some research but it was a mistake that I bought it. I didn't take anything away from kids even from China as long as it had a reputable hechsher, there is enough we don't eat that I had to limit it more.

We also got bottles of non-kosher liquor - like flavored rum - with no markings.

Worst: Candy (from china) that looked like gel deodorant, seriosly, a gel (apple flavor) came out of holes. It was so disgusting. My kids were all fighting about trading for it but in the end it tasted disgusting and ended up in the garbage without me asking.

Best: Fresh vegetable salad, A whole French bread fresh from the bakery, Bread sticks and chummus in the car, 2 yerushalmi kugels, Fruit Soup, Strawberry Drink

Best - I didn't receive but saw at someone else's house - yogurt kit: Norman Greek Yogurt, Blueberries and Granola packaged so simply but perfectly. Loved It!

Funniest: It was adorable - but had no food and everything ended up in the garbage. So it was really a waste.

Prettiest: Mini Mooses packed so beautifully. I just felt bad - all that hard work for my kids to devour in seconds (they got it for dessert today after behaving while I worked)

Last edited by sky on Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
Worst: My 5 yr old got a MM from a friend with a can of coke. All the candy and junk is bad enough, but to give out soda to kindergarten kids? Really?

I gave out soda cans to pre1A boys (and 2nd grade boys). People should just chill- being a mom should not mean you can't chill a little on Purim. How nice of that young boy to come over and give your child MM- if you don't like what's in it, dump it or give away.

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

anonymom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Worst: My 5 yr old got a MM from a friend with a can of coke. All the candy and junk is bad enough, but to give out soda to kindergarten kids? Really?

It seems like my kids got a soda in every one of their many shalach manos. It's horrible. I gave water bottles along with some junk.

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:08 pm
anonymom wrote:
It seems like my kids got a soda in every one of their many shalach manos. It's horrible. I gave water bottles along with some junk.

Soda is horrible and junk food isn't?

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aetrsnrady

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:09 pm
Best:
-bagel, cream cheese, mini jelly, muffin
-deli sandwich and soup
-pizza and soda
-kugel and grape juice
-cut up fruit
-vegetable platter with chumus

Cutest:
Police theme: coffee and donut
Airplane theme: chips, nuts, pretzels, water, eye mask

sky

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:09 pm
gold21 wrote:
Soda is horrible and junk food isn't?

I think a lot of it is peer pressure. I gave enough nosh so my kids didn't insist on the soda. but its important for the boys to give something they see as chashuv and for many boys soda fits the bill.
My 2 young sons each got 7 - 8 sodas. My rule is they can have one on Friday for lunch when they come home from school. this way it really spreads out.

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:12 pm
sky wrote:
I think a lot of it is peer pressure. I gave enough nosh so my kids didn't insist on the soda. but its important for the boys to give something they see as chashuv and for many boys soda fits the bill.
My pre-1A son and second grader each got 7 - 8 sodas. My rule is they can have one on Friday for lunch when they come home from school. this way it really spreads out.

I guess,
I just find it funny how the men party away, get drunk and let loose, and the women are at home analyzing the junk in shalach manos. Let loose girls.

Anyway, we got a lot of stuff that I didn't care for, for example we got A LOT of Laffy Taffys (cavity central). But it's all good. The kids have a few and I dump the rest. And I brush their teeth well. Wink

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:14 pm
Best: the ones where we took pictures with the other family and schmoozed and had a good time

Worst: the ones where the recipients were away for yom tov

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:17 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Junk, junk, and more junk == worst.

Unfortunately, the only "real" food we got this year were a few rolls with chumus, and 1 yogurt. The homemade baked goods I put in the freezer for Shabbos, and we'll enjoy them, but I missed getting vegetables/salads/soups/kugels, etc something I could eat that was filling on Purim itself Sad

same here, HY. only real food was chumus and vegetable sticks, no kugels this year, and I was hoping to have a kugel for shabbos from my neighbor who ususally gives kugels!
too much candy instead!
There is a dentist in my city who is paying kids to buy their candy! I think its a great idea, but I cant convince my kids!

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:21 pm
boysrus wrote:
same here, HY. only real food was chumus and vegetable sticks, no kugels this year, and I was hoping to have a kugel for shabbos from my neighbor who ususally gives kugels!
too much candy instead!
There is a dentist in my city who is paying kids to buy their candy! I think its a great idea, but I cant convince my kids!

Our Family MM was super healthy. Not the Kiddie one though. But I get good feedback, the adults really seem to like the healthy MM, and often give it to their kids too. The best part is that I can nosh on my own MM while I make it, without guilt.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:22 pm
gold21 wrote:
Our Family MM was super healthy. Not the Kiddie one though. But I get good feedback, the adults really seem to like the healthy MM, and often give it to their kids too. The best part is that I can nosh on my own MM without guilt.
So let's hear about your MM Smile

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So let's hear about your MM Smile

LOL I'll PM you, I don't want people to figure out my screen name (if they haven't already)

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:25 pm
I forgot. How could I forget. My favorite MM was from a poster on this site, a friend IRL since forever, who mailed me an MM. Thank you dear. Tongue Out

bigsis144

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:30 pm
No good mishloach manos. Everything was total junk (ring pops, laffy taffy, gumballs that paint your mouth purple/green/blue, etc.). A few baked goods (both homemade and store-bought), but all were rather blah. It's so sad when chocolate chip cookies are a disappointment.

The only decent (I.e. edible) stuff was in the Purim shuttle from DH's yeshiva: biscotti, sparkling water, rice chips and some nuts.

Unfortunately, DS is old enough and perceptive enough that I can't just throw everything out, and he tried to intercept most of the mishloach manos at the door before I could even take a look... Rolling Eyes

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:37 pm
The best MM were those that included milk chocolate. I hide all the chocolate from the kids and let myself have one a day.

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:41 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
The best MM were those that included milk chocolate. I hide all the chocolate from the kids and let myself have one a day.

OMG You sound like me! disappointingly we did not get much milk chocolate at all this year! I guess everyone wanted to see me succeed on my diet!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:48 pm
I made a tomato/basil thin spaghetti salad that was well enjoyed from what I heard. I would have loved to get something similar in return Wink

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:49 pm
sky wrote:
We recently stopped eating candy made in china because of Kashrus reasons. Unfortunately I did give gum (throw tomatoes) made in China, and gave it after some research but it was a mistake that I bought it. I didn't take anything away from kids even from China as long as it had a reputable hechsher, there is enough we don't eat that I had to limit it more.

We also got bottles of non-kosher liquor - like flavored rum - with no markings.

Worst: Candy (from china) that looked like gel deodorant, seriosly, a gel (apple flavor) came out of holes. It was so disgusting. My kids were all fighting about trading for it but in the end it tasted disgusting and ended up in the garbage without me asking.

Best: Fresh vegetable salad, A whole French bread fresh from the bakery, Bread sticks and chummus in the car, 2 yerushalmi kugels, Fruit Soup, Strawberry Drink

Best - I didn't receive but saw at someone else's house - yogurt kit: Norman Greek Yogurt, Blueberries and Granola packaged so simply but perfectly. Loved It!

Funniest: It was adorable - but had no food and everything ended up in the garbage. So it was really a waste.

Prettiest: Mini Mooses packed so beautifully. I just felt bad - all that hard work for my kids to devour in seconds (they got it for dessert today after behaving while I worked)

there are plenty of alcoholic beverages that don't require a marking. there are kashrus lists of these items. certain drinks do not need to be listed, either. we've gotten very fancy alcohol that was not marked, not an item for which markings/listings was unnecessary, AND not listed. psa: frum liquor stores DO sometimes sell non-kosher beverages. do your research. at least ask the salesperson about the drink if you are unfamiliar with it. when in doubt, buy an old familiar classic.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:51 pm
Cutest - from a popular family that must have tons of people coming to the door, but did not spend a lot to make something cute--

An balloon with a few pieces of candy in it, decorated with markers by the kids & a curled ribbon tied to it. Very festive & happy. Obviously not the mm that was used to fulfill the mitsvah, but festive enough to make anyone who got it feel happy & in the spirit of Purim.

OK, so don't let the toddlers & babies chew on the balloon. Nothing is perfect.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics