Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Looking for the most delicious NON-chocolate cake recipe!
1  2  Next

MrsDash

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:02 am
Today's my husband's birthday, and I wanted to make him a birthday cake from scratch. Does anyone have a delicious, or a favorite cake recipe they can share? Something basic, but very yummy. Like a Yellow, Sponge, Pound, or Vanilla cake. (Nothing chocolate though.)

Thanks!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:14 am
The yellow cake from Kosher Palette is really good. Shanie5 posted the recipe in this thread:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

lollygirl

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:17 am
greeneyes, I think it's your recipe posted on here but your strawberry shortcake is a STAPLE in our house!

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 8:23 am
this is really the best cake!! and it's pretty easy.

~~cinnamon swirl "pound" cake~~

cake:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. orange juice

cinn, mixture:
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar

crumbs:
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil

mix cake ingredients
pour 1/3 of the batter into a tube/bundt pan
sprinkle 1/2 cinn. mixture
pour another 1/3 of the batter
sprinkle rest of cinn mixture
pour rest of batter
sprinkle crumbs on top
bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour

I make the cinn mix and crumbs in plastic bowls so I don't have so many bowls to wash. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Once I did it I realized that it was really simple and easy and I even made it again.
Enjoy!

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 8:48 am
I love a pure sponge cake. theres one in the spice and spirit that is so good, I've banned myself from making it. (being oil free does not make it calorie free....) But you need to beat the egg whites. Btw my husband can't stand it - he hates sponge cake, so make sure yours likes sponge.

let me know if you want me to type it up.

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 12:11 pm
greeneyes wrote:
The yellow cake from Kosher Palette is really good. Shanie5 posted the recipe in this thread:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

And when I saw this thread, I was gonna say to use the yellow cake.

middy

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 1:35 pm
alwaybhappy wrote:

cake:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. orange juice

cinn, mixture:
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar

crumbs:
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil

mix cake ingredients
pour rest of batter
sprinkle crumbs on top

I make the cinn mix and crumbs in plastic bowls so I don't have so many bowls to wash. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Once I did it I realized that it was really simple and easy and I even made it again.
Enjoy!

this sounds yum! going to try it now!

checkbefore

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 3:26 pm
The Honey cake posted by pinktichel on this site is very moist and soooo easy.

hadasa

Post Fri, Apr 27 2012, 4:16 am
alwaybhappy wrote:

cake:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. orange juice

cinn, mixture:
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar

crumbs:
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil

mix cake ingredients
pour rest of batter
sprinkle crumbs on top

Enjoy!
I've made this recipe before, but now I'm suddenly confused. 1 1/4 WHAT of cocoa?

SS6099

Post Fri, Apr 27 2012, 4:22 am
Both this cinnamon cake and strawberry short cake are YUM! I second both of them.
Happy birthday Smile

shoemaker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2012, 6:58 am
how about the carmel bundt cake? its easy & yumm. ull find the recipe here.

be good

Post Fri, Apr 27 2012, 8:11 am
Ugly Cake
This is a delicious, very moist, flavorful yellow cake. I have made it dozens of times! you can throw in blueberries, or try the other variations from aish.com. http://www.aish.com/f/r/48905912.html

(makes 1 8" or 9" round cake)
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk or rice milk
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

topping ((opt- if not frosting it))
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Position a rack in the center of the oven. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the cake pan with cooking spray and flour it lightly. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the flour, milk, egg, baking powder, vanilla and salt and mix until moistened. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat at medium for an additional three minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. When cooled, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake before turning out of the pan.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 27 2012, 1:55 pm
hadasa wrote:
I've made this recipe before, but now I'm suddenly confused. 1 1/4 WHAT of cocoa?

I think teaspoons
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....70568

hadasa

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 10:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
hadasa wrote:

I think teaspoons
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....70568

Yeah, that's what I did the first time I made the recipe. This time, for some reason, I put in 1 1/4 CUP. Don't ask. Sad Very Happy embarrassed

etky

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:36 am
The yellow cake recipe from the Kosher Palette is my go-to recipe except that I beat the eggs and sugar first for about 2 minutes until fluffy, then add the liquid ingredients (I add more vanilla, up to 2 Tblsp.) and then the dry ingredients. I also usually add 1 package of instant vanilla pudding with the dry ingredients. The beauty of the recipe is that it can be varied in infinite ways. I have made lemon cake (adding lemon peel and lemon pudding), orange cake (w/ orange peel), choc. chip cake, marble cake (by adding some cocoa and almond extract to a bit of the batter), apple cake, crumb cake, maple walnut cake, cinnamon cake, coconut cake, etc. My latest twist on this cake was lemon poppyseed cake with a lemon glaze that I gave out for Mishoach Manot on Purim. I generally bake the batter in 3 loaf pans (called English Cake pans in Israel). I mix in the added flavorings (extracts, spices, citrus rind, fruit, choc, chips, nuts, coconut, crumb topping etc.) to the basic batter right in the pan so that each cake a different flavor. Then I freeze the cakes that I won't be using immediately. I always keep a stock in the freezer. It's nice that I can pull them out whenever I need them and even put together a cake platter with 2 or 3 different cakes (from the same recipe!) at a moments notice.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 2:46 pm
etky wrote:
The yellow cake recipe from the Kosher Palette is my go-to recipe except that I beat the eggs and sugar first for about 2 minutes until fluffy, then add the liquid ingredients (I add more vanilla, up to 2 Tblsp.) and then the dry ingredients. I also usually add 1 package of instant vanilla pudding with the dry ingredients. The beauty of the recipe is that it can be varied in infinite ways. I have made lemon cake (adding lemon peel and lemon pudding), orange cake (w/ orange peel), choc. chip cake, marble cake (by adding some cocoa and almond extract to a bit of the batter), apple cake, crumb cake, maple walnut cake, cinnamon cake, coconut cake, etc. My latest twist on this cake was lemon poppyseed cake with a lemon glaze that I gave out for Mishoach Manot on Purim. I generally bake the batter in 3 loaf pans (called English Cake pans in Israel). I mix in the added flavorings (extracts, spices, citrus rind, fruit, choc, chips, nuts, coconut, crumb topping etc.) to the basic batter right in the pan so that each cake a different flavor. Then I freeze the cakes that I won't be using immediately. I always keep a stock in the freezer. It's nice that I can pull them out whenever I need them and even put together a cake platter with 2 or 3 different cakes (from the same recipe!) at a moments notice.

BRILLIANT!

mom2be1

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 5:02 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:
etky wrote:

BRILLIANT!

How do you make the crumbs?

willow

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 2:45 am
etky could you post the recipe please?
Thank you

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:57 pm
Here it is willow:

Yellow cake from kosher palette:

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking powder (yes not teaspoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oil
1 cup Orange juice (I use soy milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Add the rest till well blended. 9x13 pan. bake 325 for 50 minutes or till done.

willow

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:03 am
Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins