Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
A whole chicken

blueyes

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:48 am
I have a whole chicken (I usually buy just dark pieces). How can I make it good for supper?
Should I cook it in the oven? Or crockepot?
I need some idea pleasae, thanks!

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:09 am
I've cooked a whole chicken in the oven with a rice stuffing.

First I saute some veggies like onion, garlic, colored peppers, zucchini etc added salt and pepper. Cook rice added vegetables to the rice and added paprika and stuff the chicken with the rice. Put some garlic, paprika, salt and pepper on the chicken, cover it and stick it in the oven for approx 45 min-hour and then cook uncovered for 30 min or even less but check on it periodically.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:11 am
I love to bake whole chickens. They come out very juicy. You can even make a stuffing for the center cavity.

I would sprinkle sea salt, lots of rosmary and dill, crushed fresh garlic all over, some lemon juice and dabble honey all over, bake breast down first, turn it over last half hour. And if you want it to crisp really well, spray it with oil and bake uncovered.

As far as stuffing, you can take some bread, cut off crusts, make wet, squeeze, add some egg, lots of dill and cut up fresh garlic, some sugar a little salt and stuff it in.

Enjoy!

reed

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:14 am
I just put spices all over it, and bake or grill.

Susie Fischbein has a great rotisserie style baked chicken recipe. I mix up a large batch of the spices every now and then to have handy quick chicken. If you want the recipe later, let me know.

blueyes

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:17 am
thanks!

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:20 am
reed wrote:
I just put spices all over it, and bake or grill.

Susie Fischbein has a great rotisserie style baked chicken recipe. I mix up a large batch of the spices every now and then to have handy quick chicken. If you want the recipe later, let me know.

I'd love the spice recipe.

Thanks.

reed

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 2:35 am
Slow Roasted Rotisserie Chicken - from Kosher by Design Entertains

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning, check ingredient list for hickory or mesquite
1 (3-5 pound) whole chicken

Preheat oven to 300.
In a small bowl, mix the salt, garlic salt, papper, brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, onion powder, and barbecue seasoning.
Rub the spice mix all over the skin of the chicken. If time permits, place the chicken into the refrigerator, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or up to overnight; this will help the skin crisp.
Place the chicken on a rack in a baking dish. Roast for 2 hours at this low temperature. During the last hour of cooking time, baste every 1/2 hour with the pan juices.

This recipe comes out delicious every time, and it's so easy! I mix a large batch of the spice mix in a jar to cut down on the preparation time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus