Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New Kitchen

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:04 pm
Doing an extension on house in Lakewood and putting in a brand new kitchen. Trying to get a feel for what I like and what's in style. Anyone recently put in new kitchen and can guide me as to what cabinets are tending right now. I think I'd like stained wood.
Pictures a plus!

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:08 pm
I'd suggest you browse Houzz. Lots of professional pictures.

But be wary of going too trendy, unless you want to redo your kitchen again in a few years when things go out of style. Better get what you like and will make you smile every time you walk in.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 10:39 am
Thanks!
Definitely don't want to trendy but do want updated

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:17 am
Google white oak kitchens
Also follow some Instagram accounts for ideas - interiorsbyssb, lasermarble, tamiroseninteriors, ariellahorowiz

I have a few others but need to look them up. You’ll see the trends. I happen to love this look, so that’s what I’d choose to do anyway.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:39 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Google white oak kitchens
Also follow some Instagram accounts for ideas - interiorsbyssb, lasermarble, tamiroseninteriors, ariellahorowiz

I have a few others but need to look them up. You’ll see the trends. I happen to love this look, so that’s what I’d choose to do anyway.

Don't have Instagram but thanks

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:41 pm
White oak means a tan/natural color right?
That's what's updated now correct?

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:50 pm
It make absolutely no sense to ask what is "trendy" because you are the person who will be living with the kitchen for many years.

In terms of the "style' of the kitchen, just look on the internet and save the kitchens that immediately appeal to you. I did a gut remodel of my home before the pandemic and this is what I did to start the process.

I still love my kitchen and it bears no resemblance to what was trendy at the time and still doesn't

FWIW my kitchen cabinets are rift sawn white oak that are stained a medium brown and the doors are inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright architecture.

White oak is a species of oak that is different than the more common red oak. It doesn't have the "pink" undertones of red oak and has less grain than red oak. It is not necessarily lighter in color than red oak as that depends on the stain but it has a more neutral look to it than red oak.

The other critical factor is how you want your kitchen to function. Think long and hard about what you want in your kitchen for your specific needs.

Think about how you load your refrigerator and plan for landing pads on counters that are convenient.

There are certain universal best designs including the work triangle and deep drawers for lower cabinets but there are others that really reflect how you use your kitchen

For example, I am relatively short so I had toe kick steps installed at the bottom of my cabinets so that I can access the top shelf without having to draft out a step stool

I have a storage site for my KA Mixer and Cuisinart so that it is behind a door but slides out to my cabinet so I don't have to shlep - my cabinet maker installed a miniature door at the side

I got a side opening wall oven so that I can stand directly in front of the oven to load and unload rather than to the side.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 1:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 1:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

As I posted, white oak is a species of wood and doesn’t reflect the color as they can be stained or not stained as you wish to any color.

They aren’t generally painted because white oak is considered to be a premium wood and is chosen specifically for how it looks. See my earlier post for a more detailed explanation

FWIW, if you want painted cabinets, the best choice is actually high quality MDF because real wood expands and contracts and so there will be some cracking. High quality MDF is stable and so a painted finish remains pristine.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 1:39 pm
I recently did my kitchen with white shaker cabinets & a white island, with gold hardware and faucets. I really like it!

I have a friend who did white shiny cabinets (no hardware) and a white oak island (stained light) also very pretty.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:51 pm
Find an intelligent place for the garbage.
it is not an afterthought.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:54 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I recently did my kitchen with white shaker cabinets & a white island, with gold hardware and faucets. I really like it!

I have a friend who did white shiny cabinets (no hardware) and a white oak island (stained light) also very pretty.

Where did you get it? Did you have a kitchen designer?

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:54 pm
Go to some local kitchen showrooms and you'll get a sense of what you like and what's in

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:55 pm
You can also hire a designer who can help with whole process. Showing you pics of different styles, narrowing down what you like, helping you with decisions and selections.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 3:03 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
You can also hire a designer who can help with whole process. Showing you pics of different styles, narrowing down what you like, helping you with decisions and selections.

A really good kitchen designer can be the difference between something that is really fabulous and something that is just okay.

It is not just the aesthetics but the functionality that they assist with.

It sounds wonderful in theory to completely design your kitchen but I remember the day she and I went through the configuration of each of my cabinets. How deep for each drawer? Where did I want to store knives? It is amazing how many decisions have to be made,

I also was so grateful to not have to make the decision as to exactly where the knobs and pulls would go - my designer knew exactly where to place them. I agonized enough about actually selecting the style (with her help) so I was glad not to have to think about exactly where on the door they went.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 5:06 pm
I am a kitchen designer. Wood is in style. Especially lighter stains, and white oak/rift white oak. Shaker style doors are still in as well as slab doors. Skinny Shaker is very in. In painted cabinets I am seeing more ivory/cream and less bright white. I am also seeing quite a few 2-tone kitchens with light or painted uppers and darker/wood base cabinets; and a fair number of TSS cabinets —TSS stands for thermally textured surface, and is not wood.

The problem with "in" is that over time it becomes "out."

It's a good idea to cut out pics in magazines and/or create IdeaBooks on websites like houzz to try to see what you consistently like. Always label pics as to what you like about a particular kitchen.

A kitchen designer can help you with effective layout, traffic patterns, how spaces inter-relate, and with details such as exactly what will be stored in a particular cabinet for maximum efficiency. There are an incredible number of of additional decisions that come with a kitchen redesign ranging from appliances to countertops to tiles to handles.

Here is a recent kitchen I did that is "in:" https://design613.com/ (the cover pic). The cabinets are natural bamboo.

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 6:07 pm
I got mine from highline kitchen in Lakewood. It’s the most stunning natural color laminate on bottom and thin white shaker on top with gold handles. It’s such a soft look, I find it soothing. You can call him up and ask for pictures of what he does.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:52 pm
So many helpful responses!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics