Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Music production for the non-musical

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 8:51 am
Is this at all possible? My teenage son, who is obsessed with computers, was offered to take a course in music production. (is that what it is called?) Basically, he would go to a studio and learn how to use the program LogicPro to record and mix music. He is eager to do this because he loves computers and he loves listening to music.

I am potentially interested in sending him because he has a lot of time on his hands and uses it to try to hack computers, get around filters, and spend hours watching/listening on YouTube. (he doesn't do it for trouble; he does the hacking and filter stuff because it's fun and he loves outsmarting technology).

However, he has 0 ear for the music itself. Meaning, he is not musical. He can't sing on key. He doesn't understand what harmony is.

I am thinking I should say no (I'd have to pay for the course; not cheap) but on the other hand, maybe having another avenue of something healthy(?) to do with a computer would be a good outlet for him.

Course, he listens to all sorts of music, ranging from Jewish to weird non-Jewish (he often has contests with his siblings to see who can find the weirdest song). I don't need him producing more of the weird stuff he enjoys.

WWYD?

To clarify: he would learn all this at a local studio AND would be allowed to go in and practice (and bring in his family to record) at his leisure. It's a bit of a loose studio and they are okay with him doing that.

Knowing him, I'm sure he will be asking for a MAC very soon. We don't have any Apple devices and I wasn't really interested in getting one for our house.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:33 am
I’ve run a music studio and for most aspects you have to be extremely musical.
When he is mixing he will be dealing with volumes and harmonies and and how wet or dry a vocal is. He needs a good ear for all that.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:41 am
I’m curious as well, I also have an opportunity to learn music production but I don’t play any instruments. I am musical though, I am good at hearing and picking things out, and have a good ear for pitch and rhythm. But I can’t come up with harmonies on the spot. I can pick out tunes on piano, but very slowly. It doesn’t just come instinctively, I have to test a few keys before I find the right one for each note.

Would I be able to learn music production?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts