Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Flu vaccine, for those who do give shots
1  2  3  Next

chanee

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:49 am
How important is it? What's the side affects? Please answer only if you do give the rest of the shots recommended by your pediatrician, thanks. I give all shots doctor's say to get. But flu vaccine because it's a new idea I'm not rushing to. Is it so important?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:57 am
It's like anything else. If you don't want your kids to suffer with the flu, give the vaccine. I do. Smile I already had kids suffer with H1N1.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:58 am
First of all, the flu shot is not new. The problem is, they have to change it every year because the flu evolves rapidly and they have to guess every year ahead of the season which kind of flu it's going to be. Because of this, the flu shot is not as effective as other vaccines, BUT it is effective enough that even if you do get the flu, it won't be as bad as without the shot. There can be a reaction, so the doctor will ask you to stay in the office for about 10 minutes just in case. There is very, very tiny infantesimal chance of a serious reaction, but all vaccines have that, it's a risk.The benefits of these vaccines far outweigh the risk IMO.

The flu, you need to remember, is not just a bad cold. it can be deadly. In 1918, the flu killed 30 million people. Even today, something like 20,000 people in America die from the flu every year. It's no joke. We all get the shot. My baby is too young to get it, so it was even more important for my family this year, in order to protect the baby.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 12:06 pm
again I want to reiterate that the shot is not new. giving it to everyone is a new concept in the last 10-15 years (growing up I had 1 friend who got it cause her sister had a medical issue, coudlnt get the shot so everyone around her had to get the shot)

all my kids get the shot as soon as they can (6 months). I got the swine flu shot, pregnant when it had just come out cause I didnt want to get it and I saw my sister in law suffer through the swine flu.

my niece had the flu last year and almost needed to go to the hospital cause of dehydration and just being sick.

I got the flu last year, even though I had the shot. I was sick for a total of 24-30 hours. I caught it cause I was flying a lot during that time and my immune system was low. I missed a total of 2 days of work and while I was off I was able to do work at home. If I didnt have the flu shot I am assuming I would have been out for at least 3 days without being able to keep up with work from home.

I am a teacher so I see kids out of school all the time for the flu. My kids B"H have had the shot every year and we havent dealt with the flu itself (ages 10,7 and 3). I would feel horrible if I had to watch them suffer through the flu without anything to help them, suffering through a bad cold is bad enough.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 12:12 pm
I give it to my kids but not to myself.
I find that it has no effect. I usually get the flu with or without the shot

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 12:35 pm
According to The Cochrane Report, the flu shot is not effective. It does have risks as do all vaccines. (A 19 yo just died a few weeks ago after getting the shot.)
I am not anti-vaccine. Everyone except for my baby has received vaccinations. But the flu shot is simply ineffective (guess work), risky (as all vaccines are, but live virus vaccines even more which the flumist is), and for the most part unnecessary (our bodies with healthy immune systems can handle disease and fight it off -- the deaths reported lump together flu and pneumonia, as per an article in the BMJ).

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:09 pm
I give the shot cuz when I don't my daughter gets the flu and its pure misery.
This year Im pregnant so I got the shot too. Was a little under the weather the next 2 days but that was all. BH am feeling great while the rest of the family without the shot is having colds and strept.

tweety1

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:09 pm
I used to not give untill my son and hub and the swine flu a few days apart from each other. On one occasion my dd came down with the flu despite the shot but it was strain b and therefore much milder. Strain A u can't get if u get the shot strain b there's a sm possibility but strain B is a much milder in general

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:10 pm
This year Im pregnant so I got the shot too. Was a little under the weather the next 2 days but that was all. BH am feeling great while the rest of the family without the shot is having colds and strept.

deena19k

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:18 pm
Anyone know if you can get the vaccine if you have an egg allergy? Here in Israel, they say not to, but I heard in America it's not a problem?

farm

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:19 pm
Are you related to chanees?
Did you start this thread to stir up trouble?

PAMOM

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:25 pm
This year's flu vaccine is 80-85% effective. If you can, check Ametican Academy of Pediatrics online or the CDC website. Ask the dr about givi g Tykenol beforehand-- the main unpleasant effect is a sore arm and this will help prevent. I do NOT want to get into a debate and so won't respond further, but since the vaccine ( the shot, not the nose spray) is a killed vaccine, it is impossible to get the flu from it. I have a compromised immune system so my docs check carefully as do I. I have the vaccination ( again -- I can't have the nose spray) each year.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:

The flu vaccine will do nothing to prevent strep throat. Absolutely nothing. Your correlation is pointless.
But I'm glad you're not sick, and you should continue having good health! Refuah sheleima to the rest of the family Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 1:56 pm
I just want to mention that elderberry syrup is proven effective at combating the flu virus. No side effects from that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:01 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I used to not give untill my son and hub and the swine flu a few days apart from each other. On one occasion my dd came down with the flu despite the shot but it was strain b and therefore much milder. Strain A u can't get if u get the shot strain b there's a sm possibility but strain B is a much milder in general
I'm curious where your information is from.
There are thousands of strains of the flu. Once you have gotten one, you have developed immunity to it and will not get that strain again.
The vaccine manufacturers well in advance of the flu season guess which will be most prevalent: 2 types A and 1 or 2 types B.
There is not 100% efficacy for any of them. And one may contract any other strain.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:01 pm
Oh yeah, forgot to mention: it can take up to two weeks for the shot to be effective, so it is possible to catch the flu within that window. That's the main reason why people think you can get the virus from the shot- because they came down with it a few days after getting the shot, when in fact, they were most likely exposed before and it hit them then, during that window before it takes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:05 pm
deena19k wrote:
Anyone know if you can get the vaccine if you have an egg allergy? Here in Israel, they say not to, but I heard in America it's not a problem?

Some are made in egg, some are not. It could be in Israel they are all manufactured with egg.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:06 pm
I took it last year. I'd rather be sick for a day with a flu shot than end up sick for weeks and end up with bronchitis or pneumonia ch"v. Once you've had the flu badly, you'll never want to experience it again.
Haven't had it yet this year as my insurance switched and we need a new doctor.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:07 pm
morah wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention: it can take up to two weeks for the shot to be effective, so it is possible to catch the flu within that window. That's the main reason why people think you can get the virus from the shot- because they came down with it a few days after getting the shot, when in fact, they were most likely exposed before and it hit them then, during that window before it takes.

Actually, http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/q.....fects the flu shot side effects themselves are "flu like symptoms" -- aches and fever. It may not be the actual virus, but these are the COMMON (not rare) side effects from the vaccine.
From the live virus, flumist vaccine, one can get the flu from it. That's the case with all live virus vaccines.

smss

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:

This year Im pregnant so I got the shot too.

just want to point out that the flu shot has not been tested for safety in pregnant women.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics